• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

//build/ 2014

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Microsoft's //build/ event is now happening, and it's where Microsoft announces big things for Windows and stuff. ;)

Livestream

#moreLumia liveblogs:
    Windows Phone Central

Day 1 liveblogs:
    Engadget
    Ars Technica
    Windows Phone Central

Day 2 liveblogs:
    Ars Technica

Build isn't just one day long, by the way - the event spans several days. It's a good idea to keep track of the main sites of the above live blogs for other things coming your way.

Nokia also has their own little event, which should be starting today, too, after Microsoft's stuff.

You can always watch the stuff live if you want to.]]

Last edited:

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • Build is so awesome so far! Windows Phone 8.1 turns out to be all we wished for this update to bring. Cortana, notification center, more live tiles features, oh and did I mention Cortana? :)

As for the update to Windows 8.1, This one really brings some awesome stuff that will make it far more useful for mouse and keyboard desktop computers!

Also, Cortana :)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Screen%20Shot%202014-04-02%20at%2012.41.16%20PM.png

About time. Future Windows 8.1 update.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Apparently you can already get the update files. I might try getting them ahead of the update day so I don't have to wait for them to download on the official release 6 days from now.

This update is the one with minor tweaks - the update with the Start menu comes later.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Blalksjflashjfkjahsf;kajsfjlsfh

Not gonna lie I miss my start menu. I'm on a touch screen, but having a start menu would be so much nicer.

It even has an "All Apps" and the Shut Down button, in text! The search bar is also there. Many things are at the places you'd expect in the Windows 7 Start menu.

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    I very rarely ever use the start menu to be honest. Almost everything I use is in my task bar and I just Windows + R everything else. But that's a pretty nice way of developing the start menu and it's a nice hybrid between the start screen (which I already kind of liked) and the desktop screen.

Nice to see they're rethinking the desktop approach though and I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming for future-MS.

Edit: missed it the first time, but is that a metro Outlook running in windowed mode? If they do that with a lot of the other apps (browsers, media players etc) I will be so damn hyped.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I very rarely ever use the start menu to be honest. Almost everything I use is in my task bar and I just Windows + R everything else. But that's a pretty nice way of developing the start menu and it's a nice hybrid between the start screen (which I already kind of liked) and the desktop screen.

Nice to see they're rethinking the desktop approach though and I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming for future-MS.

Edit: missed it the first time, but is that a metro Outlook running in windowed mode? If they do that with a lot of the other apps (browsers, media players etc) I will be so damn hyped.

Next update for Windows 8.1. (Not the one coming out this April.)

While we're at it, this still hasn't started.

Years
  • Screen%20Shot%202014-04-02%20at%2012.41.16%20PM.png

That doesn't actually look too bad. The only problem I have with a start menu like that is the apps. I would at least hope you can choose to have a separate menu for those to keep the traditional start menu look from Windows 7.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    That doesn't actually look too bad. The only problem I have with a start menu like that is the apps. I would at least hope you can choose to have a separate menu for those to keep the traditional start menu look from Windows 7.

There is. The image is cropped.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Screen%20Shot%202014-04-02%20at%2012.41.16%20PM.png

tumblr_ml252mhGRm1qedlsro1_250.gif

Start menu looks amazing and the integration of tiles is a great plus for me. I only use a small amount of tiles so will be able to ditch the start screen for something that doesn't get in the way so much. Also windowed Metro apps yess and it's released on Tuesday. Microsoft is actually being amazing.

They also announced two Nokia Lumia devices: the Lumia 930 (High end with 20MP camera and 5 inch screen) and Lumia 630 (budget device which seems to be the first Windows Phone with non-psychical keys).

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • Start menu looks amazing and the integration of tiles is a great plus for me. I only use a small amount of tiles so will be able to ditch the start screen for something that doesn't get in the way so much. Also windowed Metro apps yess and it's released on Tuesday. Microsoft is actually being amazing.

Let me clarify here: What you see on the picture is NOT part of the update that's being released soon! This update to Windows 8.1 will feature various features making Windows easier to navigate for mouse and keyboard users (I'm actually on the beta on this exact computer I'm writing this on, and let me tell you: Metro apps are not nearly as terrible to get into anymore)

What you see in the picture is a concept art! of what will be coming in the next major update codenamed "Threshold" which insiders report to be coming out spring 2015. Announcing these plans are a huge part of Microsoft's new business structure which they have been moving towards since Steve Ballmer announced his departure from the CEO position. Microsoft's new CEO Satya Nadella has ambitious plans for this new "One Microsoft" which include getting rid of all the internal misunderstandings which eventually culminated in the disastrous Windows 8 launch. Windows was in a position where they realized that they needed to innovate to keep their market position. So they ventured out into a realm of the unknown with Windows 8, all the while beiong extremely secretive about this ambitious project. So when they announced Windows 8 at All things D in June 2011, this basically came as a huge surprise to everyone in the industry. Microsoft had learned from it's tremendous failure with Windows Vista not to promise anything at all. Vista had huge ambitions, but failed to deliver, so this time Microsoft didn't want to promise anything before they were able to deliver it. So when Windows 8 was announced, it was basically finished already, and Microsoft felt confident. This confidentiality however, was what eventually made Windows 8 what is has become today.

