• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bad graphics? Bad construction? Bad game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I have not played PBR but I have played Colloseum and XD, gale of darkness and those games have the most bad graphics of all games I have ever played. Even Stadium to N64 is better. The movements of pkmn is not well done, they cannot even walk to their opponent when attacking (luckily, this is changed in PBR). In pkmn DP the movements when they attack are not well done either.
    In Colloseum the Pokémon looks plastic, they have few details and they are pointy. My friend is also complaining about this, even if he does not play any of the games.
    At least PBD is much better than pkmn Colloseum, but it seems the Pokémon games will always have the graphics of the console before the console they are released to. (colloseum could have been released to N64 with silimar graphics, D/P to GBA but maybe without the 3D and the need of the touch screen)
    Only the first games, Green/Red/Blue and Stadium are well done, but after all it was the first games and no one knew that Pokémon would be so popular. They had to do their best then, but now it seems that they do not try to achieve as much as they did then because there is no risk of Pokémon stops selling.
    Some people say that the grapics of the Pokémon games are well done and the designers cannot do it any better, but how can Square release Final Fantasy with such good graphics then? The game designers of Pokémon do not have to make the games looking like FF's graphics, because that is very hard, but at least they could make them a little better.
    (When I'm talking about graphics I am comparing to other games released to the same game console and during about the same year.)

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    To counter, Final Fantasy III for the DS had terrible graphics, and I'd place D/P's far above them. Pokemon is not designed to be 'realistic' like Final Fantasy attempts to do. The odds of a photo-realistic Pokemon game within the next ten years is so slim that I'd laugh at anyone who'd suggest it. It's not in the game's style.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    but it seems the Pokémon games will always have the graphics of the console before the console they are released to. (colloseum could have been released to N64 with silimar graphics, D/P to GBA but maybe without the 3D and the need of the touch screen)
    You know that you are saying the pure truth?
    Actually, Pokemon Colosseum was planned to be released on N64, actually in a cartrdge drive for it, the 64DD:

Searching in wikipedia i found a list of games that were going to be released to this drive.
    AND I found a game named: "Pocket Monsters 64 (also "Pocket Monsters RPG")"

Well as you can conclude looking here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64DD

Pokemon Colosseum (Pocket Monsters RPG) was going to be a game that used the original POKEMON STADIUM cartridge as a battle system, and a Expansion in 64DD as an RPG feature cartridge (with graphics similar to Digimon world 3).
    Cool no?

To counter, Final Fantasy III for the DS had terrible graphics
    FFIII is sooooooooo well done that would crush Zelda Majora´s Mask for the N64 (graphically).

and I'd place D/P's far above them
    Let´s compare?
    Intro:
    Pokemon Pealr:

FFIII:

Battle scene:
    Pokemon Diamond:

FFIII:

The odds of a photo-realistic Pokemon game within the next ten years is so slim that I'd laugh at anyone who'd suggest it. It's not in the game's style.
    Well ZELDA 1 fans said the same thing, and now they love the new photo-realistc Link.:)

Last edited:

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
    I think one of the reasons gamefreak didn't redo all the models, is because time. Fans would of already known that they had started to work on PBR(unless they kept it a secret), and then fans would put pressure, wanting it out more.

And even if they re-did some of the graphics, it might still look similar.

Yes, that may be the main factor for why they haven't redone mainy of the Pokemon. But thay can't keep these for ever, they have to redo them sometime. For me, I'm extremely dissapointed in Nintedo, Gamefreak, and the Pokemon Company for not taking the extra time to make this game greater then it would already be. But like I said, they cant use these same Graphics for those Pokemon forever....................dang, that makes me so mad!!! X_X

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    There are games that looks more cartoon than realistic, but the graphics can still be good. I was dissapointed in Zelda Windwaker, but still the graphics are better than in Pokémon.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    For me, a good graphic isn´t a photo-realistic one.
    For me well constructed graphics are much better, I would preffer a killing 2D game than a sucky 3D one.

Also by exploring the plataform´s limits you can make amazing games, even after years, many SNES games looks awesome due to it´s graphic structure.
    EX:

*Bahamut Lagoon (an animated gif, yay!):

*Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2):

*Tales of Phantasia:

*Terranigma (so well done that you may not belive that is a SNES game):

By showing this, you may notice how many of these games have better garphics than many DS games out there, why not better than D/P?
    And they were made in 1994-1996 ! More than 10 years!

