• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

California's smoking age raised from 18 to 21

kendypls

Currently playing: Expert Emerald (Casual)
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 10, 2020
    Stupid rules, stupid age restrictions!

I live in the UK, so this doesn't apply to me, but I certainly do have an opinion on it!
    Here is how it works in the UK:
    Legal age to buy cigarettes and alcohol - 18 (adulthood)
    Legal age to drink outside of your own home - 18
    Legal age to smoke outside of your own home - 16 (police will take the cigarettes from you if you are younger and caught smoking in public)
    Legal age to have consensual sex - 16 (both parties bodies have matured enough for this to make sense.)

I like it this way... By 18 this country classes you as an ADULT, this means... in the eyes of the law that you are fully responsible for yourself, you can decide if you want to drink or smoke, or do anything that hasn't been classed as 'illegal'!

What's the point in them taking these freedoms away from people who are already classed as an ADULT? the generations before us had it this way and it works well!

I don't see this acting as a deterrent, all I see is ADULTS getting upset because they are yet again being told what they can and can't do to their own bodies, and further restricting the people who have WAITED till the age of 18 to have these freedoms with substances, that have been used by people for hundreds of years.

And in regards to peer pressure, this happens to ANYONE of ANY AGE! my dad was talked into trying Hookah by an egyptian guy, he's never even smoked before, so raising the age to counter that, is useless, it just doesn't work.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
    I never understood the craze behind smoking. I tried it out to see what the "addiction" was all about .. I was able to leave it alone without a problem.

Whatever works I suppose .. whether it's 18 or 21, their choice.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    This is great news, I used to know a few people who smoked, and they were not looking good. In my opinion, they should ban tobacco in general seeing as it kills so many people each year.

Underi

Palkia Addict
    Years
    Making something illegal doesn't really help at all. Why not keep it 18, make the idiots pay the taxes and destroy their own bodies.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    good. In my area there are 15 year olds smoking cigs in front of cops.

Back