• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Black Mage, White Mage, Warrior, Ranger...

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi, have a fun thread (I hope) :woop:

Going from Roleplays to Role-playing games for this one: knowing the typical setting and cast of those games, what kind of Job, Class or, in general, role would fit your characters? Or what would they like to be?
    Things such as Warrior, Mage, Summoner, you know. TV Tropes has a nice list of them here!

Oh, I guess many campaigns and even roleplays have similar mechanics already in place: but in that case why not mention those jobs anyways and maybe tell us a bit about what they entail?

That said, also feel free to go by instinct and pick what feels right in the moment! Let's just see what associations we can all make~

Credit to Dragon for coming up with this question originally in a small group discussion

EDIT: now we have a Pokémon version of this too! Tell us your characters' Spirit Pokémon or something in there :wavereep:

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Jo is a difficult character to decide. I was looking if there was a class that combined both Magician and Fighter classes, since Jo makes everything possible to have a pretty balanced team, and the Magic Knight is what I found. But, upon taking another read, the Warlord class came up, and that's pretty fitting for them, since they are a great strategist as well.

As much as I think Barbarian/Berserker or Warrior fit Miranda because of the fact they are units that hold heavy weaponry-and Miranda's bat is quite heavy and she carries it around everywhere-, I think the class that fits her the most is the Bandit. From what I gather reading the page from the OP, they are less subtle Rogues, so they just break stuff instead of being stealthy (ability Miranda has but hasn't used since arriving to Hoenn). The Beastmaster Ranger is also a fitting class for her, since I like the idea that she'll join her pokémon when fighting something else.
    Maritza would be a Scholar/Librarian. Her strongest suit is her knowledge about pokémon, so if she were in an RPG then she'll probably be that one support unit capable of scanning an enemy's weakness, probably with some extra information to form a bestiary you might need if you want to 100% the game. Will she be able to evolve into something else than a support class? Probably, she's not even close to that yet, though.

Speaking of Scholars, Bruno could be one too. At this moment he's in the same spot as Maritza in that he can't really do anything else other than being really smart, with the difference that he can do battle strategy as well, so a Warlord class might fit him as well. Regardless, for the HS1 cast, they know well that he's definitely taking a turn into a Beastmaster.

Debbie is a Pirate I don't think I have to explain that one.

EDIT: Miranda actually smacked a few Aron with her bat when she was stuck in Granite Cave with her other pokémon, so the Beastmaster Ranger class fits.

Last edited:
    Years
  • June from HS1 is a scholar without question, with how analytical she is about Pokemon. If she was in an actual fantasy setting though she'd be nothing more than a support character because the idea of hurting anyone or anything with her own strength would make her feel terrible and she's very weak physically anyways so she'd be squished like a bug. Pun absolutely intended. Perhaps when she grows up she could be a Warlord but that's a ways off.

Gwen from Trainers is probably a fighter of some type, perhaps a Warrior because of how headstrong and arrogant she is. But a Beast Master Ranger is also fitting because of her whole connection with her Pokemon and whatnot.

Years
  • I feel like saying Summoner for Catherine would be cheating, so instead I'm going to throw out something like a black mage. It's easy to see her as being some sort of glass cannon int-based nuke. If I were to pick a d&d class instead, I might say Druid instead because of all the weather/environmental fuckery in her battle strats.

Prim would be a monk. She punch.

Milo would be an NPC merchant lmao

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
    Years
  • Pia would be a Illusionist as we constantly joked throughout Spear that she was kind of like a sorceress. She was tactfully able and it the latest contest posts she'd turn the stage to things of her own imagination using the attacks of her pokémon. The last contest post was a stage of clouds. I guess as for DnD classes, she'd be a divine soul sorceress.

Faye would be a bladesinging Wizard. No doubt about it. Either that or the class I choose for her alter ego in GP's campaign which is a draconic sorceress because of her dragon scales and the terrifying power she's able to emit though her alter ego's personality is much colder than her own. This also immediately my entry for Elizabeth "Liz" lol.

