• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White on the 3DS

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Why was Black and White made for the DS, rather than waiting a little longer for it to be a 3DS exclusive?

- Black and White were released about 6 months before 3DS, so GF could've held off on the release for a few months.
    - Brand new generation.
    - 3DS sales could have been boosted with Pokemon fans wanting their Pokemon fix.
    - Could've been a test aka trial and error, as DP was to DS (and Platinum was better as a result), so that third game/RS remakes reach their full potential graphics-wise.
    Black and White on the 3DS
    How do you guys feel about it not being a 3DS exclusive title?
    Do you think it would've been worth the wait?
    Are R/S remakes & third game at a disadvantage (in terms of developing graphics for a newer system) if GF intends to put them on the 3DS?

Share your thoughts about this!

Last edited:

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
    I don't know, I'm just glad that it wasn't. I JUST bought a DS since the only games on it that I like are the Pokemon games, I'd HATE HATE HATE HATE it if it came out on 3DS and I hope all future games come out on a regular DS.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Quite happy. Considering that the estimated "seller" for the 3DS was supposed to be LoZ: OoT. Its release did NOT boost the sales. Even the Price Drop hasn't budged the sales in the store I work in or most of them around us. Most people don't want to upgrade to the 3DS which is something I think Gamefreak may have predicted given the projected sale rates. If it were released on the 3DS a lot of people wouldn't have bought it and would have waited a while before buying it.

No. Sales had a high potential to drop just because it would have been on the 3DS.

Are R/S remakes & third game at a disadvantage (in terms of developing graphics for a newer system) if GF intends to put them on the 3DS?
    Possibly yes. The Graphics change and engine needed could have a heavy hit against the two already out. If they don't upgrade to better graphics for the 3DS despite their graphics being one of the best I've seen for 2D animations, it could cause issues similar to that of the switch from Gameboy Color to the Gameboy Advance.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    ...so GF could've held off on the release for a few months...

So then they would've come out with a terribly underwhelming game like Mystery Dungeon Blue that barely takes advantage of the new hardware at all. The only thing that would achieve is crippling your sales by releasing a game that's not good enough to incite everyone to buy a system that most people found was extremely expensive at the time.

We're talking at least another year of development time would've been needed to get the game up to a good standard for the 3DS, if only because they would require drawing new artwork at higher resolution and higher quality, redesigning the entire game for a bigger, wider screen and reprogramming several elements that the 3DS performs differently in (like network functionality).

Ultimately Nintendo wanted to the game to come out before 3DS took the wind out of the sails of DS games, so Game Freak were in a place where they had to try and make a polished game out of it as soon as possible.

But it's also an understandable position - nobody wants to see their hard work go down the drain because the project's suddenly changed scope. Especially not for Game Freak and Nintendo - they'd have a big chunk of time and money that's been spent developing BW completely thrown to the wind because what they've done ends up unusable, and more money having to be spent remaking the game for the 3DS.

Pokemon Game Fan said:
    ...and I hope all future games come out on a regular DS.

Please, don't delude yourself. You've bought into a system that's been out for nearly 7 years now. It has had its day, and people need to accept that and move on, as much as they don't like to admit they're going to have to buy a new system to play new games. Nintendo have, I assure you.

Last edited:

Scat Away

Screws the Rules
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2011
    isn't it 3D already...? releasing a game for the 3DS when its out already seems like a waste of money to me. assuming that said copy would be a COMPLETELY IDENTICAL version of it

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
    @100MegaShock Actually, the 3DS hasn't gotten that many sales, if GF is smart, they won't sell any main stream Pokemon games on it, plus the fact that you can't play the 3DS for long amounts of time without facing serious brain issues while Pokemon games REQUIRE lots of time in them. If GF was smart, they simply would not use 3DS for their main-plot games.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    Well i have absolutely no money right now, so the only way i could possibly afford a 3DS is if it were Christmas, and even then its kind of iffy. Not everyone can just go out and buy a system any time they want. Im going to stick with my ds for as long as i can. i enjoyed White a lot, so im glad they didnt put it on the 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    @100MegaShock Actually, the 3DS hasn't gotten that many sales, if GF is smart, they won't sell any main stream Pokemon games on it, plus the fact that you can't play the 3DS for long amounts of time without facing serious brain issues while Pokemon games REQUIRE lots of time in them. If GF was smart, they simply would not use 3DS for their main-plot games.

