• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Blue or Yellow?

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    anyway you know how each Gen has a master version gold and silver master version: crystal. ruby and sapphire master version: emerold.ect

so what is the master version for green and red. blue or yellow? is yellow just a side game like fire red or leaf green?

Fredu999

Pro Drummer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    I think it's Yellow because Green was the first game. Then came Red and Blue. If you have played Green, you will notice the difference. Yellow is exactly like these games but with some improvements.

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    but were im confuzed is that blue is actually improved from red and green better sound fixed glitches and some re arranged dungeons but yellow is a "special edition" and because B is improved from R and G it should be the master version and Yshould be a side game

Sackferth

Fonetics Phanatic
    Years
    I guess it is possible that yellow is the side game,
    but the further improvements made in it could also make it the master.
    Like how in yellow the game makers realized Charizard had wings
    and they let him learn Fly when he couldn't in r/b/g.

So i didn't really provide any help did I?:nervous:

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    It depends, I guess.

I consider Yellow to be the third, personally.
    Green always seemed like more of a prototype than an actual part of the gen, especially since it was never released outside of Japan.

But, if you take Bulbapedia's word for it:
    "Much as would become standard, Red and Green were later joined by third version Blue, which slightly improved upon their features, and eventually Pocket Monsters Pikachu, a fourth version based on the Pokémon anime."
    Then Blue could be considered as a master version, with Yellow being a kind of bonus.
    (Main point of the quote in italics, because I wasn't sure the reason for the quote was clear. x-x )

Really though, I guess you could say that the first gen kind of didn't conform to the formulas they have now, since it was all just kind of a big experiment at the time.

Guosuto-chan

Identified by SILPH SCOPE
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2009
    Yellow is the Master Version in this case. Green is...a special case. In Japan, Green and Red were released with Yellow as the Master Version after the popularity of the show. Green was never released in America, instead it was replaced with Blue, which was just like Red, except for certain Pokemon couldn't be caught. Yellow is the Master Version in America as well.

Years
    Prepare to be confused--(note: i could be completely wrong, but i'm pretty sure i'm right)-----
    Ok, first, in Japan, Green (well, Green to us Europeans and Americans, Blue to the Japanese) was released. It was not released anywhere else. Green (jap: Blue) had more complex caves and routes, terrible graphics and all 150 Pokemon available in the one game.
    Next came Red and Blue (Blue being called Green in Japan). These were released worldwide, with improved graphics, less complex caves and routes, and required people to buy both versions/trade if they wanted to get all 150 Pokemon.
    Next came Yellow version, which was also released worldwide. It was as all 3rd sister games are- slightly different events, different Pokemon Locations etc.
    In a slightly complicated conclusion, Yellow is the ''master game''- Green (jap: Blue) was kinda forgotten, because of the flaws, so the ''true'' trilogy for Europe and America are Red, Blue and Yellow (RBY), and the ''true'' trilogy in Japan is Red, Green and Yellow (RGY), the only difference between the two trilogies being the names (Green->Blue).
    Hopefully i'm clear here.
    (Also, hopefully i'm right...).

Back