• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Been a While...

Miss K

Nomad
Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2019
    It has been a long time since I was "fan" enough in the sense that I knew everything there was to know about Pokemon and had nearly played every game and collected every card. Of course, this was back in the 90's, and by the time my younger Pokemon-loving brother was born, it wasn't "cool" to like Pokemon (especially as a girl). So, brother got all the cards and I didn't really watch or have anything to do with it other than having minor heart attacks every time I realized they added a bunch more (I harbored ill will for many of the reboots or continuations or spin-offs of many shows at that point, like Dragonball and Scooby-Doo, but I got over it and can appreciate that now... I think).

Then, I had my daughter, and Pokemon has been creeping its way back into my life. I watched the First Movie (for the first time in over a decade) the other day, and realized I still really enjoy Pokemon - or, at least, the one I used to know. I don't know how deep into the fandom I can get now that it is so large, but I wanted to join the community and start somewhere, so to speak.

That said, I don't remember everything, and I look at some things differently now that I am not a naive child that mainly liked the show for the cute Pokemon. My old favorites were Pikachu, Eevee (and evos), Squirtle, Gengar, Magneton, Jigglypuff, Vulpix (and evos), and Ponyta (and evos). If I picked up on it right, that all means I know about the Kanto region? And that is about all. I have never been much of a player of Pokemon, but more of a watcher. I didnt learn how to battle and didn't know how to learn, and as far as the games go, my favorite was the one where you try to snap pictures of them (I think on Nintendo64, so again, I clearly wasn't much of a "trainer".)

Well, that's pretty much my background in Pokemon. Not much, not long, but I have made you read quite enough, so I'll leave it at that.

Nice to meet y'all!

Last edited:
    Years
  • No shame in enjoying Pokémon regardless of your age or gender. =) I'm turning 28 in a few months and am still a huge fan with no signs of stopping. Welcome to PC <3 The games are still as amazing as ever and I recommend trying some out just to experience what the franchise has become now. Of course it's up to you though, and we do have people here who were only into Pokémon early on.

Have a good time!

Miss K

Nomad
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2019
    No shame in enjoying Pokémon regardless of your age or gender. =) I'm turning 28 in a few months and am still a huge fan with no signs of stopping. Welcome to PC <3 The games are still as amazing as ever and I recommend trying some out just to experience what the franchise has become now. Of course it's up to you though, and we do have people here who were only into Pokémon early on.

Have a good time!

That's awesome! I know it has always had a pretty big fan base and a lot my age, so I was hoping to find some that could relate more to what I do know while learning what I don't!

I would love to play some more of the games, but aside from the couple mobile ones, I don't think I have the right console. As far as computer goes, I am so incompetent that I only started getting used to formatting code (BBcode, I think?) And just joined the online community a few years ago (regularly anyway). So online games may not be the ticket for me lol. I do still have my N64 and an XboxOne, but I don't have my Pokemon game anymore (brother lost it) for the N64. I suppose I could see if they have one for X1 though... hmm..

Anywho, thanks for the welcome!

I was thinking about trying to watch some of the ones on Netflix, at least, to get an idea about what's happened. Do I need to watch in order of Gens do you think? I havent watched since the first, so I wasn't sure how continuous things were across them.

Also, I have a hard time getting into some of the newer styled (not the animation, but the way the characters act or the plots) cartoons (like Teen Titans Go, or Amazing World of Gumball, or Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!) Mainly for the hyper antics, so any warnings on that style taking place in this franchise? Heehees. I sound so snooty to myself, but I just want to be prepared cause I can ignore something I don't like, but if it just randomly changes from (Teen Titans to Teen Titans Go! style) then I have a harder time adjusting lol.

Thanks for everything!

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • That's awesome! I know it has always had a pretty big fan base and a lot my age, so I was hoping to find some that could relate more to what I do know while learning what I don't!