Nintendo pull the strings in this relationship. They're the people responsible for publishing the game, and do remember that Nintendo's very own CEO Satoru Iwata is often credited as an executive producer. If they want a 3DS Pokémon game, then what they say is often what goes.

Besides, that's half the point. Sell a big name game like Pokémon on the 3DS and guess what, people will buy the 3DS! If they don't provide any games to sell the 3DS, people will just buy the PS Vita or an iPhone instead, which is what Nintendo don't want to happen. They don't have any reason to make DS games anymore - they've sold almost as many as they ever will at this point, and they're now focusing on making games for the 3DS that will impress people and make them want to buy one and then buy all the 3DS games they make in the future.

By the way, aside from your dubious claims of "serious brain issues", the 3DS has this oft-unreported feature that lets you, surprisingly, not play games in 3D.

But what's more important than conjecture is what's actually on the table. Take a look at the release schedule for the DS - In Japan, there aren't any more DS games coming out that have been made by Nintendo, or their affiliated developers. That's it.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm glad it wasn't a 3DS exclusive, if only for the selfish reason that I don't own a 3DS. xD I think that between the extra effort they put in for the 3D (2D 3D I mean, lol) graphics, and that kind of stuff, it would have been way too much work to put it on the 3DS unless they intended to do something like Devil Survivor Overclocked and not have much 3D at all.

I could see the third game as a test game, with part 3D and part not, to make it doable in the normal time frame without having to remake everything.

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
    Personally, I'm very glad it wasn't held off for the 3DS. Really, that's just because I don't plan on ever getting a 3DS. However, from Game Freak's and Nintendo's point of view, I don't know exactly why they didn't wait, but I'm sure there was good reasoning. I'm not sure it would have been worth the wait.

As far as future games, I'm sure they will benefit from being on the 3DS, as long as they take advantage of the right features of the console (I'm not entirely sure what the features of the 3DS are, beyond the obvious 3D gimmick and the thumb pad, since I don't have one.)

Years
    Guys, 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games. I don't think they'll have any plans to release a main series Pokemon game on 3DS cos a 3DS can play regular DS games.

Maybe with the B/W third version (Grey?) or the R/S remake, they could release it on both systems so that hardcore Pokefans won't have to be forced into getting a 3DS.

I own an Ice Blue DS Lite and I still enjoy playing Pearl, Platinum and SoulSilver on it, plus I'm getting Black for my birthday. I know the 3DS has had a price drop recently but please Nintendo and Game Freak, don't force me into getting a 3DS cos I am a hardcore Pokefan even with my Ice Blue DS Lite.

Main series games should still be released on DS due to the 3DS' backwards compatibility.

I'm standing up for PC users who don't have a 3DS!

Do you think I'm making a good statement on why I think the next main series game doesn't have to be 3DS exclusive?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Nintendo is not making any more Nintendo DS video games

I'm sorry but that's it.

This has happened with the Game Boy, the Game Boy Advance, the Super Nintendo, the Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube. Those systems all had their swansongs (Zelda: Oracle of Ages / Seasons on the GBC. Pokémon Emerald and The Minish Cap on GBA. Yoshi's Island or SMRPG on the SNES. Paper Mario and Animal Crossing on the N64. Twilight Princess on the GC.) All of those games came out around the same time as the next Nintendo console did, maybe a few months before or a few months after, but that's a natural consequence of games being started so far in advance.

But, once they get serious about releasing their next console, Nintendo - and Sony and Microsoft too, pretty much stop greenlighting any big new projects for their current system, and looking into developing new games for their new system - that's just how business works.

The 3DS already has the rest of Nintendo's biggest franchises on it. We've got a Zelda game and a Starfox game. By Christmas we'll have Mario Kart and a brand new Mario game. Next year we'll get Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros. There's even a Pokémon spin-off game for the system. That is the sign of a company who has put all their resources into making games for the new system, and stopped developing for the old one.

Nintendo does not care about the feelings of people who own a DS. They care about pushing the product they have on the market now, and to do that they need to make as many games that they can to attract people to buy the system and buy those games.

