• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Buy it? No? Yes?

SirKamyk

Mediocre Trainer/Collector
    Years
    I'm thinking about buying either SoulSilver or HeartGold, but have not made up my mind yet: see, going through Platinum was fair enough, it is my first ever Pokemon game, but won't HG and SS be pretty much the same thing only with a different region, storyline and Pokemon?
    By that I mean catch, train, collect.
    I can't imagine doing that the second time around, it would be so tedious to build up my team again...

dyenguard

Burst of Flame!
    Years
    i would definitly buy it, it is about 30 times better than platinum lol. if you have any friends with DS's than you can trade your pokemon from platinum to HG SS, so you shouldnt have a problem

Years
    Well in the most basic sense, yes its the same formula of catch, train, collect so if thats a hassle for you then idk if buying another pokemon game would be the right choice. However, Soul Silver & Heart Gold really are awesome games. The ones they're based off of (silver & gold for the old gameboy) are the favorites of almost anyone I've ever know whos played pokemon. If it helps when I found out they were doing SS/HG it convinced me to get back into the games =)

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2019
    Contests are gone. Pokeathelon in
    Same Battle Frontier
    2 REgions 16 gyms
    E4 stronger second time.
    Ai and Graphics updated.
    Wifi Events
    Custimized safari zone

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I would say yes, buy it. Most of the Pokemon in Heary Gold are different to the ones in Platinum, so you can experiment with Pokemon you've never used before. Plus, there are two regions, so it should last a little bit longer than Platinum. ;) Personally, I think Soul Silver/Heart Gold are much better than Platinum.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    I found the game worse than Platinum, but given you haven't played through the originals, I'd recommend that you pick a version up. There's not much of a difference between the two at all, so it's not worth picking up both.

Necrø

Paramore <3
    Years
    You've also go the new feature "The Pokewalker" which is just cool :)
    I really think you should get the game although it is similar to Platinum.

Years
    i would definitly buy it, it is about 30 times better than platinum lol. if you have any friends with DS's than you can trade your pokemon from platinum to HG SS, so you shouldnt have a problem

I wouldn't say it's about 30 times better than platinum but graphics wise it's definitely better and also the Pokewalker thing as well is pretty cool

But definitely buy one or the other - but not both.

Years
    I think you should get it. I had to wait a long time to get mine and it was an excruciating time period.

There are quite a few major changes like rogoku mentioned and the Pokemon are mainly different to Pt since it's two completely different regions.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    I put it off for a long while, once I got it I deeply regretted it. Go buy it now.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    It's thousands times better than Platinum. Hopefully you'll like it and see what real Pokemon look like.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
    HG and SS feature the two best regions. No, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Yes, you should definitely get HG/SS. It's worth it.

Years
    the basic catch/train/fight gym leaders thing is the same, yeah. but that is no reason not to get hg/ss. they are very different; different pokemon, totally different map (which does in fact change the whole way the game is played), the 16 gyms exclusive to these games (every other game has 8), the basic FEEL of the games...

it's hard to make the games sound ad good and as different as they really are in writing. you'd need to play to see what I mean.

the best way I can put it: you say you don't want to play basically the same game over again, same pokemon, it's tedious, etc. my response to that would be that you would not want to get games from the same set. meaning like platinum, diamond, and pearl are all in the same set; they're basically the same game with minor differences, with platinum being an upgraded version of the other two, but the same region overall. but hg/ss are a totally different set, having a totally different game experience.

I would definitely say go for hg/ss (not both, they're the same like diamond/pearl/platinum are the same). the johto games are a favorite to a big portion of pokemon fans

Spoiler:

click the spoiler above for a list of the games to maybe understand a little better

:)

You know what strike all that. look at the results of this poll and you'll see why you need to get hg/ss :)
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=231770
    (if you read the first post, don't only read that one)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    HG and SS feature the two best regions. No, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Yes, you should definitely get HG/SS. It's worth it.
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. If you thought Sinnoh Pokemon were good, you'll be blown away by Johto Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    If I were you, I'd go buy HG/SS. The in-game additions, such as walking Pokemon and Gen IV integration, are what make it so popular. Also, the Pokemon there can learn new moves by breeding (such as Power Whip Bulbasaur and Aqua Jet Totodile).

Back