• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Beginning Team - need help

xRangii

Quack. I'm a Duck.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    As the title suggests, this is my intro team to competitive battling. I am EXTREMELY new to this but I do have a basic understanding of some key terms (Sweepers, walls, OU, UU, EV, etc). Lots of help and suggestions are welcome.
    This team is for Pokemon X/Y - I prefer leaning on a Sweeper team. If suggesting replacements, please do not include Pokemon that cannot be obtained through easy means (Such as Porygon, I could NOT find it in the GTS.)

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Dark Pulse
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Spiritomb is my Wall Breaker. Mono attack along with extra boosts in SpDef along with recovery. Simple enough. He also serves as a staller beside Vaporeon to chip away at the enemy's health with poison from Drapion's Toxic spikes.

Aggron @ Leftovers
    Ability: Rock Head
    EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Dragon Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock

Aggron is my Physical Sweeper and my Lead. His priority is to lay out Stealth Rock so I can chip away at the opponent's health easily. His Dragon Tail is a means of annoyance, forcing the next Pokemon to come out and receive damage via Stealth Rock.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Acid Armor
    - Scald
    - Wish
    - Ice Beam

Vaporeon is my Special Wall and Wall Breaker. Combine with a few Acid Armours and Wish, she will serve as a good shield. Choosing Scald over Surf since Scald has a small chance of burning the opponent. She can also stall the poison from Drapion's Toxic spikes.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
    Ability: Drought
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - SolarBeam
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Air Slash

Charizard is the Fast Sweeper. Because his mega evolution is a powerhouse, he serves as a secret weapon to obliterate things. Due to his ability, Drought, when mega-evolved as Y, SOLAR BEAMS AGAINST WATER AND ROCK TYPES! BWAHAHAHA.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Imposter
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Transform

Ditto serves as a Revenge Killer. Not many people expect Ditto to be in a team so it can help mess up an opponent's strategy when taking on Ditto. Choice Scarf is to make Ditto faster, so it will attack first rather than the Pokemon it became. (E.g. Lucario takes out Spiritomb. Swap in for Ditto, use Aura Sphere. Choice Scarf makes Ditto faster, bam. Lucario faints.) He is a risky choice, but could turn the tide of a battle easily if someone isn't prepared for it.

Drapion @ Razor Claw
    Ability: Sniper
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
    Naughty Nature
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Night Slash
    - Cross Poison
    - Ice Fang

Drapion is my Tank Spiker. He'll be backing up Aggron if need be by adding another layer of Toxic Spikes (twice, which is why I gave him 156 HP and 100 Spd because he'll need to withstand attacks in order to use Toxic Spikes for badly poisoned status.) He'll also serve to OHKO opponents with his deadly crits. [Sniper makes critical damage x3, Razor claw increases critical hit ratio, Night Slash and Cross Poison have high critical hit ratio] Ice fang is for the pesky ground types that will be a problem to him.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I wouldn't call a CroTomb a wall-breaker. Wall-breakers are Pokemon who have high powered moves (and possibly massive offensive stats to match) that can cause massive amounts of damage to walls (either by aiming for the weaker defensive stat or causing a large amount of damage, despite the high defenses the wall has). If you intend to keep Spiritomb, change the nature to Bold and 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef, since its Defense is very exposed with your current spread. Spiritomb is best saved mid- to late-game.

Aggron is terrible in standard. Its common weaknesses to Water, Fighting and Ground, courtesy of its Steel/Rock typing are so crippling it doesn't even see use there. Mega Aggron patches these weaknesses up by going pure Steel type, using the Filter ability and buffing up its defenses. Since your Mega slot is taken up by Charizard, I'd suggest replacing Aggron with Skarmory:
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird/Iron Head/Taunt
    Nature: Impish/Careful
    EVs: 224 HP/252 Def/32 SDef or 224 HP/32 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
    Ability: Sturdy

For Charizard, I don't think the Y form is good for this team. Only a team built around Sun could include Charizard Y as a backup sun inducer, but this team isn't one. You're better off using its other counterpart, Charizard X:
    -Dragon Dance/Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw/Outrage
    -Earthquake/Roost
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X

A Naughty nature ruins Drapion's tanking purposes, since its resistances are specially-based. A defensive set shouldn't rely on Sniper that much, and should instead focus on supporting the team:
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Whirlwind
    -Crunch
    -Taunt
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/244 SDef/16 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Battle Armor

Since this particular Drapion is walled by Fairies, you can either consider a more offensive Drapion set, as well as Dragalge or Tentacruel:

Offensive Drapion:
    -Swords Dance
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake/Poison Jab
    -Taunt
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 140 HP/144 Atk/224 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge/Lum Berry
    Ability: Sniper

Dragalge:
    -Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald/Toxic Spikes
    -Thunderbolt/Toxic Spikes
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Ability: Poison Point

Tentacruel:
    -Scald
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Rapid Spin
    -Sludge Wave/Ice Beam/Protect
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 248 HP/244 Def/16 Spe
    Ability: Liquid Ooze/Rain Dish

xRangii

Quack. I'm a Duck.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    So I met up with a friend and found out he used to competitively battle (surprisingly) and we have made a few changes to the set up. We haven't figured out the item, ability, EV, nature and move set yet, but this is what we've got:

Forretress
    Spiritomb
    Charizard Y
    Vaporeon
    Chandelure
    Tangrowth

Spiritomb, Charizard and Vaporeon will keep everything. Except Vaporeon's Acid Armour will be swapped out with Protect, so she can use a Wish+Protect strategy.

