• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battery Saver

Chuck Palahniuk

ten question marks
Years
  • Hi! Is battery saver not working for anyone else? You should be able to "hold the phone upside down at your side, and your phone's screen will almost go completely dark." [source] I have an Android and make sure Pokemon GO is always on battery saver mode but it hasn't ever worked before.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Have you ticked 'Battery Saver' in the settings menu? You can find settings at the top of the Pokéball menu (the one you use to access Pokémon, Pokédex, items, etc) and then you'll see an option to turn on Battery Saver. Once this is ticked you'll be able to do what you're asking :)

Chuck Palahniuk

ten question marks
    Years
  • Have you ticked 'Battery Saver' in the settings menu? You can find settings at the top of the Pokéball menu (the one you use to access Pokémon, Pokédex, items, etc) and then you'll see an option to turn on Battery Saver. Once this is ticked you'll be able to do what you're asking :)

Yeah. Sometimes it gets unticked but whenever it's checked it still doesn't work. I guess the app is just still buggy or something about the orientation of my phone is off.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Yeah. Sometimes it gets unticked but whenever it's checked it still doesn't work. I guess the app is just still buggy or something about the orientation of my phone is off.
    That's really odd. Based on what you said in the other thread about your medal issues I wonder if you may just need to reinstall the app at this stage. Feels like you've got a fair few bugs in it haha.

Chuck Palahniuk

ten question marks
    Years
  • That's really odd. Based on what you said in the other thread about your medal issues I wonder if you may just need to reinstall the app at this stage. Feels like you've got a fair few bugs in it haha.

I actually didn't think of that! I'll try it out and see what happens :)

Years
  • If you're really trying to save battery, the best way I've found is to turn off all or most of the notifications on your phone. With Android, at least, that is a MASSIVE battery suck. You will thank me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    Are you able to use the AR mode?

Because I'm not, and Battery Saver doesn't work for me either.
    When I try using AR mode, it says something about not being able to detect which direction my phone is facing, so I'm assuming that's also why Battery Saver doesn't work. The app just doesn't know which way up my phone is.

Which is odd, since I can use similar features that are built in to my phone, like turning it over to silence calls, etc.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    If you're really trying to save battery, the best way I've found is to turn off all or most of the notifications on your phone. With Android, at least, that is a MASSIVE battery suck. You will thank me.
    What kind of notifications are you referring to? I'm looking to do this but I'm kind of nooby when it comes to phones - any details would be very appreciated!

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • What kind of notifications are you referring to? I'm looking to do this but I'm kind of nooby when it comes to phones - any details would be very appreciated!
    Perhaps they mean the sound effects, music, and vibrations? I'm pretty sure GO doesn't do any other notifications other than that.

In either case, battery save never really does what it's supposed to do on my phone. I just don't even use it. I save battery with GO by turning my brightness down and muting it. It doesn't help too much, but it does help a little. Then again, I also bring a battery charger with me when I go on adventures. Trust me when I say it will change the way you play this game to not have to worry about battery! Haha...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Ah that's a pity, I already keep all of those to a minimum haha. The ones I've found best for saving battery are reducing screen brightness and lowering the GPS sensitivity. The latter is a huge battery saver but makes the game honestly pretty difficult to play - it works well if you're with a friend and they can track down the Pokémon for you but for playing alone it's a bit impractical as it only updates properly once every 10-15 seconds or so. I have ordered a portable battery pack which should be coming tomorrow so hopefully I'll be agreeing with you soon Hiidoran!

Years
  • What kind of notifications are you referring to? I'm looking to do this but I'm kind of nooby when it comes to phones - any details would be very appreciated!

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

I was not talking about sound effects or anything in the Pokemon Go app, itself.

I'm talking about the notifications on your phone. Push notifications, if you have Android. The notifications from other apps like Facebook, Messenger, Twitter, etc, etc. Anything that pops up on your phone as an alert--turn that off. The amount of battery that I saved as a result was tremendous. I realize, it will vary based on how many apps you have running on your phone, but, it should definitely have an effect.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    My apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

I was not talking about sound effects or anything in the Pokemon Go app, itself.

I'm talking about the notifications on your phone. Push notifications, if you have Android. The notifications from other apps like Facebook, Messenger, Twitter, etc, etc. Anything that pops up on your phone as an alert--turn that off. The amount of battery that I saved as a result was tremendous. I realize, it will vary based on how many apps you have running on your phone, but, it should definitely have an effect.
    That's what I was assuming. Alright I'll try this out and get back to you with the results - if it works then you'll go down in history as my hero! If it doesn't then I'll probably just stick my tongue out at you and maybe poke you a bit. One question as I am very dumb; how do I turn these off? :D

Years
  • That's what I was assuming. Alright I'll try this out and get back to you with the results - if it works then you'll go down in history as my hero! If it doesn't then I'll probably just stick my tongue out at you and maybe poke you a bit. One question as I am very dumb; how do I turn these off? :D

Haha that sounds fair!

Are you using Android?

If so, it could vary a little bit but for me, I go to "Settings", then "Sound and Notifications" and then "App Notifications" and then select the apps I want and "Block notifications".

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Are you using Android?

If so, it could vary a little bit but for me, I go to "Settings", then "Sound and Notifications" and then "App Notifications" and then select the apps I want and "Block notifications".
    Ahhhh thank you for this you are my hero! I don't know what impact it'll have on battery yet but there's this game I play which never stops bugging me with notifications and this is going to be a life saver. I'll make sure to update the effect on battery life when I got out Pokémon hunting tonight!

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Both the AR and the battery saver rely on a gyroscope. Not all phones have them. I changed phones recently to one without a gyroscope because I am not concerned about either. So, when you get your next phone, if this is a concern for you, be sure to ask if the phone has a gyroscope.

Years
  • I've found that using the battery saver causes the game to freeze. I'm not sure of the specific trigger, but I think it's a result of rotating my phone too often or too quickly and having the function not be able to keep up. In any case, I don't use it anymore, which is a shame since I liked the idea of it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2016
    @Benermerut - the reason you can't use AR mode or Battery save mode is they both use the accelerator. For some reason yours either isn't working correctly, Pokemon GO can't access it, or your phone doesn't have one. What phone are you using?

Back