• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[BDSP] It's confirmed that these games are made on unity, let's talk about modding.

edfrick

Pilot of EVA-00
Years
    • Age 22
    • they/them
    • Seen Feb 17, 2024
    So I think my favorite aspect of these games are the fact they're made on the unity engine, I remember seeing a lot of people upset by this fact as a lot of people think it's a bad engine simply because it's used a lot for low quality mobile games, but this really just gives us a window of opportunity in the rom hacking scene we've never seen before. I'm no expert at all, however based on what people have been telling me it might be easy to make whole new games with this game alone or even make ports of the game to run natively on PC or android, with all of that said I'd love to see what kind of mods you guys would like to see coming from the game? And if you're someone that knows something about unity, please share your thoughts on the possible rom hacking for this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Moved this from the BDSP forum, as it more-so discusses the Unity engine and possibilities of Rom Hacking with it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    really wish we could get some more traction on this, but no one is talking about it.
    There's already a strong modding scene going for this game.

and I'd love to jump in but don't know how to get started.
    Getting more people on this would just make refinement and development faster.

Since every update keeps messing up all or most of the present mods.

Luigifan2010

Core God
    Years
  • So I'm a Unity developer currently creating a from-scratch remake of the PS2 "Duelists of the Roses". I also ported TheXTech & an open source Space Cadet Pinball 3D decomp to the PS Vita. Personally, I am ecstatic to potentially have the opportunity to mod and port these games in a way that was unthinkable before.

The engine is quite capable and mature, but it swings to both ends of the spectrum. A lot of bad is made with Unity, but a lot of good is too.

From what i've read on Reddit, it seems it's already being decompiled but I have yet to find a community of people working on getting it recompiled. I would love to get in contact with these people and assist in any way I can.

Unity on the Switch should be using "IL2Cpp" which basically means all the C# code is translated to C++ code and compiled for platforms that don't allow JIT (just in time) execution like C# traditionally is. There are projects that exist to assist in "inspecting" Unity IL2Cpp code so it's really only a matter of time.

I only see a few problems.
    A. Online will have to be reworked to not use Nintendo servers.
    B. Ports should NOT distribute assets. Instead, ports should be distributed as executable ONLY and it is up to the end user to provide assets (Unity has support for streaming asset bundles)
    C. Cost of entry for Switches is pretty high. Its hard to justify that cost to have a second modded Switch just for Pokemon rom hacks (But porting could fix this issue)

Back