• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Best Starter

best starter

• bulbasaur

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • charmander

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • squirtle

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • treecko

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • torchic

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • mudkip

Votes: 23 31.9%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2008
    Just wondering what do you guys think is the best starter for fire red/leaf green and/or ruby sapphire and emerald feel free to vote and state your opions!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Mudkip, without a doubt.
    Fully evolved, it has only one weakness which it covers with Ice Beam.
    It's also very solid in DPP.

You could also say that I liek them.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    No contest whatsoever. Mudkip is the best starter the Pokemon has ever produced. It has one of the best typing in the game, learns Ice Beam to cover its lone weakness, and has a terrific movepool that makes it a staple in competitive battling. Not only is it the best starter in the game, but also one of the best ever.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    I would say either a treecko or a torchic never really played with mudkip that much so I wouldn't know much about it

Andrew1989

neet
    Years
  • Mudkip.

Unlike the other two, when it evolves into it's second stage, it can take care of the first four Gym Leaders without a problem.

...And as someone previously stated, it being a Water/Ground allows it to 'avoid' the annoying Electric type attacks. And even though it has a 4x weakness to Grass, this can easily be covered with Ice Beam ^_^/

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Definitely Mudkip. Its Water/Ground type covers Electricity, but is extremely weak against Grass, which is covered by Ice Beam.

So I would say Mudkip.

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
  • Mudkipz. Cuz i liek them. xDD

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I have a deep-seated dislike for Treecko and Torchic, and the Kanto starters are just okay for me. I always picked Mudkip because the kids I played with thought Blaziken was the coolest thing ever.)

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I'll have to say Charmander, because it's been one of my favorites for a long time. Plus, I love Charizard, even with it's battling weaknesses.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • Well, competitively, Mudkip is pretty much the winner. Water/ground is a very good type combination, definetely.

But when it comes down to sheer favoritism, it'd be Charmander for me.
    Charizard for the win.

Years
  • lol @ everyone mimicking my mudkip argument.

I voted for tha 'kip cos its da best.
    But my favourite is Blaziken. Even though it's too slow to counter it's poor typing, I like it.

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
  • Treecko. Yeah, Mudkip is well rounded and all but look at all the water types available in Hoenn. There aren't as many fire and grass starters. Torchic is okay but...I've found it to be a major liablility against Team Aqua. Yeah the same could be said for Treecko with Team Magma but you can at least find a good water type to fix that problem.

As for the Kanto starters...it's harder to choose. I almost always choose Charmander but...

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    yeah I'm currently finding out that mudkip is the best. My combusken is having trouble with may's marshtomp

Years
  • Sure that Mudkip he's my favorite starter pokemon and he is the stronger one.And yes he has a weakness but you can easily resovle it with Ice Beam.

Back