• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Break-up Songs ;_;

Pudz

Incredible Edible Vegetarian
Years
  • What songs do you find yourself listening to when coming out of a messy relationship? Are there different ones for when you end it, and when they end it? Obviously this isn't a list and be done post, we wanna know your reasons for the song. Does it remind you of them? Does it make you hopeful you'll find someone else? Does it jus' make you cry and it's nice to cry about something other than what might of been?

Lyrics excerpts are fine, but probably better if we avoid posting entire songs. Just that one part, that perfect phrasing that eases your melancholy ~ or that exacerbates it!

Mine are Space Dye Vest by Dream Theater. The particular lyrics that I adore are...

There's no one to take my blame
    if they wanted to
    There's nothing to keep me sane
    and it's all the same to you
    There's nowhere to set my aim
    so I'm everywhere
    Never come near me again
    do you really think I need you

I'll never be open again, I could never be open again.
    I'll never be open again, I could never be open again.

And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend
    And I'll never be open again
    And I'll have no more dreams to defend
    And I'll never be open again

Because... well... it's about moving on and knowing what it'll do to you; about feeling as though things can never be the way they were before it all went wrong. That you risked yourself, and you'll never be able to again. I adore it, because the song is very moody, very low toned, and is mostly piano and vocals.

My second is ...and all that could have been by Nine Inch Nails. The verse I adore in this case is..

Please
    Take this
    And run far away
    Far as you can see
    I am
    Tainted
    And happiness and peace of mind
    Were never meant for me
    All these
    Pieces
    And promises and left behinds
    If only I could see
    In my
    Nothing
    You meant everything
    Everything to me

It's a song about longing. About doing something wrong and knowing what might have been if you hadn't done that one thing that changed everything. It's about wishing things were different, that you'd taken a different path, that you'd made a better choice. This one is particularly poignant to my most recent relationship, where it was my own choices that broke things down.

Finally, my last entry is Someday, You will be loved by Death Cab for Cutie. The lyrics in this case that I connect with are..

You may feel alone when you're falling asleep
    And every time tears roll down your cheeks
    But I know your heart belongs to someone you've yet to meet
    Someday you will be loved

You'll be loved you'll be loved
    Like you never have known
    The memories of me
    Will seem more like bad dreams
    Just a series of blurs
    Like I never occurred
    Someday you will be loved

This one is from the perspective of the person doing the breaking up. It's kinda encouraging, you know? I listen to this when I'm at the end of it all and it helps me know that it doesn't matter how much I adored that person; I'll likely adore someone else just as much ~ or maybe more.

So, that's my start!
    Your turn!

TardisHobo

piranhapunk
    Years
  • I've never been in a relationship, but the best break-up song I know is
    You Don't Love Me Anymore by "Weird Al" Yankovic. Yup. Now you know why I've never been in a relationship. :'D

Back