For sure, Forretress will have the move set:
    -Rapid Spin
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Explosion (we are debating about this, I suggested we go for another move due to Explosion being a less viable solution)

He also suggested Mega Charizard Y didn't do much to support the team and Vaporeon didn't have much of a role on taking hits as a special wall, so we swapped in for Chandelure. Enemy attacks with either ghost/water, Vaporeon can absorb the hit as she can serve as a SpDef wall. Forretress serves as the tank spiker and staller. To counter fire attacks against Forretress, again, Vaporeon will intercept, or Chandelure can absorb with via Flash Fire. Charizard's Drought is now effective in supporting 2 Pokemon - Tangrowth and Chandelure. Chandelure's fire attacks will be boosted and Tangrowth has more healing power via Synthesis. While Tangrowth serves as a physical wall, he does have many weaknesses, most common forms would be: Poison, Flying, Fire and Ice. Forretress can take the poison hit, since it doesn't affect Steel types and possibly Flying, as his main focus is to have good defense. Fire and Ice can be handled by Vaporeon and Chandelure.

I also realise there isn't an electric type in this team, as I was misinformed Chandelure could learn Thunderbolt. Might have to switch him up.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    So I met up with a friend and found out he used to competitively battle (surprisingly) and we have made a few changes to the set up. We haven't figured out the item, ability, EV, nature and move set yet, but this is what we've got:

Forretress
    Spiritomb
    Charizard Y
    Vaporeon
    Chandelure
    Tangrowth

Spiritomb, Charizard and Vaporeon will keep everything. Except Vaporeon's Acid Armour will be swapped out with Protect, so she can use a Wish+Protect strategy.

For sure, Forretress will have the move set:
    -Rapid Spin
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Explosion (we are debating about this, I suggested we go for another move due to Explosion being a less viable solution)

He also suggested Mega Charizard Y didn't do much to support the team and Vaporeon didn't have much of a role on taking hits as a special wall, so we swapped in for Chandelure. Enemy attacks with either ghost/water, Vaporeon can absorb the hit as she can serve as a SpDef wall. Forretress serves as the tank spiker and staller. To counter fire attacks against Forretress, again, Vaporeon will intercept, or Chandelure can absorb with via Flash Fire. Charizard's Drought is now effective in supporting 2 Pokemon - Tangrowth and Chandelure. Chandelure's fire attacks will be boosted and Tangrowth has more healing power via Synthesis. While Tangrowth serves as a physical wall, he does have many weaknesses, most common forms would be: Poison, Flying, Fire and Ice. Forretress can take the poison hit, since it doesn't affect Steel types and possibly Flying, as his main focus is to have good defense. Fire and Ice can be handled by Vaporeon and Chandelure.

I also realise there isn't an electric type in this team, as I was misinformed Chandelure could learn Thunderbolt. Might have to switch him up.
    The Forretress set you put up is massive setup bait. Toxic Spikes isn't that useful on offensive teams, though it does pair well with Spiritomb. You only need one form of hazard on Forretress; otherwise it suffers from 4-moveslot syndrome:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Volt Switch
    -Gyro Ball/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Relaxed/Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

xRangii

Quack. I'm a Duck.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    The Forretress set you put up is massive setup bait. Toxic Spikes isn't that useful on offensive teams, though it does pair well with Spiritomb. You only need one form of hazard on Forretress; otherwise it suffers from 4-moveslot syndrome:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Volt Switch
    -Gyro Ball/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Relaxed/Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

I just remembered the last move for Forretress, lol. My friend suggested:
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Explosion (which I don't want to use)

He suggested Hidden Power (Fire) due to Charizard's Drought that would help boost it up. I can't really see how it would counter anything though. I'd like to keep the Toxic Spikes though so I can push in some form of damage if I'm not attacking. Hidden Power (Ice) and Volt Switch sounds very nice (Volt Switch can help fill in for the missing Electric type).

Curse my stubbornness, but is there anything else I could use to keep the Toxic Spike/Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I just remembered the last move for Forretress, lol. My friend suggested:
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Explosion (which I don't want to use)

He suggested Hidden Power (Fire) due to Charizard's Drought that would help boost it up. I can't really see how it would counter anything though. I'd like to keep the Toxic Spikes though so I can push in some form of damage if I'm not attacking. Hidden Power (Ice) and Volt Switch sounds very nice (Volt Switch can help fill in for the missing Electric type).

