• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bringing stall back by popular demands

genesis42

King of kings
    Years
    Well, I'm trying to revitalize the stall gen by bringing back my old SS stall team back to life from the D/P metagame. I know it's heavily outdated so that's why I'm posting it here. Hopefully you guys can help me patch up the glaring weaknesses. Without further ado, let's begin.

! ! MY TEAM ! !

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
    Sand Stream
    Impish - 252 Hp, 156 Def, 100 Sp. Def
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Slack Off
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Ice Fang

Set up Rocks and begins the Sandstorm, counters Physical dragons with Ice Fang and EQ for STAB. Sp. Def Evs were invested so it can take some specific special hits.

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Timid - 184 Hp, 216 Spd, 108 Sp. Atk
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Recover
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Beam

Takes care of my MixApe weakness and can revenge Salamences, Spins opposing entry hazards away, pretty much standard. Lack of Thunderbolt really hurts as this guy becomes set up fodder for Gyara once my opponent finds out I have no lack Electric attacks.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
    Levitate
    Bold - 252 Hp, 40 Def, 216 Spd
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Shadow Ball
    ~ Overheat
    ~ Trick

Good bye Gengar and hello another Ghost w/ Levitate + more bulkier stats =] . Deals with Lucario, Scizor and Tauntrados/DDGyar who are all major threats to my team. After heavy consideration, I finally decided to add Trick in place of Reflect because I really needed a sponge for enemy Trickers.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
    Keen Eye
    Impish - 252 Hp, 16 Atk, 200 Def, 40 Sp. Def
    ~ Spikes
    ~ Roost
    ~ Brave Bird
    ~ Whirlwind

Sadly.. the thing with this guy is that I find myself using BB more regularly than I should be using Spiking/Whirlwinding, so if anyones got a different EV spread (with more attack but while still being able to take hits exceptionally well), please recommend it. Anyways, you should know what this guy does....

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Calm - 252 Def, 80 Sp. Atk, 176 Sp. Def
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Wish
    ~ Protect
    ~ Flamethrower

What use to be Shuckle is now this. I noticed all Shuckle did was sit there acting as set-up bait for the likes of Scizor/Lucario so it desperately needed to go. But anyways, Bliss Toxics opponents for some more stalling damage and passes Wishes around to my Rotom-H which really needed it. This Bliss set only gets walled by Heatran which can't do anything barring Explosion and Empoleon to an extent.

Celebi @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Bold - 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Atk
    ~ Grass Knot
    ~ Perish Song
    ~ Recover
    ~ Leech Seed

Really shaky Gyara back up counter, Leech Seed can force switches and adds to the residual damage. Perish Song for Baton Pass chains and for the last poke Curselax and CMCunes.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    The amount of variations of this team ive seen over the past like month is amazing lol

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
    Sand Stream
    Impish - 252 hp / 152 def / 100 sp.def
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Slack Off
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Ice Fang

Use Ice Fang for DDMence and Flygon and give it some sp.def evs or you die to Ice Beam tar in addition to the >9000 other things that owns stall these days.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Liquid Ooze
    Calm - 204 hp / 108 def / 24 sp.att / 172 sp.def
    ~ Surf
    ~ Toxic Spikes
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Ice beam

Hi Mixmence weak lol and give this some def evs, to cushion CC from Mixape and Mix Agility Lucario.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    Timid - 252 Hp/70 def / 188 speed
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Shadow Ball
    ~ Overheat
    ~ Reflect

Use this to outpace Lucario and use reflect as will-o-wisp just conflicts with Toxic Spikes, stops pursuit too.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
    Keen Eye
    Impish - 252 Hp, 16 att / 200 def / 40 sp.def
    ~ Spikes
    ~ Roost
    ~ Brave Bird
    ~ Whirlwind

lol Taunt lol. Use Whirlwind, it is and always will be better than Taunt on Skarmory especially since you are Curselax etc weak otherwise =/. Use Shed Shell, Magnezone removing your PHazer, Spiker AND Outrage block is one of the worst things to happen to stall. With that few def evs it aint gonna be lasting long.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Calm - 252 Def, 80 Sp. Atk, 176 Sp. Def
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Wish
    ~ Protect
    ~ Flamethrower

Empoleon, Sub Tran weak blissey, but sure xp.

