• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Best non-Legendary Pokemon(s)

Sirfetch’d

For gen 1 I would have to say either Blastoise or Starmie, and for gen 2 I will say either Yanma, Crobat, or Misdreavus.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2015
    Yeah, I'd say most Psychic types in Gen 1. Jynx I think is underestimated because of its added ability to destroy Dragon types with STAB Ice moves.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    Gen 1 probably Arcanine and Dragonite.
    Gen 2 Kingdra is the scariest thing to come out of there hands down. Tyranitar for close second.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Gen 1: Lapras is a top favorite and is amazing in battle with access to boltbeam and surf. Some of my favorites are Nidoking, Clefable, Ninetales, Vaporeon, Flareon, Beedrill, Venomoth, Aerodactlyl, uhh probably missing some but oh well.

Gen 2: Kingdra or Tyranitar will give a run for your money in a match. Both can either work offensively or defensively. My favorites in this gen include Typhlosion, Houndoom, Ampharos, Skarmory, Lanturn, and Croconaw.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For the first generation games, the best Pokémon to use would have to be Chansey. It has great walling abilites, and with Softboiled, this Pokémon is nearly impossible to take down. Plus, it has access to Thunder Wave. Your opponent would be heavily slowed down when they're hit with this move, causing them to have a hard time trying to attack you. Pokémon like Rhydon and Golem could be a little threatening for Chansey, but they could be easily defeated if it has Ice Beam. (:

For generation two, Meganium is the best Pokémon, in my opinion. It's resistant to water, electric, and ground attacks, and it has access to various healing moves. With Leech Seed, Meganium will sip the health out of your opponent on every turn. With Synthesis, it's able to restore half of its HP without any sorts of trouble. If you utilize this Pokémon the correct way, you could stall your opponent for a lot of turns. n__n

Last edited:

Ari Niko

Sincerity
    Years
  • Gen I: hm, that's quite difficult! Perhaps a tie between Blastoise, Venusaur, Venonat, Butterfree. That's based on my personal opinion of the Pokémon. In terms of battle, Gengar beats them all out.

Gen II: Houndoom is my personal favourite. I usually lead off battles with Tyranitar when "pro" battling.

KingRazor

Pokemon Master Since 1999
    Years
  • Starmie

Great type combination (water/psychic)

Able to learn water and psychic type moves (so you get a type advantage quite often)

Able to be taught the thunderbolt TM (woot!)

And to top that all off it has great stats

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2013
    Starmie is pretty awesome; also the Recover ability is really annoying to fight against, provided you don't (or, in my case, forget to) use some form of CC like Sleep.

I think the Mareep takes the cake, though. It's easily obtained and evolves into a pretty powerful electric type (Ampharos) who cuts through most trainers like a warm knife through butter. In GSC, electric has a serious advantage in Johto, as there's not a lot that counters it well.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    In Gen 1 and 2, I liked Dragonite, Tyranitar, Gengar, Meganium, Slugma and the 2 Nidoran lineups.

Back