Kiara from the Star Wars 5e Campaign is 100% a paladin. She's a Jedi that uses paladin abilities and was taught in the way of the force since a young age. She has the paladin aura... it's literally the only thing I can think of her being. She doesn't fight with a shield but she does fight with a double bladed lightsaber. Her Paladin equivalent would have a two handed great sword in that case. She's incredibly strong for her posture.

Nyria is a monk. Idk man. That's just what she is x'D She punches, she loves punching, she loves fighting and battling. In the campaign she is in, she's an Ascendant dragon Monk. She's of the Au'ra race from the FFXIV 5e doc. The Ascendant dragon subclass was perfect because in the world she plays, her race is descendant from dragons according to their lore. She quite literally channels the powers of her ancestors in her fists. It's cool c:

Aerin is a bard and will always be a bard. She's a glamour bard that loves flirting and is quite good at charming others, with or without her abilities. She's supposed to be this insanely beautiful elf. She also loves music and plays her instruments incredibly well. As in... even if I threw a nat 1, the only reason she'd fail at the check is because a nat 1 is an automatic fail but she has a +10 on her modifier I believe. (Checks as in, usually anything above 10 is not terrible but 11 is still not great.)

Years
  • Prim would be a monk. She punch.

Going to amend this by going full d&d. Prim does indeed punch, but monks are Dex-based primarily and while Prim is agile as hell, she is more defined by being unnaturally physically strong for her build. So a Fighter with the unarmed fighting Fighting Style, a Strength build, makes more sense.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok so...

• Arianne: she gives me Spell Fencer / Rune Knight vibes and I don't even know why. Perhaps it was that Honedge incident ;)
    • Avril: some people mentioned Scholar and that fits pretty well with her, I think. But your typical White Mage role would be even better given, at least for current her~
    • Courtney: Black Mage. Fire everywhere turn 1. Easy enough!
    • Hikaru: they could be either your stereotypical Red Mage cool guy, or some variations of a Rogue (Scout usually). Their battle style? That would actually be more of an Engineer / Mech of some sort, they like strange Pokémon after all.
    • Rayen: she was part of a Final Fantasy roleplay so I don't even have to guess or pretend! She's a Ranger through and through~
    And this is the ones that were easy enough to pick and that I've played for a bit~ I've been definitely spending some time overthinking (emphasis on the over) about all the possibilities for my characters but given that I was just not getting any post out, I just decided to wing it here and see if anyone can give me better pointers or maybe agree with me hehe :woop:

Years
  • I think any character from a Pokémon RP would be a summoner.

Ha ha, okay for real...

From Hoenn Square One: Edison is fascinated by Pokémon techniques and wants to see as many as possible and find out how to use them outside of battles. In FF, he'd be a Blue Mage. In D&D, an Artificer.
    Also from S1: Natsuko is just traveling along, picking up new friends and new skills as she goes. Total Bard energy.
    One more S1 friend: Sunny is a Black Mage. Girl loves fire. In D&D, I'd call her a Sorcerer, maybe with a dip into Monk or Fighter.

In Trainers: Vera has two styles, weaken the foe with status moves and hit them really hard. She's also rocking the witch aesthetic lately, so I think she's definitely a mage of some kind. We'll call her a FF Red Mage or a D&D Warlock.

Guilds of Atria: Elidyr is hard to classify. They're a mage, but most of their spells are buff spells that only target themself, and in combat they mostly punch or breathe fire. Gonna go with FF Monk. Probably also go Monk in D&D, maybe splash in some Cleric.

Honorable Mention: Cho from FFA was literally a White Mage. A Life Domain Cleric. Just a big ol' tanky boi with heals and buffs.

Another Honorable Mention: Krusk from Star Wars 5e is the equivalent of a Barbarian with some Bard levels and a few Warlock spells.

Years
  • Guilds of Atria: Elidyr is hard to classify. They're a mage, but most of their spells are buff spells that only target themself, and in combat they mostly punch or breathe fire. Gonna go with FF Monk. Probably also go Monk in D&D, maybe splash in some Cleric.

Ascendant Dragon Monk would make a lot of sense for Eli given his magic in Atria.

Back