Celebi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Bold - 252 Hp, 6 Spd. 252 Def
    ~ Perish Song
    ~ Grass Knot
    ~ Recover
    ~ Heal Bell

Yeah that was an awful set lol.

U -Turn is horrific on Celebi. Def evs + Grass Knot for Gyarados and use Perish Song for last poke Curselax and CM Cunes , in addition of screwing up Ingran Baton Pass Chains..which again, is yet another thing that owns stall.

Id watch out for the new Mixape variant if i were you

Infernape@Life Orb
    172 Atk / 144 Sp.Att / 192 Speed
    Naive nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Thunderpunch / Stone Edge
    - Grass Knot
    - Close Combat

Kinda 6-0's you when played well =x. Thunderpunch OHKO's Tenta with pretty much any resisual damage, whilst stone edge 2hko's.

You CAN revenge it will a full health hippow only if you give it S.Def evs, but the amount of damage it takes will just make you CB Tar weak since its crippled to the point of useless-ness. (Does ~80%)

Rotom gets 2hko'd by fire blast too so if that it above 70% you could revenge it with that.

But yeah, just be careful of it.

Last edited:

genesis42

King of kings
    Years
    Thanks for all of that D_A haha, my team really needed that makeover, but I was wondering.. since I lack a Trick absorber, couldn't I shove Trick somewhere on Rotom-H? not only will that help out with my Trick problem, but it'd also help me deal with that Nape you suggested that utterly destroys my entire team.

Years
    For a trick absorber, Tentacruel could do a sub-par job of it (with the other guy picking up black sludge) but I don't think anyone would trick it, and if they did Tentacruel can't do much with a choice scarf anyway.
    So, just my two cents.

Syaoran

most likely hates your guts
    Years
    So this is basically Vance's stall team.. lol.

Using it myself I had to change some stuff / pokemon because they pretty much sucked. One of them is Tentacruel, which doesn't do much besides countering mixape. Starmie is better for that job because of the speed, Recover and Natural Cure. Toxic Spikes is overrated especially with most of the top 10 rofl'ing at it, and besides, Blissey with Toxic is good enough. Heal Bell isn't really needed because your pokemon shouldn't care about status at all, especially with Natural Cure everywhere. Leech Seed is definitely better for causing more switches, while I personally switched Perish Song as well in favor of Earth Power, which seems a lot more useful.

genesis42

King of kings
    Years
    Trick Rotom-h would alleviate a couple of your problems actually. It seems like a good choice, over Reflect. It takes opposing Trick users and scares away DD Gyarados.

Ok, I'm still debating whether or not I'm gonna stick Trick on Rotom-H and change it to a Scarf set. If I do change it to a Scarf set, I'll have another insurance against DDGyara like you said which would be nice.

For a trick absorber, Tentacruel could do a sub-par job of it (with the other guy picking up black sludge) but I don't think anyone would trick it, and if they did Tentacruel can't do much with a choice scarf anyway.
    So, just my two cents.

Yeah, but the thing is if Tenta gets Tricked, I'll have the problem of worrying about one of my walls getting a Black Sludge tricked to them so I'm thinking Starmie > Tentacruel here since Starmie does a pretty damn good job of getting rid of Mixnape as well.

So this is basically Vance's stall team.. lol.

Using it myself I had to change some stuff / pokemon because they pretty much sucked. One of them is Tentacruel, which doesn't do much besides countering mixape. Starmie is better for that job because of the speed, Recover and Natural Cure. Toxic Spikes is overrated especially with most of the top 10 rofl'ing at it, and besides, Blissey with Toxic is good enough. Heal Bell isn't really needed because your pokemon shouldn't care about status at all, especially with Natural Cure everywhere. Leech Seed is definitely better for causing more switches, while I personally switched Perish Song as well in favor of Earth Power, which seems a lot more useful.

Firstly.. just incase anyone tries accusing me of stealing teams, I havn't k, made this team from scratch.

And yeah, I've noticed Tentacruel dies a lot faster than it should with my Blissey being the only reliable form of recovery for him so I'm gonna try Starmie out in place of Tenta as my Rapid Spinner and see how it goes. Since Starmies in my team now, I guess I can drop Heal Bell for Leech Seed on Celebi cause I have 3 pokemon w/ Natural Cure. I havn't tried this updated team out yet so I'm not too sure about swapping Perish Song for something, I'll try it out and see what I think, but note that your Earth Power suggestion will be taken into consideration. Once again, thanks for the replies

Back