• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Remake

Years
  • FR/LG and HG/SS are almost tied. Second Gen will probably be forever my favorite Generation, though. Out of all the games it seems to have the most content.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    HGSS over LG/FR, but not by much. I think ive just played FR too many times and it started getting kind of bland. But what im wondering is why the pokemon follow feature annoyed people so much? I cannot see how it could be annoying, considering it doesnt affect anything.

Years
  • Definitely HeartGold & SoulSilver, they were my fave games until Black & White's release.

The stuff I loved about HG/SS was that they kept the gameplay so close to the original G/S but add the updated features from Generation 4. Also, the post-game and Safari Zone is pretty enjoyable.

Years
  • Nothing wrong with your opinion, but what exactly did GSC do wrong that HGSS didn't fix? They added the Safari Zone.

The main reason is that trainers are still underleveled, specifically in the Mahogany/LoR area and the Post game. Kanto still feels like it was just carelessly thrown on there. I really would have liked it (G/S/C and HG/SS) better if it was just Johto with some more features. Also, the whole Ho-oh/Lugia thing was pretty random, and kind of just thrown on there just so you could get the cover legend before the Elite 4.

I would've liked it more if you could choose whether they follow you or not. Sometimes I like a Pokemon following me but at other times I don't.

Exactly. I have no idea why Gamefreak never made that optional.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen today
    HGSS! The best in term of remakes. Lots of new features, such as the follow me feature which I love, and amazing graphics.

Demon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    The main reason is that trainers are still underleveled, specifically in the Mahogany/LoR area and the Post game. Kanto still feels like it was just carelessly thrown on there. I really would have liked it (G/S/C and HG/SS) better if it was just Johto with some more features. Also, the whole Ho-oh/Lugia thing was pretty random, and kind of just thrown on there just so you could get the cover legend before the Elite 4.

Exactly. I have no idea why Gamefreak never made that optional.

I still dont get how people can find that annoying. Just ride your bike or something.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2013
    I hated HeartGold/SoulSilver, at the core they are brilliant, G/S/C IMO are the best Pokemon games by miles, but the whole follow-me feature completely killed the entire game for me, couldn't play it for that and didn't buy it, it's such a **** gimmick and the fact it cannot be disabled was a huge slap in the face.

Demon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    That seems a little extreme. You hate it because a pokemon can follow you? You must not be able to play a lot of games if small things like that stop you from playing them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2013
    First game that I've ever felt that way about, it's a shame really as the game does look great, I'm just hoping for a ROMhack that removes them, doubtful though. :(

Demon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    why dont you just play the game? I can kinda see how it could annoy someone, but not how it could annoy you so much that you cant play the game. Just ride a bike everywhere you can.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2013
    Well at the minute I'm playing Shiny Gold and prefer that anyway, because the Firered engine is my overall favorite (G/S/C I enjoyed the most, and I would say are my *favorite* games, but Firered to me was the best compromise of mechanics/looks) so I'll give HG/SS a miss regardless, I wouldn't mind if it was like Yellow and only your Starter followed you but anyone in the first slot? Really? I appreciate some people will want that and for that I'm glad it's there, but Gamefreak can go **** themselves for not making it optional.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    HeartGold and Soul Silver were definately the best. I mean, it kinda had FR/LG in it. It even had the Pokéwalker. But in FR/LG you could go to the Sevii Islands. But then HG/SS has the 2 actual reigons. So HG/SS it is!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 25, 2012
    I didn't like FR/LG to be honest. I like can't play a game with just Kanto anymore, it's not very fulfilling in my opinion. I do like how in HG/SS you can go to Kanto, but typically I don't like that region, and therefore not FR/LG.

Tranca

Monolith
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2013
    HG/SS really seemed to broaden the gameplay experience with the amount of legendary pokemon available and the pokewalker. However I have yet to play fr/lg.

Back