• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen BUG CATCHING

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
  • Does anyone here truly enjoy the Pokemon Bug Catching Contest?

What is your opinion about it?

What was your best capture

Do you go every time they offer it?

I'll start:

Does anyone here truly enjoy the Pokemon Bug Catching Contest?
    I do sometimes, it depends on my mood

What is your opinion about it?
    my opinion towards it is that sometimes it can be quite unfair

What was your best capture
    A Shiny Weedle (however I did not win -_-")

Do you go every time they offer it?
    no, I usually go once a week

:t354:TG

Years
  • The bug catching contest was really fun, I always played to win and entered at any time I could. For some reason, I always thought you could catch some super rare bug [well, rare for the contest], though, like a Venomoth or Parasect and then you'd auto win, but eventually I accepted that you never could. I always hated Cooltrainer Nick, if that's what his name was, because he always won. My best capture was a strong Scyther, I believe, around Lv. 15, but I have long since played Crystal, so my recollection of it is a bit foggy.

smithtism

Blank
    Years
  • Honestly, I used to be super psyched about the BCC, but after winning and losing so much I only ever play for Dex entries. My best catch was a Pinsir that was lvl 14. I don't enter very much anymore, though I might if I start my SS game over.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I remember catching a L20 Weedle during the bug catching contest, and won 2nd place. (I was mind-blown that there was more than just a L20 Weedle out there. lol). I find the bug catching contests pretty fun. The pokemon featured are pretty powerful, and diverse.

No, I don't go there every time they offer it. I usually forget about it. xD

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
    Years
  • Sometimes.I just like it because of Scyther/Pinsir

I think it's like Safari Zone infested with bugz and only one can be caught

A Scyther on my old Gold copy

Nowadays I hardly go because I haven't been playing too much

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't particularly enjoy it, because I always lose. Usually when I go, it's only when I just so happen to be going through that area and notice it's a Bug Catching Day, and I'll attempt, just to see if I can win. Sometimes I enter for the hell of it, without the intention of winning, and...end up winning. :| Best catch was probably...Venonat, just cause it won for me. idk how, but it did. lol

Years
  • That thing is so rigged. I've heard stories of Shiny Pinsers losing to Kakunas.

It's cool for what it is, I played it a lot in GSC. I'm glad that Game Freak added Pokemon from Hoenn and Sinnoh in HGSS, but they could've given us online Bug Catching competitions as well.

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    Hahaha, I loved the bug catching contests. I haven't played since Crystal though, I didn't get to play SS much.

I didn't do anything competitive at all at the time either, so I was really psyched whenever I'd get a beedril, butterfree or scyther/pinsir, just because I like 'em.

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    I just liked being able to capture pokemon like scyther or pinser, was never really in it to win it ha

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It was okay. Wasn't nearly as infuriating as the Safari Zone since you could actually battle Pokemon before capturing them. But I just did it to win the Sun Stone prize and fill in my Pokedex; I never ended up using the bugs I caught on my team. And once I had collected every species that showed up during the Contest, I really didn't have any reason to return to it.

Years
  • I love the bug catching contest xD I think it's pretty fun, and you can get some pretty good pokemon, like Scyther. I played whenever I could, and won a couple :3

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2017
    As fun as the bug catching competitions were, I did it mainly for the Sun Stone and Pinsir (awesome Pokemon). It was certainly unique, though, and it was far less frustrating than the Safari Zone, even though the judging can be quite stupid.

Years
  • My Crystal's internal battery has been dead for four years. I will answer each question twice: once for my Crystal when my file was still there, and once for my SoulSilver.

Kind of. It was a different time.
    Not really. The place just doesn't seem as magical with the semi-3D graphics where you can see almost the whole park.

It seemed kind of arbitrary. When I played, it was with blissful ignorance of the logic.
    It makes sense. I just don't really care anymore, since it can't hold a candle to most of the Safari Zones.

Butterfree, lv. 28.
    Scyther, lv. 29 (now Scizor, lv. 100).

Usually.
    Once a month, and that's a liberal estimate.

Back