These same games took about 2 years to be done in the SNES but, as result, we got those amazing games.
    I would love Game Freak to do that, imagine, what would be the final result?
    A game that will be so well constucted that would take years to be outdated!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    Yes, that may be the main factor for why they haven't redone mainy of the Pokemon. But thay can't keep these for ever, they have to redo them sometime. For me, I'm extremely dissapointed in Nintedo, Gamefreak, and the Pokemon Company for not taking the extra time to make this game greater then it would already be. But like I said, they cant use these same Graphics for those Pokemon forever....................dang, that makes me so mad!!! X_X

I agree, I think it would have made the game SO much better if they had remodeled all of the Pokemon. I am contemplating not buying BR because of the fact.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    Sure, the point of the game are battles.
    I have to say that I can´t complain about PBR´s battles, they´re amazing!
    But PBR still lack in originality and graphics.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    But is the point of the game the models? No.

Did I say the point of the game was the models? No.

I said I was contemplating not buying the game because of the fact that some of the graphics have not improved over TWO generations. Because they didn't take the time to re-do something that basic, it really makes me think that they didn't really give 100% when making this game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I think the graphics in the SNES games are better than the pkmn games to GBA and DS. But I have seen a SNES game looking like Pokémon though.

bruteroot

Grass Trainer
    Years
    i loved stadium 1 and 2 and loved colluseum coz it was a new way to play. it really helped me with double battles. and when i saw the video for this game i was amzed my jaw dropped! im 23 and loved pokemon since the beginning. i have no problems with the graphics or the fact theres no story mode coz its got wi-fi aswell!! come on this game is gonna be great!!!

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    Pokémon itself is the only thing that make this kind of game to sell.
    If it was a final fantasy or smth like that, there would be lots of complains.

PBR feature list:
    Graphics= sucks...
    Originality= sucks...
    Story= none...
    wi-fi= great!
    Trainer customization= it´s not recent but, great!

total= only 40% of this game is worth the money you pay in it.

Years
    Hmm, PBR honestly looks like something the N64 is capable of, I am more a Megadrive / SNES fellow myself, I usualy do not mind out of date graphics, atleast when it is A: a rerelease or B: On an old console. But PBR takes the cake, I could stand Col and XD having N64 graphics as of how many monsters there are now and none are recolours, but the Wii is much more powerful than the N64, so it could run a better graphical standard and the software has a larger storage capability so it could contain all the monsters at a higher graphical level.

There are no excuses for it being rushed, if memory serves there was atleast 2 years between G/R and the Japanese Stadium 2(Rest of the world's Stadium 1). I doubt many people would complain if they took their time to update all the models to atleast be upto date.

I will buy it, but not impressed.

@ Everyone who says Wii is not as powerful as 360 and PS3 as an excuse, it is also more powerful than an N64 ;) atleast sixfold.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    Hmm, PBR honestly looks like something the N64 is capable of, I am more a Megadrive / SNES fellow myself, I usualy do not mind out of date graphics, atleast when it is A: a rerelease or B: On an old console. But PBR takes the cake, I could stand Col and XD having N64 graphics as of how many monsters there are now and none are recolours, but the Wii is much more powerful than the N64, so it could run a better graphical standard and the software has a larger storage capability so it could contain all the monsters at a higher graphical level.

There are no excuses for it being rushed, if memory serves there was atleast 2 years between G/R and the Japanese Stadium 2(Rest of the world's Stadium 1). I doubt many people would complain if they took their time to update all the models to atleast be upto date.

I will buy it, but not impressed.

@ Everyone who says Wii is not as powerful as 360 and PS3 as an excuse, it is also more powerful than an N64 ;) atleast sixfold.

I agree totally. But knowing Nintendo, they'll come out with a newer better version soon enough. I can stand to wait. Because the graphics would bother me so bad that I wouldn't be able to get that out of my head. I mean REALLY some of the graphics haven't improved over TWO GENERATIONS! WTH!?

I know Nintendo is trying to stress "gameplay over graphics", but this just steps over the line. I hope they don't let it get to a point of where it becomes an excuse to make really bad looking games.

I'll wait.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    But why does Stadium have better graphics than Colloseum that was released 4 years later?

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    *Lazy/unprepared 3d modelers
    *Rushed game conversion from 64DD to GameCube
    *it´s pokémon (for me it´s an excuse)

I simply can´t understand why some people say that good graphics can´t work together with pokemon, and they would defend that with their lives...:knockedou

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    In another thread here at the forum, about Pokémon touching when striking each others, I've read that some people think that it is bad . . . when Pokémon have physical contact in battle. I don't understand how people can think that. Do some people want it to be bad graphics and all that?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back