• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Buying D/P or Pt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I was thinking, here in a few days I will have enough to buy D/P or Pt. Now the obvious answer for any of you will probably be Platinum. But is the distortion world really worth 10 extra dollars? Opinions please. (Note: I had Pearl before but sold it along with my DS, but now I'm ready to start anew.)

Also, on team choices:

Piplup -> Empoleon (I've always had an obsession with water Pokemon.)
    Zubat -> Crobat (I had a Crobat in FR/LG and loved it.)
    Shnix -> Luxaray (Needed something to counter my water PKMN.)
    ?
    ?
    Maybe Riolu -> Lucario

Years
    Yes, Platinum. The ten dollars is totally worth it. Heck, I would, and did, pay an extra 20 dollars for it! Longer storyline, new areas, and Battle Frontier. Battle Frontier sold it for me <3

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Platinum. There's extra pokemon available, the wi-fi rooms are better, and you have the battle frontier (Although if you want a good battle frontier, get a GBA and Emerald)

Shiny Shaymin

I laugh at your misfortune.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 22, 2015
    Yeah it's worth 10 extra dollars! The Distortion World isn't the only new feature. There are tons of features: extra Pokemon, Wi-Fi rooms, the Battle Frontier... oh, you can own a 'Villa' in the Resort Area, etc...

Ace~Sasaki

I'm no match for you...
    Years
    Platinum is delicious as hell. Battle Frontier, that Distortion world and more pokemon. yes.

Dragard

Ghoul Soul
    Years
    You guys forgot to mention the Plaza! It's pretty fun, I like the fireworks :) It gives you access to 3 mini-games, but you can only stay at it for a little each day =/

Years
    Yep Platinum is definentley worth an extra ten bucks sooo many new features and the only problem is there is no new starter Pokemon,But that's OK,Platinum is like pearl and diamond joined together.

Rock on Platinum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All right. That what i say!

Years
    I'd definitely pay the extra ten dollars. I'm assuming you're younger because ten dollars seems to mean a lot, so I understand saving it up will be hard, but trust me, you won't regret getting Platinum. A ten-times better plot, heaps more features after you've beaten the league, overall it's just better.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2012
    I bought Platinum today after loosing Diamond, and already I can tell a difference. I recommend it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Ten extra dollars? I could have sworn that at the store where I buy games, all three were the same price. Anyway, get Platinum. The Distortion World alone isn't worth it, but the expanded storyline, rematches with Gym Leaders, and enhanced Wi-fi features are. The Battle Frontier might be too, if you're into that kind of thing.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Platinum is better than both Diamond and Pearl. There are many new features, some entirely new, others made better that include:

• Surfing is now much faster.
    • There are more Pokemon to catch in Platinum alone, making less need for Pal Park and Trading.
    • The Distortion World, which houses Giratina and is really fun to play through.
    • New Pokemon Formes - Shaymin (Sky Forme) and Giratina (Origin Forme)
    • The graphics are a bit better.
    • Updated Storyline. You now have two new characters: The Secret Agent (whose name I cannot recall) and the pink-haired Scientist (whose name I also cannot recall).
    • It's a lot harder than D/P, which IMO, makes it a lot more fun. (I breezed through Diamond in a week. A week.)

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    Platinum, because any problems in the game before were fixed. Also you can now get Sky Shaymin!

And for your team, I actually think that it is quite good, although I think when you get further in the game you should replace your Luxray with something like an Electabuzz.

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I'd definitely pay the extra ten dollars. I'm assuming you're younger because ten dollars seems to mean a lot, so I understand saving it up will be hard, but trust me, you won't regret getting Platinum. A ten-times better plot, heaps more features after you've beaten the league, overall it's just better.
    Na, I'm 14. My parents are just cheapskates though and never give me any money.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Platinum.
    If money is a problem, go to Gamestop or something like that and get a used copy.

Years
    Well, if money is such an issue, maybe you should get eith Diamond or Pearl. All the features that are in Platinum (except for the Distortion World, the two useless characters that you cant even battle, and rematching your gym leaders, though you can do that in HG/SS, but its only the Johto/Kanto gym leaders), like the Battle Frontier and Wifi Plaza, are in HG/SS, and if you plan to buy that, then maybe you should save your 10 dollars.

SSLaertes

Stealthy Strategist
    Years
    I bought Platinum today after loosing Diamond, and already I can tell a difference. I recommend it.
    Same here, my younger brothers lost mine somewhere when i let them use my DS.
    Big Differences:
    - Longer story (if your into that kind of thing)
    - Gym Leaders love to use Pots, more difficult (more annoying)
    - Battle Frontier

Of course, if you just really want the base game. I would go with Diamond and Pearl, faster completion and you can get right too the niddy griddy of EVs and breeding :P

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    ten extra bucks? i paid more for pearl than i did for platinum o.O

anyways, go with platinum,. i've played both and now i wish i'd know about platinum before i got pearl. it's hard keeping up with both versions.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2017
    Follow these instructions for a lengthy list of changes from D/P to Pt.
    Go to Google.com.
    Type or copy: "New feature of pokemon platinum".
    Go to the second link: the Bulbapedia link.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back