I would love to play some more of the games, but aside from the couple mobile ones, I don't think I have the right console. As far as computer goes, I am so incompetent that I only started getting used to formatting code (BBcode, I think?) And just joined the online community a few years ago (regularly anyway). So online games may not be the ticket for me lol. I do still have my N64 and an XboxOne, but I don't have my Pokemon game anymore (brother lost it) for the N64. I suppose I could see if they have one for X1 though... hmm..

Anywho, thanks for the welcome!

I was thinking about trying to watch some of the ones on Netflix, at least, to get an idea about what's happened. Do I need to watch in order of Gens do you think? I havent watched since the first, so I wasn't sure how continuous things were across them.

Also, I have a hard time getting into some of the newer styled (not the animation, but the way the characters act or the plots) cartoons (like Teen Titans Go, or Amazing World of Gumball, or Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!) Mainly for the hyper antics, so any warnings on that style taking place in this franchise? Heehees. I sound so snooty to myself, but I just want to be prepared cause I can ignore something I don't like, but if it just randomly changes from (Teen Titans to Teen Titans Go! style) then I have a harder time adjusting lol.

Thanks for everything!

If I'm not mistaken, even if you don't own the native hardware or game to begin with, there are Emulators or VGC(Virtual Game Console) that allow you to play the games as they would have been. Seeing as you're more into modern consoles however, if you want to do the latest game in Let's GO Pikachu/Eevee(which one you get determines your starter as well as what Pokemon are available), then you'd want to buy Nintendo's latest console in the Switch. The Switch is basically a spruced up handheld or Gameboy that when docked can be connected to a TV and played with wireless controllers(highly recommended by the way for most Switch Games). The next Generation Pokemon Game or Generation 8 is slated to be on the Switch, although its official release date, much less a preview has yet to be announced.

If you're looking to learn about Pokemon, look no further than this community. Highly recommend asking questions in Previous Generations(if you own any of the old games like Pokemon Yellow for example), or other Gaming related boards. Have fun and welcome to PC!

Miss K

Nomad
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2019
    If I'm not mistaken, even if you don't own the native hardware or game to begin with, there are Emulators or VGC(Virtual Game Console) that allow you to play the games as they would have been. Seeing as you're more into modern consoles however, if you want to do the latest game in Let's GO Pikachu/Eevee(which one you get determines your starter as well as what Pokemon are available), then you'd want to buy Nintendo's latest console in the Switch. The Switch is basically a spruced up handheld or Gameboy that when docked can be connected to a TV and played with wireless controllers(highly recommended by the way for most Switch Games). The next Generation Pokemon Game or Generation 8 is slated to be on the Switch, although its official release date, much less a preview has yet to be announced.

If you're looking to learn about Pokemon, look no further than this community. Highly recommend asking questions in Previous Generations(if you own any of the old games like Pokemon Yellow for example), or other Gaming related boards. Have fun and welcome to PC!

Thank you for the welcome and all the help and advice! The problem I see... is that I don't know what half of the first sentence means lol, but I think I get what you were saying (if that makes sense).

I wouldn't say I am into the modern consoles persay (I actually play my N64 a lot more than the Xbox) - which is probably why I havent bought consoles like the Switch, Wii, or any of the others. The X1 was just so my husband could play with his son who lives with his mother. I play some Skyrim or shoot 'em ups sometimes, but that is about it. I simply don't know what games there are, but I'm sure to find out soon I imagine!

I certainly already learned a lot by your comment!

I have seen the previews for Let's Go! but it is hard to convince hubby we need a Switch since he isn't a fan heehees.

I did play Go on mobile for a bit but never understood how to participate in battles (not start one, but actually battling - which I have always had trouble understand card or tabletop type games like that - more of a run and gun/button mash type player than strategy I guess haha) and it took so much space I couldnt keep it.

I have also perused the previous generations area a bit. I will definitely be asking questions!

Thanks again, and sorry for the ramble

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Thank you for the welcome and all the help and advice! The problem I see... is that I don't know what half of the first sentence means lol, but I think I get what you were saying (if that makes sense).