The new Microsoft, pressured by a Satya Nadella who passionately believes that this company can and will succeed, does everything in their power to not repeat the mistakes made with Windows 8 by the old Microsoft. Therefore they release this concept to actually get feedback. They want to know how the industry reacts to this, and internals have told that they have not yet implemented a single line of code for this. The New Microsoft wants to do what people want them to, and not what internal analysts think we want!

I have faith in the New Microsoft, I believe in the course that Satya Nadella is laying for this company, and I'm excited to see what the future has to bring.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Let me clarify here: What you see on the picture is NOT part of the update that's being released soon! This update to Windows 8.1 will feature various features making Windows easier to navigate for mouse and keyboard users (I'm actually on the beta on this exact computer I'm writing this on, and let me tell you: Metro apps are not nearly as terrible to get into anymore)

What you see in the picture is a concept art! of what will be coming in the next major update codenamed "Threshold" which insiders report to be coming out spring 2015. Announcing these plans are a huge part of Microsoft's new business structure which they have been moving towards since Steve Ballmer announced his departure from the CEO position. Microsoft's new CEO Satya Nadella has ambitious plans for this new "One Microsoft" which include getting rid of all the internal misunderstandings which eventually culminated in the disastrous Windows 8 launch. Windows was in a position where they realized that they needed to innovate to keep their market position. So they ventured out into a realm of the unknown with Windows 8, all the while beiong extremely secretive about this ambitious project. So when they announced Windows 8 at All things D in June 2011, this basically came as a huge surprise to everyone in the industry. Microsoft had learned from it's tremendous failure with Windows Vista not to promise anything at all. Vista had huge ambitions, but failed to deliver, so this time Microsoft didn't want to promise anything before they were able to deliver it. So when Windows 8 was announced, it was basically finished already, and Microsoft felt confident. This confidentiality however, was what eventually made Windows 8 what is has become today.

The new Microsoft, pressured by a Satya Nadella who passionately believes that this company can and will succeed, does everything in their power to not repeat the mistakes made with Windows 8 by the old Microsoft. Therefore they release this concept to actually get feedback. They want to know how the industry reacts to this, and internals have told that they have not yet implemented a single line of code for this. The New Microsoft wants to do what people want them to, and not what internal analysts think we want!

I have faith in the New Microsoft, I believe in the course that Satya Nadella is laying for this company, and I'm excited to see what the future has to bring.

Just remember - it's also a future update to 8.1.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Oh man, so I have to wait a whole year before windowed metro apps? OMG I am so excited for this! I never thought I'd say that for a Microsoft OS but this looks so amazing. ♥

Years
  • Personally, I wish they would release the "new" start menu sooner, as I'm sure it would make a lot of Windows users happier with Microsoft.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022

I'm pretty sure that your getting this confused with Windows 9. This update has already been released to manufacturing (RTM) and is getting released to windows update on the 8th. (source)

Also the update does include the new start bar as well.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure that your getting this confused with Windows 9. This update has already been released to manufacturing (RTM) and is getting released to windows update on the 8th. (source)

Also the update does include the new start bar as well.

It does NOT include the new start menu thing. That's just a concept for what they want to do in the "Threshold" update, be it Windows 9, Windows 8.2, Windows 8.1 update 2, Threshold is scheduled for April 2015 as Paul Thurrott (the guy you also linked as your source, brilliant guy by the way) writes in a recent post on his blog:

This update which has already had RTM is also the one I'm currently running the beta of right now, and it does not include the new start menu!

Also, to clarify: Microsoft has not directly said that this is part of the Threshold update. It might be coming this fall, it might come next year, and from what I've heard from Paul Thurrott in his podcast, the persons that he knows inside Microsoft don't know when this will come, if it's going to be a part of the Threshold update or if it will come earlier, they don't know, because they haven't even coded it yet.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I'm also running the newest update and I do not have the new start menu. I use Classic Shell anyway and that integrates beautifully with 8.1. Give it a try! It's free.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I'm also running the newest update and I do not have the new start menu. I use Classic Shell anyway and that integrates beautifully with 8.1. Give it a try! It's free.

I tried Classic Shell, and it's awesome! still looking forward to the concept art thing, but this will do until then! What setup do you use in terms of skins and style? :)

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I tried Classic Shell, and it's awesome! still looking forward to the concept art thing, but this will do until then! What setup do you use in terms of skins and style? :)

I use the Windows 7 style and it works really well. ♥

Back