• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] But if Mew was the first pokemon, and Arceus created all Pokemon...

Boured

The Guildmaster
Years
  • I think that Nintendo just created a giant plot hole lol

The variety does not matter, have you seen the one pokemon movie with Entei kidnapping ash's mom and when Entei was creating the unown were there helping him, thousands of unown.

Yes that may be true but there are are 30 "letter" variations of unown you got it half right

Last edited by a moderator:

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • Since Arceus is the pokemon god he created mew first then the rest. Mew is the ancestor of pokemon because he was the first created by Arceus.

I always wondered this but this quote actually makes sense to me. Without trying to get too much into it, I think this is what I'm personally going with. xD

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Arceus Mew Theory

So, I've been thinking about the contradiction present in Arceus or Mew being the first Pokemon. So, I think I've come up with a theory that satisfies both of the explanations of how Pokemon and their world came to be.

-Arceus is hatched and possibly creates the universe

-Arceus then creates one of two Pokemon groups;
    Either Palkia, Dialga, and possibly Giratina, then Azelf, Uxie, and Mesprit. This is the case if Dialga, Palkia and the lake trio are the creators of space, time, and willpower, knowledge, and emotion.

If they merely control these things, then they more likely came after Mew, because Mew is believed to be ancestor of all Pokemon. So, Mew would be created and used as a basis for all Pokemon, including all Legendaries. So, many Mews are then made.

-The Pokemon world is then either created by Arceus, or is already existing and chosen by Arceus to inhabit the other Pokemon that will soon exist. If it's created, then Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza are also created if they are the reason for land, sea, and ozone.

-Mew is then used as a base for all Pokemon. Therefore, Arceus creates every Pokemon (possibly excluding Legendaries) using each Mew as the "clay" that is molded into every Pokemon, which is possible by it's ability to learn any move of any type. It's type is granted by Arceus changing type and inheriting it to each newly-made Pokemon. All Pokemon are then created.

Therefore, Mew is ancestor to all Pokemon, and Arceus created them all using Mew.

Years
  • Hey there Inkfingers, we've actually got an entire thread dedicated to the discussion on whether Arceus or Mew came first and their roles in the Pokemon universe, so I'm just going to merge this thread over there for you!

MERGED.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    The notion that Arceus created the universe is actually just a Sinnoh myth, it's never said in-game that it's fact. Yes, Arceus is a powerful Pokémon with extraordinary abilities, but the Original One has only been referenced in the Sinnoh-based games and is not ever brought up in other regions (the Sinjoh Ruins being the sole exception).

Diamond:
    It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.

Pearl:
    It is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed.

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
    According to the legends of Sinnoh, this Pokémon emerged from an egg and shaped all there is in this world.

Years
  • I'm going to go against the Arceus grain here and put my chips on Mew as the predecessor. As Chaos Rush just pointed out, all mentions of the magic llama being the Pokemon world's God are solely isolated to Sinnoh's creation myth. Granted, Arceus gives the player a time/space trio egg, but all that proves is that Arceus has the power to do that. We don't know if the egg is from another dimension, an egg which was sent through time, or if Arceus has a secret hoard of legendary eggs laying about.

Mew's dex entries state that it may be the ancestor to all Pokemon, and I'm including Arceus in that bucket. Bear with me with this explanation, as it is just as speculative as everyone else's, but I use the basics points of evolution as my stepping stone instead of terminator time loops or passed down stories through the ages.

The "Mew" species is the first creature to exist that fits under the category of "Pokemon." With its immaculate ability to transform into anything it sees fit, the creature's ability to adapt in any climate or environment it found itself in. The Mew population flourished throughout the world. After generations of staying in a specific locale, the Pokemon lost it's ability to transform at will, creating the first batches of Pokemon with set Types instead of being able to change Type to suit the need. From here, apply the same rules to evolution throughout the ages until we get to the current iterations of Pikachus and caterpies that we all know and love. The legendary Pokemon are merely more powerful versions of the same basic concept that allows Plulse and Minun to exist.

And this is where I'm sure someone will want to point out that "if Mew turned into all the other Pokemon, then why does Mew still exist?" which is the same question of "if humans came from monkeys, then why be there still monkeys?" Well, look no further than our old toothy friend the alligator. Alligators are, for the most part at least, almost identical to their pre-historic counterparts save for a couple differing features and size. I hypothesize that the Mew we know isn't the perfect cookie cutter copy of the original ancestor, but the closest thing genetically in existence to it.

That's what I choose to accept as canon at least.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    I have a question more impressive than that...

If Mewtwo is a result of a lab manipulation of the child of a PREGNANT MEW, who got the gender less, semi-god, become pregnant?

Years
  • I have a question more impressive than that...

If Mewtwo is a result of a lab manipulation of the child of a PREGNANT MEW, who got the gender less, semi-god, become pregnant?

Legendary Pokemon are not genderless, just no one knows how they breed. Clearly these scientists figured it out but kept it a secret.(either just to ensure no one tries to make a Mewtwo army or if you prefer the anime continuity, they all died in fiery explosions.)

Years
  • Maybe Mew is somewhat like Adam AND Eve as one person(pokemon) and Arceus Plays the role of God (the creator) thoughts?

That would require lesser Pokemon to be alreadybe in existance in this metaphorical "Garden of Mewden" prior to the pink furball's creation and Mew would therefore not have any genetic connection to any of them.

Back