• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

best batton passer

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2006
    so, annoyers are not good haha...how about batton passers? are they any good? what wud u guys think wud be gud? i know that i'm guna have a slamance, milotic, metagross and agardevoir in my team...but that's all...not sure...any ideas? advice?

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • You know, I'm not sure whether your a spammer or just someone who sounds like a spammer. -.-

Regardless, there is not single 'best' Baton Passer. However, the most flexible ones are certainly Smeargle, which is capable of learning all moves, and Gorebyss capable of learning all passable effect moves except for Mean Look, Ingrain and Calm Mind, making it quite the pain for people with hazing-phazing problems. Too bad both have statlines that are a bit too weak to let them stand alone. Baton Passers are usually either Ninjasks or whole-team affairs.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2007
    I like Scizor =)

Scizor@Salac Berry
    Impish Nature
    -Silver Wind
    -Baton Pass
    -Sub/Agility
    -Swords Dance

Or you can use...
    Umbreon@Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    -Mean Look
    -Toxic
    -Wish
    -Baton Pass

Umbreon seems a wiser choice, but its your decision.

CoolLatios

um no
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2014
    Jolteon can be great too:

Jolteon@Leftovers
    -Timid-
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Agility
    ~Baton Pass
    ~HP Water/HP Grass

What's cool with Electrics is that they have only one weak, Ground. =D

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2011
    Ninjask is far better imo with:
    Liechi Berry
    Baton Pass
    Substitute
    Swords Dance
    Substitute

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2006
    Ninjast is a good baton passer with Swords dance, protect, Silver wind, and baton pass

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Ummmmm, you just gave Ninjask five moves, unless you were meaning to say a combination of four of the five listed. And again, NOTHING compares to Celebi.

Hypello

Oh noesh!
    Years
  • Smeargle hands down.
    It can baton pass Belly Drum, Mean Look, Ingrain, anything. It's in almost any Baton Pass chain, plus... it learns SPORE.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2006
    But for the people who dont have celebi. They should use smeargle or ninjast.
    How did you get celibi?

Hypello

Oh noesh!
    Years
  • You are wrong the correct answer is clearly Celebi.

Ehm.
    Celebi can't Spore, Celebi can't Ingrain, Celebi can't Belly Drum, Celebi can't Mean Look...
    How can you say Celebi is better when it can't put a threat to sleep? How can you say Celebi is better when it can't anchor itself against Roar and Whirlwind? How can you say Celebi is better without it being able to max it's Attack in one move? How can you say Celebi is better when it can't even trap the opponent?

All Celebi can do is Baton Pass Calm Mind, Swords Dance and Substitute. The following Pokémon can do the same:

Mew
    Smeargle
    Absol

So these Pokémon must be as good as Celebi, right? Plus, Celebi could only be gotten at JAA, so if it is in-game, Smeargle is better in even more ways.

I'd like to hear your arguments about why Smeargle is not better than Celebi.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    These are my favourites:

Celebi, Unbreon, Tyranitar, Ninjask and Scizor.

It's settled.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Celebi is better because it has the defenses to not have to waste time setting up with Spore, Ingrain, or Mean Look. SD > BD because it doesn't cost Celebi as much and you can bring it back later, if needed.

Now, if this is strictly in-game and you have no access to Celebi, I like Smeargle since it can take the time to set up against the pathetic AI.

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • These are my favourites:

Celebi, Unbreon, Tyranitar, Ninjask and Scizor.

It's settled.

Ehh...Tyranitar can't Baton Pass, ya' know, and what's an Unbreon?

Anyway, it's true what they say: Jolteon rocks as a Baton Passer. (I've played it as a lead on NB and it did a wonderful job. ^^) You can also outfit it with Wish to provide healing support for your team, although Vaporeon and Umbreon are better suited for that. Personally, I've never been that much into using Celebi, but I've seen the passing that thing can do, and the Natural Cure trait is a nice little bonus that keeps paralysis and other nasty little crippling moves away.

Hypello, Mullet has you beat in this argument, I'm afraid. It's a little something called team synergy: Ninjask or Jolteon start out by giving an initial speed bost, then Umbreon is passed in, preventing hazing and phazing with Taunt and trapping the opponent with Mean Look before passing it on to Smeargle who puts the opponent to sleep and Ingrains then passes on to your average Attack/Sp.Attack boosting passer. With a team full of passers (Which you should have if you want to use Ingrain), there's no point in packing all stat boosting moves on one pokémon as you can freely pass abilities between the members. Hence, the only thing a B-Pass team really needs Smeargle for is Ingrain, everything else can be dealt with by other pokémon with better statlines and more all-around usefulness, so Smeargle is really the passer with least practical value. Can it, even after Belly Drum, actually KO something that hasn't already been relentlessly pummeled by other pokémon? Celebi can. Can Smeargle take even a halfway decent attack (Physical or special) and keep going? Celebi can. Can Smeargle get rid of status problems simply by switching out? Celebi can. Can Smeargle actually be switched in against anything capable of attacking? Celebi can. In the face of this evidence, how can you claim that Smeargle is better?

Last edited:

Fr0st

Random Crazy Person
    Years
  • Celebi is better than smeargle, smeargle dies in one hit. The only way you can pull of smeargle is to bpass things to it letting it live or to sacrifice a pokemon to get it in. You can predict which I highly doubt would work out for you...

Back