• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bill Nye 'The Science Guy' slams Creationism

Years
  • Source

In a clip posted to online knowledge forum Big Think via YouTube, former children's show host Bill Nye spoke out against the denial of evolution, saying such views harm young people especially and hamper scientific progress.

Nye, who hosted the educational show "Bill Nye the Science Guy," which aired on PBS Kids from 1993 through 1998, made the statements in a clip posted online on Thursday, and has since been viewed over one million times. In the clip, Nye praises the United States for its contribution to technological innovation, but says that the denial of evolution is unique to the country.

"People still move to the United States. And that's largely because of the intellectual capital we have, the general understanding of science," Nye said in the clip. "When you have a portion of the population that doesn't believe in that, it holds everybody back, really.

"Evolution is the fundamental idea in all of life science, in all of biology. It's like, it's very much analogous to trying to do geology without believing in tectonic plates. You're just not going to get the right answer. Your whole world is just going to be a mystery instead of an exciting place," he added.

Nye made a three-stop tour through New Hampshire earlier this summer to tout President Obama's education policies while making a push for science and engineering programs. He has endorsed Obama's reelection bid.

In the clip, Nye said that one's "world just becomes fantastically complicated when you don't believe in evolution."

"Here are these ancient dinosaur bones or fossils, here is radioactivity, here are distant stars that are just like our star but they're at a different point in their lifecycle. The idea of deep time, of this billions of years, explains so much of the world around us. If you try to ignore that, your world view just becomes crazy, just untenable, itself inconsistent," he said.

Nye then goes on to urge adults not to deny the teaching of evolution to young people.

"And I say to the grownups, if you want to deny evolution and live in your world, in your world that's completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe, that's fine, but don't make your kids do it because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future. We need people that can - we need engineers that can build stuff, solve problems.

"It's just really a hard thing, it's really a hard thing. You know, in another couple of centuries that world view, I'm sure, will be, it just won't exist. There's no evidence for it."

Thoughts? Agree or disagree with bill bill bill bill bill bill bill

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • For a second, I thought this thread was confirming the "RIP Bill Nye" trend from Twitter last night...if that was confused with Bill Nye trending because of THIS, then we are in a sad world.

He has a point though. It gets very complicated when you don't believe in evolution, but I'd also go on to say it's complicated if you believe both. But at least with evolution, it is actually proven. So why people don't believe in it...well, I would say it's beyond me, but I can understand how it would be hard to be raised in a setting where God created everything and suddenly "no, t-rex became chickens" and what not. I have a hard time grasping it, because when I was a kid, what was my favorite chapter of the Bible? Genesis. lmao Okay it's weird to say I had a favorite chapter...cause now I could care less.

Anyway though, it's fine that he has his own opinion. I agree with most, though I don't think creationism will become obsolete, especially any time soon. Creationism is equally interesting honestly, but that's not saying too much because I would rather read about the history of video games than the history behind evolution or creationism, haha. idk why this is a big deal...not like he's donating our money to anti organizations. -whistles-

Years
  • I agree with Bill Nye, slightly. Sadly with places that don't focus on life sciences, or prioritize education, creationism as an idea will never completely disappear. But history has passed over such silly things as the prohibition of alcohol, so there's still hope yet.

Granted, I'm sure there's still some educational use for creationism, but I haven't thought of it yet.

The only real problem with creationism isn't about the "creation" part, it's about the associated belief that the world was made in 7 days of 24 hours each. This is due to a strict interpretation of the Hebrew word "yom" in the Old Testament for the English translation, which can mean either a defined or an undefined length of time. If people fail to notice this, then the real problem will never be fixed.

I completely agree with his sense of style, however. One of the only people I know who can still rock a bow tie.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    http://bit.ly/ReI3G9 thought it was appropriate.

Anyways, yeah, the problem comes from the word "yom".

Tbh your blog post is fairly irrelevant and has a number of glaringly obvious flaws.

Bill Nye has a perfectly good point - he is saying you can believe what you want, but don't let your children blindly follow. The way I read it at least he is suggesting that evolution should be taught for children to make up their minds what works for them, and give them the opportunity to think differently than their family/community does.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • I watched the video. Good on him, I'm very glad he made that video and every single point he made was valid to me. And that's all I've got to say for myself, really.

So people are attacking Bill for this little 2 1/2 minute clip?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Bill Nye is awesome

Here, I love that he put the focus or blame on parents (or "grownups" as he put it) and not necessarily any Church or religion or a generalization of such. At least in the text quote on this page, I haven't watched the video yet.

