• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Breeding questions and information!

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2019
    Hello all,

I'll go ahead and jump straight into it, I'm new to breeding and I am slowly learning the in's and out's of the craft. It's been a part of the game for quite sometime and I've always over looked this feature when playing through the series. I've watched a few detailed guides on the subject of breeding and seem to have basics down pat, but I'm still left with a few questions that I haven't been able to find an answer to. My questions in regarding to breeding are, is there any point to breeding if you don't plan to play competitively? Are there groups of people who solely focus on breeding to help competitive players? Does breeding come with any rewards?

I appreciate the help in advance! Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2022
    A lot of breeding tends to be competitively focused, yes, but there are definitely other reasons to want to breed. In SwSh specifically, you tend to catch a lot of evolved Pokemon in the Wild Area, so getting the base forms to complete your Pokedex is often achieved fastest by breeding. Breeding also is super helpful in getting certain abilities, certain egg moves, etc. And, probably most notably, outside of breeding competitive 'mons, is breeding for a shiny Pokemon using the Masuda Method.

There aren't really rewards, unless you count finally getting that sweet, sweet shiny or 6IV Pokemon you've been after haha

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2019
    Awesome! Thank you so much for the information I greatly appreciate it!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'll note also that some Pokemon nigh require breeding to be obtained - while some 'baby' Pokemon can be found in the wild, such as Bonsly, others like Cleffa cannot be caught in the wild. It can be a raid boss, but it might be easier to just breed in that case.

Back