• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bedroom privacy!

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I think teens should be entitled to having a lock. Fortunately where I live now has a "If bedroom/bathroom door is closed then knock first" attitude, so we dont have privacy issues

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Worst part was she never seemed to get why I was not happy to have her barge in. It's as if she thought she was invisible.
    lmao omg this. D:

My mom would get so annoyed when I'd lock the door after she'd do one of her KNOCKANDOPENTHEDOORATTHESAMETIME things and obviously she never understood how annoying it was because no matter how many times I asked her to not barge right in, she'd do it anyway. :|

Though at least it was always just to tell me something rather than to check up on what I was doing.

Years
    If people want privacy they should have the right, I don't have a lock on my door but then again I don't have siblings, my mum sometimes comes in to drop of washing or whatever but never really for no reason so I don't mind. I just make sure I have do anything that could be considering embarrassing during the day. <.<

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
    knowing how annoying young children can be, teens should definitely be allowed to have locks.

but i'm usually never in my room (unless i'm sleeping) cuz my computer is downstairs. sometimes i wish i could have it in my room so i can lock my niece out though, but i like being around my siblings (they're older) when they're home rather than being isolated in my room..

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Privacy's definitely important for anybody, it isn't very fair (not to mention kind of rude) to make people publicize every little thing that they're doing. Plus people sometimes just need "alone time," not in what I'm sure people are assuming, but if they just want to take a nap or have some quiet so they can read.

I wasn't allowed to close the door to my room, let alone lock it. I'm also an only child so this was only when I was at my dad's house with my stepbrother, who closed his door all the time. I really only closed it if I was playing the radio and didn't want it to be too loud for other people in the house, but beyond that, there wasn't a lot for me to hide as a preteen. Sometimes I just liked having the privacy though, even if I was just doing homework and didn't want to be bothered.

Nowadays I don't spend a lot of time in my room, as all of the space I use to work (whether it's my computer or larger projects) is out in the living/dining room. I only use my room to get dressed, sleep, watch movies or play console games, and in most of those cases I keep the door closed. My mom doesn't have to drop off laundry or anything for a few reasons, the most obvious being that my room is literally right next to the washer and dryer, so it's useless for her to pick up something of mine, turn 180 degrees, and knock on my door.

Years
    I agree that teens (and early adults) should be able to have a lock on their bedroom doors. As said before, privacy is important for everyone, and everyone should be able to have it.

Ayselipera

Everyone needs privacy no matter how small that amount is. This usually doesn't happen, but every once and a while when I'm in my room with the door shut someone will barge in to say nothing of any importance. I don't mind if someone needs to tell me something, even if it doesn't pertain to me in anyway, but I'd really appreciate it if they would knock. Times like this I wish I had lock just so I could have that sense of being alone for a little while.

I think the problem is some parents either don't trust their children or maybe they're just oblivious to the fact sometimes we get annoyed when they walk in unannounced. If a parent is weary of what their child is doing in their room then they should keep a key on hand to their room. That way the child can be able to have some privacy and if the parent thinks anything is up they can unlock the door themselves. That sounds like the simplest solution to me.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    I just shut my door. I never lock it unless I'm changing. My parents are pretty good about my privacy. If my door is closed, they will knock before opening it.

But I don't think teens should lock their doors...because they could be doing something bad o.o

Michfan

Bodacious Intellectual
    Years
    Haha, there have definitely been times that I wish that I had a lock on my door.
    But I don't think teens should lock their doors...because they could be doing something bad o.o
    Mainly for this reason, haha, but in my single days, there isn't anything that I would hide (I'm almost always either playing my bass guitar or online, since I own a laptop).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I think 16 and above have the right. Under that though, no, especially 13 year olds. God knows what they're doing in there. But that age...just really needs monitoring. I didn't think it was that bad when I was 13, mainly cause I was the 13 year old, so I no flaws in anything I did. Now that my sister is 13, I can't stand it.

She locks her door all the time. She's gonna get in trouble and I tell her over and over to leave it unlocked. She still locks it. She already lies about her age and stuff on the internet...don't need her in there doing God knows what.

I sound like such a southerner.

jmadude

Keybledar43
    Years
    You guys are lucky to have some privacy. My parents just walk into my room without knocking just to tell me something I truly don't care about. And to top it all of I have two younger brothers who are always in my room, so if I need privacy I just go to the bathroom.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
    You guys are lucky to have some privacy. My parents just walk into my room without knocking just to tell me something I truly don't care about. And to top it all of I have two younger brothers who are always in my room, so if I need privacy I just go to the bathroom.
    Haha, the bathroom, you must have no privacy at all, feel bad for you buddy.

I'm 17 years old and I have a lock on my door, but I rarely use it. I guess I could say I have some privacy, most of the time my parents walk in into my room without even knocking, or if they do, they are knocking at the same time they are opening the door. The good thing about it is that, at least they have something important to tell me.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I am the only kid in the house now, and my parents are home maybe only to sleep and spend the weekend. It's like having a whole house to myself. But I still use the lock. The reason being cats. Yes, four legged, clawed, fish-stealing cats.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    lmao omg this. D:

My mom would get so annoyed when I'd lock the door after she'd do one of her KNOCKANDOPENTHEDOORATTHESAMETIME things and obviously she never understood how annoying it was because no matter how many times I asked her to not barge right in, she'd do it anyway. :|

Though at least it was always just to tell me something rather than to check up on what I was doing.

*Hugs* We shall share this pain. >o< She still does it too.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Sometimes, I feel as if my room is my only santuary. My door luckily has a lock on it. My parents get so mad when I lock it. Whenever my mother would like to scream into my ear talk me, she'd have to pick the locks open. It's that bad of a situation. I hate my parents, and I hate them even more when they barge into my room for no apparent reason except to lecture me about how bad my grades are.

I too wish that my door also have one of those advance locks that one would only see in top security faculities. Wouldn't it be so cool to have a voice and fingerprint scanners as one of your security protection. However, I can see my mother bashing a hammer on each of them to get through.

Yeah, sometimes I go to the restroom or a friend's house for more privacy. Even if I'm at one of those places, one of my parents would at least check on me every hour. They would either call my friend's phone, or knock on the door to see if I'm done using the restroom yet.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Heh...this reminds me of something from the FairlyOdd Parents:

"Timmy! I'm both respecting your privacy by knocking, but asserting my authority as your father by COMING IN ANYWAY!" *demolishes door with battering ram*

xDD Hehheh... but anyway, I believe that everybody deserves privacy, duhh; but you really shouldn't need a lock unless your family or whoever you live with doesn't know anything about personal space. My parents are pretty respectful of me and my room, thankfully...

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Heh...this reminds me of something from the FairlyOdd Parents:

"Timmy! I'm both respecting your privacy by knocking, but asserting my authority as your father by COMING IN ANYWAY!" *demolishes door with battering ram*

xDD Hehheh... but anyway, I believe that everybody deserves privacy, duhh; but you really shouldn't need a lock unless your family or whoever you live with doesn't know anything about personal space. My parents are pretty respectful of me and my room, thankfully...
    I laughed out loud. I remember that episode.

Akarei Yorume

His servant forever... <3
    Years
    I want a lock so bad. I am one of those people who has parents who knock at the same time as opening the door. And, as irony would have it, it's usually in the middle of me changing... and putting certain items of clothing on >>;
    Darn peoples won't leave me alone! *shakes fist*

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    I say yes. Everyone should have a right to privacy I hated it when I was younger (about 11) and my mum could just walk into my room whenever. Now I have a lock and she never comes in, it just makes me feel a little more free.

Back