Years
  • My favorite "Chapter" in the Bible? Revelations. Fire and Brimstone are a fun read. :p

Anyways just watched the video. I'm seriously surprised that he has gone on to tackle this (absurdly) controversial issue head on. Still it needed to be done considering the ramifications for future society when science itself is being attacked.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • I think that more people need to take firm stance that Creationism should not be taught in schools. I think that it is ridiculous that some private religious schools are teaching kids that the Earth began mere thousands of years ago. Bill is right to bash it. I'm not even saying that it is all religious schools (I went to catholic schools for most of my time in elementary and high school and none of my schools taught that creationism was fact).

Flight.

→ Break Away
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 4, 2013
    I agree with his view, but honestly I think he presented this in the wrong way.

He claims that everything else besides evolution is wrong and people should not believe in anything else, which, first off, comes off as quite arrogant in my opinion, and second off, won't do anything to change the minds of others. The only thing this does is create rage on one side and boast the egos of the other side, because well, this is Bill Nye we're talking about. This isn't just some random scientist or professor, this is an idol, a star. A debate between the two sides of creationism and non-creationism is always healthy - as it sparks new thoughts and ideas - but this statement doesn't try to encourage any type of healthy debate at all. It's more of a "you're wrong, I'm right" kind of thing.

While I'll always love Bill, I can't say that this thing he's doing here is really that good for anyone.

Sir Codin

I'm one of those people who thinks teaching creationism should stay in churches where it belongs, so I am 100% with him. Of course, I'm speaking as Biology major, here. Plus I guess you could say I am atheist, but I don't really like labeling myself as such...or much of anything for that matter.

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 22, 2021
    I agree with Bill Nye, slightly. Sadly with places that don't focus on life sciences, or prioritize education, creationism as an idea will never completely disappear. But history has passed over such silly things as the prohibition of alcohol, so there's still hope yet.

Granted, I'm sure there's still some educational use for creationism, but I haven't thought of it yet.

The only real problem with creationism isn't about the "creation" part, it's about the associated belief that the world was made in 7 days of 24 hours each. This is due to a strict interpretation of the Hebrew word "yom" in the Old Testament for the English translation, which can mean either a defined or an undefined length of time. If people fail to notice this, then the real problem will never be fixed.

I completely agree with his sense of style, however. One of the only people I know who can still rock a bow tie.

Time had no proper means of measurement back then. Additionally, time to God, iirc, is essentially meaningless, isn't it? I was always taught that to God, a day is a thousand years as a thousand years is a day. But, that's not the only thing people try and argue against evolution. They also have a problem with things like the VERY creation and how it differs from what the Bible says. Supposedly. It never actually says, at least from the King James version I possess, how he made man or beast for that matter.

Additionally, I would like to point out that nowhere in that video does he badmouth Creationism. He merely states that to reject something that is accepted, modern, and scientifically backed is very counter to a progressive world and a hindrance on society, pretty much. Call me naive, but Evolution doesn't attempt or aim to disprove or contest Creationism, but rather give a more concise explanation for where we came from. HOW we were made. Something, again, is very vaguely stated. People dislike to believe that we weren't just made to be the way we are today, but even the Bible doesn't state exactly the process used to create man. Genesis 1:27 states only this: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

Take it as you will, but it seems to me as though slamming Creationism wasn't his goal. What it seemed like he was trying to combat was the closed-mindedness of people to accept something for the betterment of everyone. It isn't just Creationists that contest it, after all :U

Anyway, I do hope that some of the more on the fence people who aren't sure about Evolution will lean toward its acceptance. So many kids and adults have grown up knowing and believing in Nye. I doubt he realizes just how much what he has to say weighs in on so many younger peoples' scientific opinion.

Years
  • I agree with his view, but honestly I think he presented this in the wrong way.

He claims that everything else besides evolution is wrong and people should not believe in anything else, which, first off, comes off as quite arrogant in my opinion, and second off, won't do anything to change the minds of others. The only thing this does is create rage on one side and boast the egos of the other side, because well, this is Bill Nye we're talking about. This isn't just some random scientist or professor, this is an idol, a star. A debate between the two sides of creationism and non-creationism is always healthy - as it sparks new thoughts and ideas - but this statement doesn't try to encourage any type of healthy debate at all. It's more of a "you're wrong, I'm right" kind of thing.

While I'll always love Bill, I can't say that this thing he's doing here is really that good for anyone.

There's nothing arrogant about it, and there is no debate - he's completely correct here. Schools teach facts. Evolution is fact. Schools teach evolution and not creationism. Creationism is nothing but the Christian creation myth, every culture has one. Teaching & advocating for unbiased, empirical scientific fact over glorified superstition is good for any society that values intellectualism and rationality.

Bear

Fascist baby.
    Years
  • Granted, I'm sure there's still some educational use for creationism, but I haven't thought of it yet.

