• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Physical Dragon Attack?

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I put this here instead of General because I am wondering which is better competitively. ^_^

First up, we have Dragon Claw. It has 100% accuracy, but the power of 80 isn't that great when compared to the other choices.

Second, we have Dragon Rush. 75% Accuracy, but 100 base power. It'll hit more often than not, but I still think Dragon Claw would serve me better.

Lastly, Outrage. It had a nice increase of power in DP, from 90 to 120. It has 100% accuracy, though you must use it 2-3 times in a row before getting confused. When considering that this will only be weakened when facing Steel-Types, plus the possibility of holding a Persim Berry, this may be the one to choose. ^_^

Any thoughts on the matter?

Years
    Hey Alakazam!

I'd have to say Outrage. When using Safeguard and holding a Lum/Persim berry you can get at least 4 Outrages in. But if you're one who doesn't like using Safeguard, or doesn't want to waste a hold item for a berry I'd say Dragon Rush. I had a Dragonite with one and it did pretty good. It stood a chance against EV trained Pokemon when it wasn't.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dragon Claw or Outrage.

Dragon Rush sucks. 100 power for only 75% accuracy? No way.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    last generation I would of said Dragon Claw, but with the power increase, I think Outrage is.
    Dragon Rush is bad news IMO, I never use moves with less than 85% accuracy, and generally I'll rarely break 95%

Jim

Dinner
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    My Dragonite has Outrage and a Choice Scarf. It should attack first with the Speed Evs and Choice Scarf and then when it's Outrages are up and he gets confused he gets retreated.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2008
    Keep in mind that you can't switch out during Outrage. Anything with Ice Beam/Punch/Shard/Fang and good defense (or resist) can come in and set up free, then destroy you. Donphan, Empoleon, Milotic, Cresselia, Mamoswine, Metagross, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Gyarados, etc.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    Dragon Rush sucks. My Garchomp knew it for a while and it almost always missed. ;\ I go with Outrage.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2008
    There isn't a "best" physical dragon move...certain moves are better for certain scenarios, and one size does not fit all. It all depends on the scenario. See: Specmence with two special dragon moves)

Anyways, the message has been beaten to death...but, Dragon Rush sucks.

Your two most reliable options are Dragon Claw and Outrage.

A fast pokemon with a choice scarf (or choice band, commence the heated arguments), high attack, and Outrage (read: Garchomp) will total nearly anything that switches in against it. Only a few pokemon will have the defenses to withstand a round or two of Outrage (the most common being Skarmory).

Dragon Claw is better for testing the waters though, and will still nick the opponent for a decent amount of damage while allowing you to switch out at your leisure. I would say it's better for the early game, when you're unsure of what they'll have in the way of pokemon.

In other words: feel out what your opponent has, and if they lack a viable counter with high defense, tear them down with Outrage. Otherwise, stick to dragon claw for a bit of flirting damage. Or, use a fire or ground move for mind games. Do what you are so inclined. To do.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    Outrage. I can say from experience that it is an excellent Dragon move to use. With a high-powered sweeper, the STAB gain, and with Choice Band, you can probably sweep any non-Steel type without many problems. :D

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    In those circumstances, outrage is the best hands down but dragon claw is better for many other situations like mentioned in the above post.

Back