• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can we get a new variety of hacks, please?

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    I see tons of Johto remakes.
    Tons of just simple recolors.
    Tons of "I MAKE THIS" then it dies and and is never heard from again.
    I see tons and tons of well, poo. Of course we get several diamonds in the rough that are just amazing.

But come on people, get original, like that Mechamon hack, and Azure Horizons, my hack, and the other great ones.

WORK ON SOMETHING GREAT, YO.

MAKE YOURSELF PROUD.

STOP PRODUCING POO. :)

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    STOP PRODUCING POO. :)

I have been doing exactly that for a week now, should I call a doctor?

No but really hacks these days are like you've said "are poo"
    People need to put lots of time and effort into their hacks and settle for nothing less. Learn how to script or map or even how to sprite. I promise you if you practice long enough and hard enough you will become much better then you were before. (b'')b

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    I see tons of Johto remakes.- yes an it's over used. Even Some of the great hackers(and your friend) Make Johto hacks.
    Tons of just simple recolors.- I don't even waist my time with those hacks.
    Tons of "I MAKE THIS" then it dies and and is never heard from again.-that's usaly the scarpbox that's why I never go there anymore, it's depressing.
    I see tons and tons of well, poo. Of course we get several diamonds in the rough that are just amazing.- I argue the ability to get into the progressive hack section is way to easy. My hack Got in the progressive hack section with only a weeks worth of work.

But come on people, get original, like that Mechamon hack, and Azure Horizons, my hack, and the other great ones. ( why, aren't you a little prideful XD)

WORK ON SOMETHING GREAT, YO.

MAKE YOURSELF PROUD.

STOP PRODUCING POO. :)- I will take that into consideration, I guess. :P (but why so silly if you really want people to change you should act more serious or they will think it was a joke.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    Oh yeah man, totally! Let's all complain about everyone else and refuse the fix the problem ourselves!

Look, I understand that you are a very capable hacker, better than the vast majority of members here at PC. However, that doesn't give you the right to prance around and rip on everyone else's work. True, a lot of people think that they can make an amazing hack in a day. Those types of people will always come to this forum and leave within a week. So why even bother to criticize them? If you want to influence them, then you should go out and create a truly revolutionary hack. As a competent hacker, the power to change the state of hacking lies in your hands, not the n00bs'.
    I'm criticizing on things that NEED to be criticized upon. Nothing lies in my hands that could change the way of the hacking state, short of me making a small hack and that getting spread into x number of poo hacks, even I wasn't agreed with, then this thread wouldn't have been approved.

No?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    I'm criticizing on things that NEED to be criticized upon. Nothing lies in my hands that could change the way of the hacking state, short of me making a small hack and that getting spread into x number of poo hacks, even I wasn't agreed with, then this thread wouldn't have been approved.

No?

I agree that the hacking scene needs to change. I just don't see how complaining about how bad things are helps to mitigate the problem. Do you honestly believe that one of the members you are describing is going to 1) even notice this; and 2) actually make any changes to their hacking (though I'm sure you wouldn't even call it "hacking")? There has and always will be low quality hacks, just like there will always be low quality movies, video games, books, you name it. You'd best accept it and move on.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    No, they won't in all 6 years i've been doing this they haven't. But the mods can wipe them off the board until they do.

HINT HINT.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    If waving goodbye to the crapbox does it then there's half your solution.
    I agree with interdpth that the majority of hacks from the scrapbox don't go far, and I agree I would be happier with out it.

I agree that the hacking scene needs to change. I just don't see how complaining about how bad things are helps to mitigate the problem. Do you honestly believe that one of the members you are describing is going to 1) even notice this; and 2) actually make any changes to their hacking (though I'm sure you wouldn't even call it "hacking")? There has and always will be low quality hacks, just like there will always be low quality movies, video games, books, you name it. You'd best accept it and move on.
    interdpth he is 100% right. In everything there will be low, and high quaility. All we can do is change the standereds. Higher standers higher quality hacks. (hint hint :P stronger polices on the progressive hacks section)

I see what you mean there :P I guess it's quality and not quantity ^^
    Yup, and I was referring to you lol.

That would be very sexy to start off with.
    Like I said if you joke around with all this all it will be is a failed attempt. If you want something done takes things more seriously.

