• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bedroom privacy!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    All people, legal minor or otherwise, should have the right to privacy. It is something that is necessary for many in the modern world.

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
    Unless the parents have reason to suspect that they're having a small herd of prostitutes over or doing drugs in there, why shouldn't they be able to? Privacy is important, especially for growing up. Kids need to have something that's just for them sometimes.

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
    Yes.
    It's ridiculous how many times I've been walked in on during really awkward moments :x it would have been lovely to have the option to keep unwanted visitors out. ~_~

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I've never spent any time in my room, my room is for sleeping and only my bed and clothes are in there. The computer, TV and other things have always been downstairs where anyone could use them and I never really had a problem with that.

With my own kids, I wouldn't let them have a lock on their room. I'd hope we'd be close enough so that they wouldn't feel the need to hide things from me anyway... But the only door that's going to be locked in my house, is the door that leads outside. Just because I don't think there's a need for anyone to try and segregate themselves from the rest of the family. I never felt a need to seperate myself, and if my child did want some alone time then they could just ask for it, if they're not doing anything they shouldn't be then I see no reason as to why they'd be reluctant to tell me about it.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    If they are paying rent then yes.
    If not, they are living with someone else for free thus they are bound by the homeowner's or rent payers rules.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
    I wrongly read "bathroom", so I was going to say "I'd never be able to use it without a lock", hoho. I think people shouldn't act like "you're not paying anything, you have no right". Keep in mind no one asked to be born and the parents have their duties, surely many things (almost everything) depend on the judgement of the adult, so if they have anything against it...

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    Privacy is a right, not a privelage. You are dehumanizing somebody by taking away there privacy. I remember when I went to a VERY bad school. It was filled with security cameras, metal detectors, and a very small library. I once asked a teacher a philosophical question on my mind.

Me: "Why can't I talk to teachers about homework and things relating to my studies? Am I less of a human just because of my Age? Is it true that despite the fact there are people older than me who are less mature and intelligent, I am less of a human being than them due to my age?"

*long pause*

Teacher: "Yes. Now be quiet and do your work."

I think that even children who know how to use a lock properly should be allowed to have a right to privacy. I'm surprised you asked this about teens because a healthy growing teen needs privacy for self esteem, confidence, and um... well you know... pleasuring. People who think otherwise must have had an awfully odd childhood. Teens need privacy like birds need flight. They need to learn to mature on their own and make decisions for themselves. Their world is for them to find out, not somebody else to make it for them.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    I rarely use the lock on my door, but when I do it's usually because I'm mad and just don't want anyone entering my room at the moment. I don't see why kids shouldn't be able to lock their rooms. I don't think it's a matter of it being a "right," but I think the parents would be jerks if they just walked in on their teenagers without knocking, or if they did it frequently just because they were paranoid about what might be going on in there.

Years
    I'm "scitzophrenic" so I kind of need a lock. I also have a mom that knocks as she is opening the door T_T. She always says "If you want privacy lock the door" and when I do lock the door she tries to kick it down...Wah

Tranitar

Working on Pokémon Wraith
    Years
    God... I have one of the locks that you can pick with a Butter Knife... My annoying as hell 7 year old Nephew always picks it so when I lock my door when hes over I have to push my bed infront of it so he doesnt come in then he spazzes out and goes to tell my dad to make me let him in... that really pisses me off... I also have those parents and older siblings that just barge in grab what your doing sit next to you breathing in your ear to watch me play HG that really pisses me off... I have a DS what am i gonna fing do? I have no computer and all I got in my room is a small plasma, a fan, a 360, and a ps2... And i dont even have live on my 360... so what am i gonna be doing in my room and whats the point of them barging in there?

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Nevermind a lock, i'd kill to have a bedroom door that doesn't need lifting up and pushed in to get it to close, and one that doesn't pop back open at the slightest bit of movement/breeze.

Privacy isn't a huge issue for me anyway really, hardly anyone but me comes into my room. Nobody's got any need to.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Yes. Everybody has a right to privacy. Although, I never felt the need to have a lock on my door because my parents always knocked and waited for me to answer. I don't understand parents who don't - it's basic manners!

lucariojon

{Ruff Rabbit}
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I can only close my door, not lock it. Not because my mom/dad won't let me, a stupid reason. My friend broke the lock trying to get in (I have the crappiest lock there is..)

I think that all people should be able to lock there doors while sleeping, no matter what.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I think if there will be a lock, the parents should be able to enter in the case of emergencies, emergency key or lock pick or something. I know that kind of defeats the purpose, but say you fell and banged your head, knocked yourself out and started vomiting due to concussion while unconscious, possibly choking on it? I know the probability is slim of something serious happening or needing serious emergency help and being unable to unlock your own door, but it can happen. Fire in the house, you might be a heavy sleeper (or deeply unconscious due to smoke inhalation) and people are banging on the door to try to wake you up so you can unlock it and let yourself out, but you don't awaken...

I dunno, but it just seems a hazard to me. At least with an emergency key only your parents knew about you could keep your annoying siblings out.

Years
    The way I look at it is, when my door is closed, it means I am busy.

When open, feel free to come in. That is the system I have at University!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Since my back's to the door while I'm at the computer that I'm always at, I would value something that lets me know when the door's been opened, but I don't believe privacy is a right in the house one's parents own... still, it seems a bit arsey not to give your child such a simple thing if they want it.

I know the probability is slim of something serious happening or needing serious emergency help and being unable to unlock your own door, but it can happen.
    I should think it pretty standard for a household to possess an axe for cutting firewood... well, at least we use our fireplace. The same axe can be used to cut through the door.

Just a thought really, I don't expect many people actually do have axes handy anymore, but something sharp and heavy could be reserved for such an instance, or maybe just a crowbar.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I should think it pretty standard for a household to possess an axe for cutting firewood... well, at least we use our fireplace. The same axe can be used to cut through the door.

Just a thought really, I don't expect many people actually do have axes handy anymore, but something sharp and heavy could be reserved for such an instance, or maybe just a crowbar.

I honestly don't know anyone who owns an axe, or a crowbar, or anything heavy and sharp that could cut through wood. Also, where I'm from at least most people can't afford a fireplace (or don't have a chimney), or afford a house (some of us live in apartments). It's actually quite unusual for a household round here to have an axe or a crowbar. I've never met anyone who has one. Simple gardening tools at best.

Anyway, if someone felt secure in their ability to quickly remove a door with an axe or crowbar then fair enough. But cutting through the door/prying the lock or even going to fetch the item could waste valuable seconds, especially for someone who isn't used to chopping. Or the item might be out of reach due to fire or whatever other emergency.

I guess it's up to whoever it is to weigh the risks and decide how much of a risk they want to take. Minuscule risk but severe consequences. I just think it's a bit unwise to have the lock be completely unopenable.

Back