The video game industry is a constant competition. You can't make games on outdated system just to placate a few people who don't want to buy a new one, because there are always other companies who want to sell their video game systems, ones that have bigger and shinier games than what you can make for an old system like the DS.

Last edited:
    Years
    So is the 3DS the technical successor to the DS?

I mean, is the 3DS a completely new system like the upcoming Wii U?

I guess that means that if I want to play like, the third version to BW, the RS remakes or even the Gen VI games, I have to upgrade to a 3DS?

Guess Black may be my final Pokemon game ever if I don't upgrade to a 3DS.

100 Mega Shock, Nintendo should respect those Pokefans who don't even want a 3DS. Upgrading console just to play the next main series Pokemon games means I may quit Pokemon altogether.

Plus, 100 Mega Shock, there are several users posting in this thread that don't even want to move to a 3DS just because you think it's a new console like the Wii U or the Playstation Vita?

Are you technically meaning that Black & White will be the last-ever Pokemon games on DS?

So are Black & White like the Emerald of the DS?

I don't know, I'm just glad that it wasn't. I JUST bought a DS since the only games on it that I like are the Pokemon games, I'd HATE HATE HATE HATE it if it came out on 3DS and I hope all future games come out on a regular DS.

What do you think of my mini-protest against all future main series Pokemon games forcing us to buy a 3DS?

Yeah, I'll be gutted if the RS remakes or Grey are made 3DS-exclusive despite also being 5th Gen games cos then I'd have to persuade my mother to get a 3DS for my next birthday or Christmas next year.

Nintendo and Game Freak, you need to learn from all these Pokemon lovers that don't want to upgrade to a 3DS as of yet!

Please don't make Black & White the last ever DS Pokemon main series games, if we are forced into buying a 3DS just because you want to promote it more often, some of us may consider never playing a Pokemon game again.

Here at PokeCommunity, we respect users who haven't even got a 3DS as of yet. If you make Grey and/or Ruby & Sapphire remakes 3DS-exclusive, my prized Ice Blue DS Lite will go to waste and be a dust collector like my limited edition Tattoo Game Boy Advance SP was before it.

Game Freak, I've been playing all main series games since Ruby & Sapphire and I'll have to persuade for a 3DS just so I can continue playing the games and if you confirm that the 3DS is the DS replacement I may as well just quit playing Pokemon altogether.

I am stepping up for the rights of PokeCommunity users that do not currently have a 3DS!

Follow the links on my signature to my Twitter and Facebook pages (or PM me) if you think that future main series Pokemon games shouldn't be 3DS-exclusive.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Guys just a reminder that this is just a thread asking about whether you wanted Black and White on the 3DS not whether you think they'll make future DS games or if Black and White will be the last DS games. I know that does technically relate but really that sort of discussion doesn't really fit here.

If you'd like to discuss whether you think there should be DS games in the future after Black and White then best to discuss that in Pokemon Gaming Central. :)

Anyway, as for me I'm sorta happy that B/W are on the DS rather than the 3DS, aka not having to buy a new console straight away but idk it'll just be odd if the third game or R/S remakes are on the 3DS randomly in the middle of the generation, while all other generations haven't really had that sort of jump. Oh well!

Years
    Guys just a reminder that this is just a thread asking about whether you wanted Black and White on the 3DS not whether you think they'll make future DS games or if Black and White will be the last DS games. I know that does technically relate but really that sort of discussion doesn't really fit here.

If you'd like to discuss whether you think there should be DS games in the future after Black and White then best to discuss that in Pokemon Gaming Central. :)

Anyway, as for me I'm sorta happy that B/W are on the DS rather than the 3DS, aka not having to buy a new console straight away but idk it'll just be odd if the third game or R/S remakes are on the 3DS randomly in the middle of the generation, while all other generations haven't really had that sort of jump. Oh well!

What do you think of the mini-protest I did in my last post?