I wouldn't say I am into the modern consoles persay (I actually play my N64 a lot more than the Xbox) - which is probably why I havent bought consoles like the Switch, Wii, or any of the others. The X1 was just so my husband could play with his son who lives with his mother. I play some Skyrim or shoot 'em ups sometimes, but that is about it. I simply don't know what games there are, but I'm sure to find out soon I imagine!

I certainly already learned a lot by your comment!

I have seen the previews for Let's Go! but it is hard to convince hubby we need a Switch since he isn't a fan heehees.

I did play Go on mobile for a bit but never understood how to participate in battles (not start one, but actually battling - which I have always had trouble understand card or tabletop type games like that - more of a run and gun/button mash type player than strategy I guess haha) and it took so much space I couldnt keep it.

I have also perused the previous generations area a bit. I will definitely be asking questions!

Thanks again, and sorry for the ramble

Been a While...
    With regards to the first sentence, hardware is basically the "console" that Pokemon games were played on back in the day. In other words: Gameboy, although there have been multiple iterations over the years(just like Cell Phones if that makes any sense). So for me, I have an old Gameboy Color(Berry) with a copy of Pokemon Yellow that still works to this day(yes I'm not joking). With respect to Emulators, an Emulator is a program that mimics how a game would feel if played on the actual hardware. I'm not too familiar with Emulators, although I've heard that you could play N64 games on a computer through an Emulator(using Keyboard or Gaming Controller). As for VGC, feel free to peruse this: VGC. I've never used VGC so I'm not one to ask questions for it heh.

Seeing as you've played N64 and took pictures, I can only assume that's Pokemon Snap no? There was also Pokemon Stadium wherein if you successfully completed a particular Tournament with a Pikachu, you could then get Surf Pikachu and then transfer it back to Pokemon Yellow wherein you could play the Surf minigame therein. Being a button masher, I would recommend playing Smash Brothers on N64 if you haven't already. Has Pikachu and Jigglypuff to go along with other Nintendo characters. Nintendo just released the latest installment of Smash Brothers on the Switch. If you want a Switch, find a game he likes and then try to coax(or coerce :P) him into buying it. I must stress that the sticker price isn't the final tally. Comes much closer to $500(or more) if you intend to utilize it in hand-held mode or if you have little ones running around. Let's GO is the perfect beginner Pokemon game though and is tailored towards little kids or the next Generation. A perfect Mother/Daughter game if you catch my drift, especially since you've played Pokemon GO.

As for Previous Generations, [user]Nah[/user] created a FAQ for it(with input from those in the community, including myself), but I'm unsure as to its status. As for rambling, don't apologize. A number of users here are guilty of doing that from time to time.

Last edited:

Miss K

Nomad
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2019
    Been a While...
    With regards to the first sentence, hardware is basically the "console" that Pokemon games were played on back in the day. In other words: Gameboy, although there have been multiple iterations over the years(just like Cell Phones if that makes any sense). So for me, I have an old Gameboy Color(Berry) with a copy of Pokemon Yellow that still works to this day(yes I'm not joking). With respect to Emulators, an Emulator is a program that mimics how a game would feel if played on the actual hardware. I'm not too familiar with Emulators, although I've heard that you could play N64 games on a computer through an Emulator(using Keyboard or Gaming Controller). As for VGC, feel free to peruse this: VGC. I've never used VGC so I'm not one to ask questions for it heh.

Seeing as you've played N64 and took pictures, I can only assume that's Pokemon Snap no? There was also Pokemon Stadium wherein if you successfully completed a particular Tournament with a Pikachu, you could then get Surf Pikachu and then transfer it back to Pokemon Yellow wherein you could play the Surf minigame therein. Being a button masher, I would recommend playing Smash Brothers on N64 if you haven't already. Has Pikachu and Jigglypuff to go along with other Nintendo characters. Nintendo just released the latest installment of Smash Brothers on the Switch. If you want a Switch, find a game he likes and then try to coax(or coerce :P) him into buying it. I must stress that the sticker price isn't the final tally. Comes much closer to $500(or more) if you intend to utilize it in hand-held mode or if you have little ones running around. Let's GO is the perfect beginner Pokemon game though and is tailored towards little kids or the next Generation. A perfect Mother/Daughter game if you catch my drift, especially since you've played Pokemon GO.