Curse my stubbornness, but is there anything else I could use to keep the Toxic Spike/Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin?
    For one, Forretress only has 4 move slots to work with. It needs Rapid Spin to support the team, especially Charizard Y. Second, it needs Volt Switch to escape from Magnet Pull Magnezone and/or bringing in a teammate unscathed. It needs Gyro Ball (for a strong STAB) or Hidden Power Ice (to deal with Dragons, which is more useful than Hidden Power Fire being boosted by Drought). This leaves it with room for only 1 entry hazard. Pick wisely.

xRangii

Quack. I'm a Duck.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    For one, Forretress only has 4 move slots to work with. It needs Rapid Spin to support the team, especially Charizard Y. Second, it needs Volt Switch to escape from Magnet Pull Magnezone and/or bringing in a teammate unscathed. It needs Gyro Ball (for a strong STAB) or Hidden Power Ice (to deal with Dragons, which is more useful than Hidden Power Fire being boosted by Drought). This leaves it with room for only 1 entry hazard. Pick wisely.

I've seen a set for Forretress to act as a suicide lead, would this help in my case?

Forretress @ Custap Berry
    EVs: 4 HP 252 Def 252 Atk
    Nature: Lax
    -Stealth Rock
    -Spikes/Toxic Spikes
    -Explosion
    -Rapid Spin/Gyro Ball

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I've seen a set for Forretress to act as a suicide lead, would this help in my case?

Forretress @ Custap Berry
    EVs: 4 HP 252 Def 252 Atk
    Nature: Lax
    -Stealth Rock
    -Spikes/Toxic Spikes
    -Explosion
    -Rapid Spin/Gyro Ball

If you need the extra hazards, then yes that would work. But you'll need to find a Custap Berry in-game or receive it from an event.

xRangii

Quack. I'm a Duck.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    If you need the extra hazards, then yes that would work. But you'll need to find a Custap Berry in-game or receive it from an event.

The pain of building a legitimate team... My first worries are if I can even find a Pineco, haha. As for the berry, I'll either wait or hope someone will give me one. Unless I substitute for a Quick Claw, but that's a riskier option due to its random chance.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The pain of building a legitimate team... My first worries are if I can even find a Pineco, haha. As for the berry, I'll either wait or hope someone will give me one. Unless I substitute for a Quick Claw, but that's a riskier option due to its random chance.

Quick Claw is frowned down upon competitively because luck/hax items aren't useful.

Stick to the first set I posted.

pokecole

Brave Frontier is great.
    Years
    Quick Claw is frowned down upon competitively because luck/hax items aren't useful.

Stick to the first set I posted.
    I agree, and as quick claw is frowned upon as almost all luck/hax items are. People (like me) find it annoying to have all of these teams meticulously calculated and thought out to get killed by someone who gets lucky with their item and knocks you out when they shouldn't have out sped or something. I do think the game should be about luck, but to a point. Anyways, I'm getting off topic. Spiritomb is probably going to not be nearly as useful in this gen because its main gimmick (no weaknesses) is gone, now that fairy type is super-effective against dark type. I would replace it with something else to be a strong pokemon (maybe Aegislash?). If you do use a chandelure, may I suggest a set?
    Chandelure @ choice scarf
    Modest; 252 sp atk, 252 speed, 4 HP.
    -Shadow ball
    -Flamethrower
    -Energy ball
    -Hidden Power (fighting)
    That set has worked me some magic from time to time. Included a few major sweeps. (One of which I accidently only used ninetails with drought and chandelure, 5-0 sweep.) Hopefully it works well for you. Good luck with your team!

xRangii

Quack. I'm a Duck.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2021
    I agree, and as quick claw is frowned upon as almost all luck/hax items are. People (like me) find it annoying to have all of these teams meticulously calculated and thought out to get killed by someone who gets lucky with their item and knocks you out when they shouldn't have out sped or something. I do think the game should be about luck, but to a point. Anyways, I'm getting off topic. Spiritomb is probably going to not be nearly as useful in this gen because its main gimmick (no weaknesses) is gone, now that fairy type is super-effective against dark type. I would replace it with something else to be a strong pokemon (maybe Aegislash?). If you do use a chandelure, may I suggest a set?
    Chandelure @ choice scarf
    Modest; 252 sp atk, 252 speed, 4 HP.
    -Shadow ball
    -Flamethrower
    -Energy ball
    -Hidden Power (fighting)
    That set has worked me some magic from time to time. Included a few major sweeps. (One of which I accidently only used ninetails with drought and chandelure, 5-0 sweep.) Hopefully it works well for you. Good luck with your team!

Sucks that Spiritomb lost his main gimmick but even if it's weak to Fairy, there isn't a wide range of moves to use against him to do serious harm. Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam are the most threatening as of now, with Moonblast having a chance of lowering SpAtk and Dazzling Gleam doing nothing else. And only 12 Pokemon can learn Moonblast. While Fairy type is a new big factor to consider, I don't think it's much of a problem as of now. Or maybe I could just be underestimating it :P

Back