• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen breeding, what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    Ok im trying to breed a talonflame. I am using flechinder and fletchlings. I have bred a few now I have a fletchling I attached with destiny knot that has flawless sp def. The other fletchinder I attached with power anklet. The following 3 eggs had neither sp def or speed perfect. Someone tell me what im doing wrong

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2015
    I am no expert, but could the destiny knot override it? As in, the baby took on the traits of the destiny knot's speed, not the anklet? I suggest not using the destiny knot until you have a few more perfect IVs.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    The one with destiny knot has sp def perfect. The other has anklet for speed. Assuming everything I have read is correct the baby should have max speed regardless right?

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    The pokemon that has the power item passes the IV related to the item to the baby. If the Flechinder for example has 21 Speed IVs, that's the exact Speed IVs that will pass to the baby every time.

If you want to pass 31 Speed IVs to a Flechling using the Power Anklet then you need to have a parent with 31 Speed IVs and attach the Power Anklet to that parent.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    Ok so basically I have to keep moving to anklet until its perfect? What about destiny knot is that just a chance itll pass?

Years
  • IIRC, when you use two power items, you get a chance to get either one of the IVs not both. Now the destiny knot can chooseandomly which 5 ivs to pass. Maybe using a destiny knot and a power item works the same way. The babys have randomly gotten the 5 ivs except sp def from one and the powrr item didnt act.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    Nvm I got the power item stuff lol so basically its random getting 31 iv to a baby I still domt get destiny knot then

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    If you use a Destiny Knot it transfers over 5 Random stats from the parents. You can have perfect IVs in both and get none of them while using the Destiny Knot as I don't believe it pulls the highest stat.

I believe that the Destiny Knot may also override the Power Item since it pulls 5 IVs and can pull from the same IV as the Power item.

Years
  • The pokemon that has the power item passes the IV related to the item to the baby. If the Flechinder for example has 21 Speed IVs, that's the exact Speed IVs that will pass to the baby every time.

If you want to pass 31 Speed IVs to a Flechling using the Power Anklet then you need to have a parent with 31 Speed IVs and attach the Power Anklet to that parent.

As he said, try to get a poke with 31 iv in speed, then give it the power item, then breed. It will still depend on chance thou, as the 5ivs the destiny knot passes are chosen randomly. IDK if for example the destiny knot chooses to pass that parent speed iv, if destiny knot will have priority over power item or viceversa. Or maybe it works only choosing one item from a parent as it was in Gen V.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • No parent should have two IV passing items when breeding as both items will cancel each other out and gives a 50/50 chance of one of those items taking effect on the offspring. This also applies when both parents carry a different Power item to each other.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    I think I get the jist of it I need perfect stats to begin with then use power items first then detiny knot the more I have man thats gonna be a pain lol

Snoochey

Advanced Trader
    Years
  • From my understanding, you only want to use a Destiny Knot when your pokémon are around 4IVs? I'm very new to breeding and my first pokémon I'm trying for 6 IVs on started with 4, so I'm unsure about the getting there part.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • Alright, breeding now is like a game of Yahtzee.

Destiny knot will cause five IVs, selected at random from a random parent, to be inherited. It does not override the power items entirely. If one of the five inherited IVs are the power item's stat then that will come from the parent holding it, when mixed with a destiny knot. However, it does not guarantee that the stat will be inherited with the destiny knot.

Also, with only 3 eggs you have a very low chance of getting what you want. Try at least 10 eggs, 20 will almost guarantee you will find one that you want. A few tips:

1. Do breeding "chains," track the male and female stats that are maxed and try to make them different even if one only has a couple maxed stats as a result. This will save you some time in the long run.

2. Do not be afraid to crossbreed. Find a compatible pokemon with a maxed stat that you are looking for, use the power item on that and the destiny knot on the other. The problem is that you will likely only be able to replace the female with this, so that limits your options.

3. Don't worry about natures right away, you have plenty of time to consider those.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • what is the overall potential of the Flechinder and the Flechling? I ask because the IV transfers will not work if they both have a low overall potential.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back