• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Barry or Silver?

azurefel

l o a d i n g: 15%
Years
    • He/Him Them/They
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 3, 2024
    For me, Silver all the way.

While Barry is more of a fun character, Silver is a more in-depth character for me. I love his design a whole lot as well (more of HG/SS's design) and he's one of the few rivals who actually have backstory to him.
    Barry was just a tad annoying with his dialogue for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i didn't join PC 11 years ago under the username silversmearglesplatter for nothin lol where y'all think i got the silver part from??

but serious talk, silver is a great rival. he is cold and cruel, questions his methods when they prove inefficient, and at the same time? you have the same goal in defeating team rocket, he's just going about it differently (and arguably, that's his only goal whereas the player has more). in the end, he learns what his mistakes are and why he couldn't do what the player does and he changes his ways -- because of you, what you taught him. and since this is 4th gen, you actually DO get backstory on silver and insight to why he is how he is, which we didn't get in the original GSC. it just adds up even more and creates a greater character. i just feel as though silver lives up to his rival status better than barry does, while also being an overall more interesting character.

Years
  • I prefer silver, because he gets this arc through the game, he is at first uncaring and the usual bad boy, but that's because of how he was raised and taught, his dad was Giovanni, which means for a long time he grew up seeing pokemon as tools to be used, he wanted strong pokemon to defeat his father, and didn't deal with weak, as he journeyed along he realized that he was actually following in his fathers footsteps, in a different way but still doing it. He soon came to realize that he didn't need strong pokemon, but pokemon he cared for and they would grow strong for him, and he for them, this is why he because so different in the end, he grew as a young man, realizing that he can be the best without sacrificing his pokemons feelings in the process, he realized that strength wasn't in certain pokemon, that it could be found in any pokemon, and in himself, this gave him the strength to break free of his hatred of his father, and step out of those footsteps becoming a better person all around. Hell in HGSS, he is given a second chance and trains under Lance. One of the strongest trainers in the kanto/johto region! The league freakin champion!

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • I might be a bit biased since my first game was Platinum, but I've always liked Barry. He was upbeat and I related to him a lot when I was a kid. Though he has always been a favorite character of mine too.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • Eh, I didn't like Barry much. He had the kind of character traits that I dislike (hyperactive, unfocused) whereas Silver was a jerk, but at least HG/SS softened him up and gave him a proper backstory unlike in G/S/C. So I'll go with Silver if only because he seemed like a real rival, not just your impatient and annoyingly hyper BFF.

Back