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
    I have a great idea for a hack, but im having a lot of trouble with the HEX codes etc...

i wanted the hole region to be like the great marsh, and it would have had bridges running over the mud...

the starters are croagunk, stunky and skorupi.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    I have no clue how you think I was joking, I use "sexy" instead of "great" everywhere I go.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    kk, but as you said before there are diamonds out there... and it is up to those gamers out there to find those diamonds just as it is to us hackers who produce those diamonds...as you know diamonds take millions of years to be produced :)

but personally i think my hack will become a diamond one day :) well I hope it will :) Alot of hack ideas have the potential to succeed but they all fail cause of the lack in skill the hackers possess. We must help those who are less experienced then ourselves, nnot just ignore they're repeated PMs begging for help or just say "I don't have time", when half the time ur just sitting there...

well you do carry a point in saying alot of hacks these days are crap, but thats olny cause we get lazy and make'em crap. If everyhacker went out there and took the time to learn and practise instead of saying I NEED HELP!!!, then hacks and hackers will be diamonds :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

You can't stop the untalented from creating crap. The best you can do is try to teach them (gently) why their creations are crap, or create non-crap yourself. Both are difficult tasks.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    No, they won't in all 6 years i've been doing this they haven't. But the mods can wipe them off the board until they do.

HINT HINT.

*** yes. The Scrapbox desperately needs moderation. It would only take some ground rules. No more "I MAKE THIS" (as you so eloquently put it) unless you have skills, team members, and a working plan. The Scrapbox is filled with rubbish. So many noobs pull a storyline out of their orifices and make a thread about it, and half a dozen people show up and call it a great hack. IT'S NOT A HACK. IT'S AN IDEA FOR A HACK. AN IDEA THAT WILL NEVER GET ANYWHERE BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO HACKING SKILLS. RANT RANT RANT RANT

------------

What I want to see in a hack is a complete deviation from the standard Pokemon game. I don't understand why people would choose to labour so hard, for such a long time, and produce something that's a variation of Ruby, or Fire Red, or Silver. The maps are different, the evil team has a different name and goal, maybe the Pokemon are changed, but it's still the exact same formula. You run through the region, levelling your Pokes, battling gym leaders, rivals, and evil dudes, and best the Elite Four. There's a lot of mindless clicking involved. Only self-imposed restrictions can make it challenging.

But maybe that's just me. After all, Diamond and Pearl use that formula, and they seem pretty popular. :|

I have a great idea for a hack, but im having a lot of trouble with the HEX codes etc...

i wanted the hole region to be like the great marsh, and it would have had bridges running over the mud...

the starters are croagunk, stunky and skorupi.

So...you want to change the maps and starters. And you can't script. What makes your idea brilliant?

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Mostly of the hackers that posts in the scrapbox are untalented at hacking. They just post an say "I mehk dis, if u stil my aydiya i will repurt u." The scrapbox needs stricter moderation, or it should be removed.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Yeah, A lot of hacks in the scrapbox are crap...
    But you can't stop the noobs...
    The scrapbox needs better moderation, say each hack in there needs atleast one screenie...

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
    So...you want to change the maps and starters. And you can't script. What makes your idea brilliant?

My idea is briliant because the scenery of the great marsh is awsome :)

anyways i game up on that and im making a new rom hack as we speak.

im devamping every pokemon :)

im about 5% done

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    No. Simply no. What makes you post this? I started in the Scrapbox. I tried, 2 times. Wouldn't work. I tried the third time. Now I did it. I made it to the Progressing Hacks (Actually before there was no Progressing Hacks, just the Scrapbox and the Hacks Showcase.). I agree with you that there are just some idiotic people. But not all of them. Say, how many of you already finished your hack? Did you ever release an alpha, or a beta? You can't just do that. What I'm trying to say is, people need to start somewhere. If there's no Scrapbox, even higher standards, you'll decrease the popoularity of the ROM Hacking section.

Please. You're making it harder for everybody.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    The idea of getting rid of the scrapbox is... Absurd, to say the least. yes, there are a load of crap hacks, and bad hackers, but some really do shine. All these hackers need is patience, motivation, and support, not endless amount of complaints. This demotivates, and really doesn't help anything. if we gave constructive criticism more often, and stopped people give false hope to hacks that need vast improvement, then less of these worse hacks will arrive.

Actually, here's an idea to get rid of bad hacking - ban hacking. True you get no hacks at all, but no news is good news. THAT is basically what you are doing with the Scrapbox being... Scrapped. It is a place for beginnings, and those improvements you learn there pay off in the long run most of the time. Don't like the bad hacks that are there, don't go there, focus on the other areas.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    My idea is briliant because the scenery of the great marsh is awsome :)

anyways i game up on that and im making a new rom hack as we speak.

im devamping every pokemon :)

im about 5% done

This post stands for everything my first post said.

Back