• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Boot Priority... aargh!

Years
    I installed Ubuntu on my laptop on a seperate partition; formatted with ext3.

Is there any way to make Windows 7 (shows as Windows Vista in boot screen) first boot priority through windows?

I dont want to do it through ubuntu as it requires use of terminal and atm i'm not that good with it.

Last edited:
    Years
    You might have to do it through Ubuntu, because it think it's the only thing that can see GRUB.

I'll edit with details.

Okay, you only need to type in one line in terminal to allow admin access to the config file.

READ THE ENTIRE PAGE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. If you don't feel like you can do it, don't. Ask on the Ubuntu Forums and they can guide you through it. Here you go:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/ChangeDefaultOS

Remember - read it all first.

Last edited:

alienXL

White Raikou Master!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2019
    Probelm...

Erm i had this problem but on my mac... so i can only help if your on a mac (which i hope you are if you have partitioned your drive)

Well if you are on a mac or anyone else that is on a mac has had this problem then...

Power up the machine... BUT after pressing the button in HOLD the option key ("Alt") and then after a little time it should allow you to select which drive you want to boot from... click Mac!
    >
    Next after booting into Mac OS, click the apple sign top left corner -> system preferences.

On this page under the "Hardware" tab look for the "startup disk" icon and then after clicking that you will normally see just two drives... but in your case you would have three. Just click the one you want to boot into and then click the restart button.

And your done! Hope this helps you as i know its very fustrating!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Erm i had this problem but on my mac... so i can only help if your on a mac (which i hope you are if you have partitioned your drive)

Well if you are on a mac or anyone else that is on a mac has had this problem then...

Power up the machine... BUT after pressing the button in HOLD the option key ("Alt") and then after a little time it should allow you to select which drive you want to boot from... click Mac!
    >
    Next after booting into Mac OS, click the apple sign top left corner -> system preferences.

On this page under the "Hardware" tab look for the "startup disk" icon and then after clicking that you will normally see just two drives... but in your case you would have three. Just click the one you want to boot into and then click the restart button.

He didn't mention boot camp. My guess is he's using GRUB. Archer's solution should work.

alienXL

White Raikou Master!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2019
    Sorry

Oh yeah XD

Oops... well i hope it will help someone else then!

Yeah ive heard of that. Never used it but im sure if you can get into settings then it will be there.

Years

>

He mentioned setting Windows 7 to the top priority, so I really doubt he's got a Mac, as most Mac users are going to stick with OSX.

if your on a mac (which i hope you are if you have partitioned your drive)
    I still don't quite get what you mean here. You can partition any HDD. You've tried, though, so it should be a great reference in the future.

Zet

Years
    Solution: DON'T INSTALL LINUX

once you have GRUB, have a fun annoying experience trying to fix. Also use EasyBCD to change what boots first and such. But install EasyBCD on windows, it makes things much more easier

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Solution: DON'T INSTALL LINUX
    Hey, wait a minute. That's not a solution.

once you have GRUB, have a fun annoying experience trying to fix. Also use EasyBCD to change what boots first and such. But install EasyBCD on windows, it makes things much more easier
    Are you kidding? GRUB is easy as cake to work with. The first time I had to deal with it, I remember saying to myself "why aren't the Windows bootloaders this easy?" BCD is a pain in the neck to work with (EasyBCD helps, but without it you're pretty much screwed), and the pre-Vista bootloader was even worse. I always install GRUB over the crappy Windows bootloader; it makes things so much easier.

Zet

Years
    Not if you remove linux, you'll get crazy messages saying "GRUB NOT FOUND" and other stuff(I can't really remember since this was a few years ago)

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    What kind of fail idea is it to install Windows AFTER Linux?

Geeze, welcome to the world of engineering of problem solving.

I only have a lazy and that is to back-up your Ubuntu system, boot from the Windows 7 CD, format the whole disk, then create a partition for you to re-install Ubuntu and we all live happily ever after. Now where is my cookie?

Back