As for Previous Generations, [user]Nah[/user] created a FAQ for it(with input from those in the community, including myself), but I'm unsure as to its status. As for rambling, don't apologize. A number of users here are guilty of doing that from time to time.

Ha! You are too cool!
    Thank you for clarifying! I was a little off about what emulators were, but otherwise it turns out I guessed correctly :)

I totally believe it lol I had my Super Nintendo until the power button finally quit a few years ago!
    That is an excellent idea! Maybe I can find some kind of racing thing he would like. Who knows... Now my gears are turning!

Pokemon Snap is right! It sounds right anyway, and I do remember the title being pretty obvious to the gameplay (i.e. Pokemon Snap = snap photos of Pokemon) so I am 99% sure that is it now that you've mentioned it! I did really well on that game lol

It does sound like a great bonding game! I've had quite the time finding something we can both fangirl out on. I mean, she likes some of what I do (Scooby-Doo, Sailor Moon, etc) but doesn't like them enough to have a bond over. And these days the phones and games are way more important, so while I spent most of my time playing board games or reading growing up, she has a screen in her face 90% of the time and likely knows how to use it better than I could too :p Then, there is the issue of me not being a huge fan of the way cartoons are handled these days, so I can't bring myself to fangirl with her about the stuff she likes (like Gumball and Unikitty, etc)..

Hopefully we will change it with Pokemon!

I will also be checking those resources out, thank you!

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Ha! You are too cool!
    Thank you for clarifying! I was a little off about what emulators were, but otherwise it turns out I guessed correctly :)

I totally believe it lol I had my Super Nintendo until the power button finally quit a few years ago!
    That is an excellent idea! Maybe I can find some kind of racing thing he would like. Who knows... Now my gears are turning!

Pokemon Snap is right! It sounds right anyway, and I do remember the title being pretty obvious to the gameplay (i.e. Pokemon Snap = snap photos of Pokemon) so I am 99% sure that is it now that you've mentioned it! I did really well on that game lol

It does sound like a great bonding game! I've had quite the time finding something we can both fangirl out on. I mean, she likes some of what I do (Scooby-Doo, Sailor Moon, etc) but doesn't like them enough to have a bond over. And these days the phones and games are way more important, so while I spent most of my time playing board games or reading growing up, she has a screen in her face 90% of the time and likely knows how to use it better than I could too :p Then, there is the issue of me not being a huge fan of the way cartoons are handled these days, so I can't bring myself to fangirl with her about the stuff she likes (like Gumball and Unikitty, etc)..

Hopefully we will change it with Pokemon!

I will also be checking those resources out, thank you!

Your welcome and I should add that Let's GO is built to connect with Pokemon GO such that Pokemon you catch on it can be transferred to Let's GO. Pokemon you transferred are teleported to Safari Park located in Fuchsia City(which is a bit of ways in-game) but pretty much any Kanto Pokemon, including version exclusives on the other title, can be used. Even Alolan variants(introduced in Generation 7) are viable as they're available in-game for trade with its Kanto counterpart(namely to get an Alolan Vulpix for example requires catching and trading a Kanto Vulpix). The only negative thing is that upon transferring them, you'll have to "capture" them again in Let's GO. Nintendo sells a peripheral in the PokeBall Plus that does make catching Pokemon on Let's GO a bit easier and comes with a free Mew. Granted the peripheral isn't cheap($45 last I checked) so its like paying for a Kanto Legendary lol. Transferring Pokemon from Pokemon GO into Let's GO is the only way to get Meltan so... yeah lol. Besides if you're not into Pokemon GO's battling, then you might like Let's GO's system which uses traditional battling since its based on Pokemon Yellow(with a few noticeable differences).

Highly recommend you read this: PC Review of Let's GO and PokeBall Plus

Last edited:
    Back