At least you're also happy that Black & White were not made for 3DS.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I feel fine about Black and White not being 3DS exclusive, around the time of the 3DS launch I couldn't afford to get one, and If Black and White was released around that time, I would of been screwed since I was hyped about the release of Black and White. Being on the 3DS kinda puts it at a disadvantage since playing in 3D has made some people feel sick and playing time was cut down by a lot. I think if this happened with Black/White that the sales wouldn't of done amazingly well. I think they'll be at a slight disadvantage because of the previous point about feeling sick easily. Although I'd still get a 3DS and the games and play the crap out of them.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
    good, just glad no in 3Ds otherwise I would have to buy one.
    Yeah, even though it has 3D effect in the game.
    I don't they would remake r/s for better quality but for the third game they would make better graphics.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I feel fine about Black and White not being 3DS exclusive, around the time of the 3DS launch I couldn't afford to get one, and If Black and White was released around that time, I would of been screwed since I was hyped about the release of Black and White. Being on the 3DS kinda puts it at a disadvantage since playing in 3D has made some people feel sick and playing time was cut down by a lot. I think if this happened with Black/White that the sales wouldn't of done amazingly well. I think they'll be at a slight disadvantage because of the previous point about feeling sick easily. Although I'd still get a 3DS and the games and play the crap out of them.

I don't think many people had their playing time cut down by sickness because of 3D, considering the fact that they can always turn the 3D down or off depending on how bad it is. My boyfriend has a 3DS and he never even has the 3D on, for example. I know I've read that people may get sick, but I've never read that people play less because of it, just turn the 3D off.

Actionhero112

Apply the lotion now!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 13, 2012
    Yeah you know everyone is right. In fact, why even put B/W on a ds at all? I don't have enough money for the system upgrade from the Gameboy Color We should just put all the games on the old systems. That way everyone can play them. Who cares if the graphics, gameplay, and the originality suffers. Its all about making sure I, as an individual, can afford the games.

*facepalm*

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    So is the 3DS the technical successor to the DS?

I mean, is the 3DS a completely new system like the upcoming Wii U?

I guess that means that if I want to play like, the third version to BW, the RS remakes or even the Gen VI games, I have to upgrade to a 3DS?

Guess Black may be my final Pokemon game ever if I don't upgrade to a 3DS.

100 Mega Shock, Nintendo should respect those Pokefans who don't even want a 3DS. Upgrading console just to play the next main series Pokemon games means I may quit Pokemon altogether.

Plus, 100 Mega Shock, there are several users posting in this thread that don't even want to move to a 3DS just because you think it's a new console like the Wii U or the Playstation Vita?

Are you technically meaning that Black & White will be the last-ever Pokemon games on DS?

So are Black & White like the Emerald of the DS?

What do you think of my mini-protest against all future main series Pokemon games forcing us to buy a 3DS?

Yeah, I'll be gutted if the RS remakes or Grey are made 3DS-exclusive despite also being 5th Gen games cos then I'd have to persuade my mother to get a 3DS for my next birthday or Christmas next year.

Nintendo and Game Freak, you need to learn from all these Pokemon lovers that don't want to upgrade to a 3DS as of yet!

Please don't make Black & White the last ever DS Pokemon main series games, if we are forced into buying a 3DS just because you want to promote it more often, some of us may consider never playing a Pokemon game again.

Here at PokeCommunity, we respect users who haven't even got a 3DS as of yet. If you make Grey and/or Ruby & Sapphire remakes 3DS-exclusive, my prized Ice Blue DS Lite will go to waste and be a dust collector like my limited edition Tattoo Game Boy Advance SP was before it.

Game Freak, I've been playing all main series games since Ruby & Sapphire and I'll have to persuade for a 3DS just so I can continue playing the games and if you confirm that the 3DS is the DS replacement I may as well just quit playing Pokemon altogether.

I am stepping up for the rights of PokeCommunity users that do not currently have a 3DS!

Follow the links on my signature to my Twitter and Facebook pages (or PM me) if you think that future main series Pokemon games shouldn't be 3DS-exclusive.

In some ways I agree, but you have to understand. They only care about the money, they will promote to buy a new system, because the older ones are outdated compared to the 3DS. If they do make pokemon games for both that'd be fine too. My friend said he will not buy a 3DS until he is forced to. As for me I am playing Zelda and Starfox so there's no love loss for me.

Anyway, I'm glad it was just reg for now I got a 3DS a few months after BW and I'm glad I got to play it when it first came out.

I also don't think it's a disadvantage if they put the newer games on 3DS why? They did it with DP and then fixed up their stuff on the 3rd game. Like Forever said, its trial and error and they have to do it that way.

Back