• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen ban cheating!!!

Voltagenic

got djent?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    If it became against the law to use cheating devices, how the heck would you enforce it?

Years
    So I get the illegit pokemon off of him, dex them, and if I don't plan on using them and he doesn't want them back, throw them on the GTS to be someone else's problem. For instance, I had a level 10 Jirachi with maxed out stats and caught at Aqua Hideout- I threw it up on the GTS for a female Snorlax. Someone was happy about that one, and now I'm happy because I can get a munchlax, which I want more than a jirachi.
    Ha; what a good idea :D I might try that.

If it became against the law to use cheating devices, how the heck would you enforce it?
    A bunch of obsessive anti-cheaters come and incessantly complain; kinda like what they do now, but in person. xD

I don't understand how you could 'ban' cheating, either. :\

Sakamoto

Spriter
    Years
    I tend to use what's the best compromise in this situation. As a rule, I tend not to use AR Codes.

However, for my Fire Red and Emerald, I used room warp codes to get to Faraway Island, Birth Island and Navel Rock. From there I caught the Pokemon as I usually would.

I don't consider this cheating as I just used my AR to bypass getting a ticket.

Celebi can only be legitimately obtained (I think) by having attended some 10th Anniversary thing by Nintendo. Seeing as that event didn't even occur within 100 miles of me (not even sure if they did it at all in the UK), Nintendo gets the finger and I grab my Action Replay

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years

Nintendo is coming with a way to do so. It was reported at PPN that they were thinking of enforcing bans from GTS, Wi-fi battles etc, if people had used specific cheat codes.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    If Nintendo decides to do that, they damn well better have their events at EVERY LOCATION POSSIBLE. EVERY DAY. Even if you lived in the mountains. I say this because that ban will hurt those who can't make that stupid event. But I also sorta agree. I don't like battling overleveled, cheated "perfect" pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    Having a legal ban on cheat devices would be 10 times worse than any other messed up digital rights legislation that's been passed thus far. If you want to spoil your game on yourself, that's your business.

I do think it's dumb to gloat about hacked/cloned shinies, because getting them takes zero effort. If instead of hacked shinies in everyone's signatures, it was "look at me! I can maximize a window on my 'puter!" wouldn't they look like idiots?

Where hacking really does become an issue (and where Nintendo really ought to step up to the plate) is in matters of competitive battling and trading scams. Nintendo ought to do more to keep hackers off of the GTS and battling environments like PBR. There are tons of things they could be doing to detect hacked Pokémon (incl. Trainer Memo checks, EV cap checks, movesets, hidden values) but aren't. Just today I saw a shiny Latias on the GTS with a glitched name containing more than five Japanese characters. Come on, Ninty--that's obvious! Ban the user!

To keep everything fair, I would also ban the event legendaries (currently Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus) from serious competitive tournaments completely, even if the particular participant got them fairly. It's unfair to the rest of us who can't afford $200 airline tickets to New York that they're allowed to use them, and players can't be expected to cheat.

Pokémon like Lugia and Manaphy are completely fair. They're just extreme cases of "version exclusives"--no different than Glameow or Lunatone. Yes, it's a "buy more" scam, but such a scam is seen everywhere throughout Pokémon. One guy complains about a Manaphy because he doesn't own Ranger, and another complains about a Slowpoke because he doesn't own Leaf Green or Pearl.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Personal useage eh? You mean ONLY in-game? If you do, then would it be illegal to bring them in tournaments? Based on what you said, it sounds that if you had cheated pokemon, it could be difficult to actually use em outside of your own game.

And Ftkatyowser, that's amazing, your signature. I had no idea that the human mind worked like that. I read every word so easily, and didn't bevieve it.

Last edited:
    Years
    I only use cheating devices to get the tickets that allow me to get Pokemon like Mew. When I eventually get Pearl I would not use such a device if Nintendo releases event only Pokemon on the Wi-Fi Network.

nguyende

Student
    Years
    "...Nintendo did attempt to claim a copyright breach from the usage of a cheating device (Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc.) which didn't go well. We have the right to modify games for our own personal usage..."

"We have the right to modify games for our own personal usage"... meaning that, as long as it is only for our own personal usage, it is legal. Then, am I correct in saying that the trading of/battling with pokémon obtained through hacking systems (ie. GameShark, ActionReplay, etc.) outside of regular gameplay (trading/battling with another player) is illegal?

jakex

poketopia king
    Years
    don't ruin it for everyone i don't cheat but thats the only realistic way for everyone to get legends cheat haters

jakex

poketopia king
    Years
    don't ruin it for everyone i don't cheat but thats the only realistic way for everyone to get legends cheat haters, but i am against people using cheats just to get all the pokemon in the beggining of the game, its not right train get the national dex then cheat

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    don't ruin it for everyone i don't cheat but thats the only realistic way for everyone to get legends cheat haters, but i am against people using cheats just to get all the pokemon in the beggining of the game, its not right train get the national dex then cheat

Dont double post.

Anyway it doesn't matter what cheats people use. Why do people care about cheats that people who aren't going to use them against you. Why does it matter that someone in istambul gets all the pokemon by using a cheat. Who cares its not like he is going to battle you with them or force you to cheat with him.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2009
    No way!!!

If nintendo will only host events in america why should i come all the way down from canada just to get 1 step closer to beating the gsme .i dont use cheats but i think its stupid to ban gamesharks and action replays besides i doubt nintendo would even give me a code without beating some kind of contest

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I think banning cheating is a really bad idea.
    I don't know of anybody who would support it.
    I need a deoxys, celebi, etc. I'm not going to fly just so I can get it. What's the difference if I fly across the world for it or buy a gameshark and use that to do exactly the same thing they would do to my game. They're just programming a pokemon into my game. I won't really feel "pride" whether I cheat for a pokemon or pay $500 for a plane ticket for one. Maybe if I lived close, but other than that, no.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2009
    What is that supposed to mean!!!!!!!

yes but if you dont "shark" it and you claim it by legit it makes you proud to know you didnt cheat
    I would not call it " makes you proud" I would call it "makes you dumb" because unless you think there is only a world of pokemon you should find out that running in down
    to southern california or anywhere in the states to get a pokemon wastes tons of energy ,gas, air , you or your families time during holidays and it also rips a hole in the ozone layer
    So unless you live in a area that recieves nintendo events regularly or you live your life 100% enviormentaly friendly i would not sugest a trip like that.:18:

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2007
    I have to agree with almost everyone,cheating shouldn't be banned,
    Why would I want to spend hundreds of dollars to go to an event when it only costs me about 30 to go to Wal-Mart and buy an AR or Gameshark.

"Lets see,I only have 30 bucks <sigh> but I need 500 bucks to go to an event and get Deoxys,
    WAIT!! I know I'll go around killing people and then I'll steal their wallets so I can go to Japan!"

Now see,because cheating was banned little Jimmy just killed 50 people so he could get 470 more dollars....Ok I know I kind of exaggerated that just a tiny bit,but you never know just how obsessed some people get.

Last edited:

Random

-
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2008
    ok why do i keep seeing threads like these, You Cant Banned Cheating Period.

There is always people who are going to use glitches, and always going to use cheats, for their own personal gain without a care. So what are you going to do about... the answer is nothing, cause you cant do anything about it, so stand up and move forward, live on with your life, so get over it.

Back