Then I don't think you can be sure of it. Forgetting for a moment that this is creationism, this kind of reasoning in general can be dangerously slippery since it then allows us to invent pathways to justification.

As far as I can tell, the only reason why creationism persists and why it has infiltrated certain schools is because of the simple financial muscularity of the churches that abide by it. Monetary power has political influence.

He claims that everything else besides evolution is wrong and people should not believe in anything else, which, first off, comes off as quite arrogant in my opinion, and second off, won't do anything to change the minds of others. The only thing this does is create rage on one side and boast the egos of the other side, because well, this is Bill Nye we're talking about. This isn't just some random scientist or professor, this is an idol, a star.

To be honest I don't think Bill Nye was all that stringent in what he said as you seem to be pointing to. As he says, if someone tells him that they don't believe in evolution, he asks them why not. He does not flatly tell them that they are wrong. His question may be implying this, but moreover it allows his opposing friend to elaborate.

Nowhere does he say that people should believe only in evolution (as if it's something to believe in; you either accept a fact or you do not). I think Mr. Nye emphasises the the difference in value between fact and faith when he says "evolution is the fundamental idea in all of life science, in all of biology" which sounds a bit sweeping despite it being completely true.

A debate between the two sides of creationism and non-creationism is always healthy - as it sparks new thoughts and ideas - but this statement doesn't try to encourage any type of healthy debate at all. It's more of a "you're wrong, I'm right" kind of thing.

I assume the video is part of an interview, but we aren't shown the interviewer's questions which makes it seem one-sided. Regardless of this, we are obviously interested in what he has to say. A statement shouldn't always have to inspire some wholesome argument. A statement is a statement. In any case, Nye's views have done exactly that, because here we are, discussing it.

I agree that the debate of creationism is an old and exhausted (if not decided) one and there is little chance of inspiring some new groundbreaking argument, but Nye does raise an important point; the role of parents. I could never and still do not understand why it happens that the child of two religious parents is automatically assigned the same religion without that child's ability to choose or employ reasoning of his/her own on the matter. I cannot imagine a more underhanded way of indoctrination.

There's also something to be said about arrogance. I see none of it in what he says, but is Nye all that arrogant if his advocacy of evolution is a result of rational thinking and close reasoning? I think he would be more arrogant if he tried to pass off some fallacy as truth.

I'm one of those people who thinks teaching creationism should stay in churches where it belongs, so I am 100% with him. Of course, I'm speaking as Biology major, here. Plus I guess you could say I am atheist, but I don't really like labeling myself as such...or much of anything for that matter.

The problem here lies with the very nature of religion. I don't like comparing it to a virus, but it shares that trait of distribution with it in that religion needs to spread in order to sustain. I am perfectly happy to let a person believe that the earth is 6 000 years old for the same reason that I am happy to let a person believe that a pot of gold awaits them at the bottom of a rainbow. It brings neither me nor anyone else harm if he/she keeps it to him/herself and it probably gives comfort to that person.

But when that person seeks to convince someone else (often an unlettered or unfortunate person - the favourite prey of the Christian church local to me) of their nonsense, then we must raise an alarm. Thinking we can allow it to flourish in a church only is a superficial solution at best and inevitably, not one at all.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • This is the problem. People interpret the Bible literally.

The Bible isn't supposed to be taken literally. The miracles that happened aren't according to any laws of physics that we know of as fact, and so we can't teach it at school.

The Bible is only there to teach moral guidance, not to teach everything. That's something we Christians need to realize

And regarding Creationism, think about it this way. For people who probably couldn't (or wouldn't) even imagine one million as a quantifiable number, telling them the Earth existed for 4.6 billion years would be confusing. And why is the word "ium" not "24 hours"? Remember that this is before the time of accurate clocks and precise seconds. These people measured time on directly observable time periods. This word could be used for one day, a month, a year, or for whatever. They didn't define it as "24 hours" because, well, hours didn't exist yet. You know the saying "the dawn of time"? Obviously they don't mean time went through a sunrise in one day before time was quantifiable. This phrase was invented before the Anglo-Saxons knew about "minutes" and "seconds" and whatnot. In the same sense, the Isrealites would have done the same things as the Anglo-Saxons.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This is the problem. People interpret the Bible literally.

The Bible isn't supposed to be taken literally. The miracles that happened aren't according to any laws of physics that we know of as fact, and so we can't teach it at school.

The Bible is only there to teach moral guidance, not to teach everything. That's something we Christians need to realize.

lol I just said this in another thread. It's full of imagery, symbolism and Metaphor. It's not a direct guide that you're meant to quote verbatim from. Creationism would fall under those aforementioned categories.

Back