• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can we get a new variety of hacks, please?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    Wow.. I guess I shall give you guys a simple response..

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196223
    ^This.

You know guys, if you want to see a nice variety of unique hacks, you gotta do it yourself.
    although I agree that if you want a variety you have to START with yourself, but there will still be people making crapy hacks, that's why you need to have a higher standard.

My idea is briliant because the scenery of the great marsh is awsome :)

anyways i game up on that and im making a new rom hack as we speak.

im devamping every pokemon :)

im about 5% done
    The idea is not that briliant, your not going to win an acedemy award. :P(JK) I wish you the best of luck, but please stop advertising your hack your just spamming, and making your self sound stupid (sorry for being blunt)

No. Simply no. What makes you post this? I started in the Scrapbox. I tried, 2 times. Wouldn't work. I tried the third time. Now I did it. I made it to the Progressing Hacks (Actually before there was no Progressing Hacks, just the Scrapbox and the Hacks Showcase.). I agree with you that there are just some idiotic people. But not all of them. Say, how many of you already finished your hack? Did you ever release an alpha, or a beta? You can't just do that. What I'm trying to say is, people need to start somewhere. If there's no Scrapbox, even higher standards, you'll decrease the popoularity of the ROM Hacking section.

Please. You're making it harder for everybody.
    no, you would not decrease the popoularity. There is something about rom hacking that draws people even if they can't make there own hack they can still play hacks. What will happen is the population of hacks whould decrease. All the bad hacks that would be taking up space would disappear and there would be more space for the good hacks.(That's why there are more hacks then ever. It's now easier to make a hack. It used to be harder and if someone really wanted to make a hack and they where serious, then they would have to do there homework. )

The idea of getting rid of the scrapbox is... Absurd, to say the least. yes, there are a load of crap hacks, and bad hackers, but some really do shine. All these hackers need is patience, motivation, and support, not endless amount of complaints. This demotivates, and really doesn't help anything. if we gave constructive criticism more often, and stopped people give false hope to hacks that need vast improvement, then less of these worse hacks will arrive.

Actually, here's an idea to get rid of bad hacking - ban hacking. True you get no hacks at all, but no news is good news. THAT is basically what you are doing with the Scrapbox being... Scrapped. It is a place for beginnings, and those improvements you learn there pay off in the long run most of the time. Don't like the bad hacks that are there, don't go there, focus on the other areas.
    The progressive hacks is a great place to start. you only need 4 screen shots and I was able to get in quite easily. Sure it takes some work to get 4 screen shots but it shows work and gives them a goal. It also shows that they are serious about rom hacking. It is to easy to get into a scrapbox no work is needed. Any body who is bored can just start a hack and then cancel it in a weeks. Also why do people need a forum to start off? If you don't have any screen shots then there's nothing to criticized.(hence defeats the purpose to even post a starting hack) Get some work done on your computer before posting your hack.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    The progressive hacks is a great place to start. you only need 4 screen shots and I was able to get in quite easily. Sure it takes some work to get 4 screen shots but it shows work and gives them a goal. It also shows that they are serious about rom hacking. It is to easy to get into a scrapbox no work is needed. Any body who is bored can just start a hack and then cancel it in a weeks. Also why do people need a forum to start off? If you don't have any screen shots then there's nothing to criticized.(hence defeats the purpose to even post a starting hack) Get some work done on your computer before posting your hack.

You fail to see the point of the Scrapbox. Some people create IDEAS, right? And post them. THEY are to be rated. Some hack creators post their IDEAS before screenshots, to see how they could change it. SOME hackers want a pretty solid idea on their story, and then see if it is liked, then tweak it BEFORE working on anything, as your idea leads to your scripts, and your story leads to your hack.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years

You fail to see the point of the Scrapbox. Some people create IDEAS, right? And post them. THEY are to be rated. Some hack creators post their IDEAS before screenshots, to see how they could change it. SOME hackers want a pretty solid idea on their story, and then see if it is liked, then tweak it BEFORE working on anything, as your idea leads to your scripts, and your story leads to your hack.
    what ever happened to hacking for just hacking. Do you seriously think you can just jump into the rom hacking scene and decide to make a hack? If your Idea is not good then just start over on a new clean rom. Your new knowledge on rom hacking will help you make your Idea into a reality. It's like wrighting an essay, you need to pre wright first. So your mom/peer/teacher can tell you if A) continue your idea and wright the essay or B) create a new idea.

Last edited:

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021

So shouldn't there just a be a THREAD for that instead of a whole subforum?

Makes more sense.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    So shouldn't there just a be a THREAD for that instead of a whole subforum?
    Makes more sense.

If there was a big thread, it would be harder to be specific with which hack we mean, it will get really hard to search in after a while, and would require re-posting to get our new ideas across. As well as searching for any criticism is WAY harder for that. And all the subforums are there for a reason. The scrapbox is made for criticism in early stages and ideas, as we cannot follow what we think is right without other people helping and guiding. That is where many leaders go wrong (Not just hack leaders...) Our ideas need improving before scripting begins, as if there is a flaw early on, and you've scripted it, you need to redo it. Better to finalise with a thread before starting, to make sure things are perfect for later on.

Threads for each specific hack in a scrapbox part is easier to me, as it is easier to search, easier to post updates, and criticism. Also, the threads allow it to be easily moved when required. Posting ideas in threads helps hackers, EVERY hack starts somewhere, and begins with many problems, mostly a newby owner. You used to be a newb, you overcame it. Stop complaining about something that will never ever change, as it is the law of nature. People start new, produce ideas, then they work on them, and improve them, and become better, slowly, but surely. All they need is time, motivation, and encouragement, similar to what you had when you started at a guess, and similar as the rest of you. I will probably not even change your opinions, but at least understand that even the newbiest of hackers can become something great if motivated, given time, and forced to improve.

Last edited:

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021

that makes perfect sense :)
    I made my first hack, course it failed miserably and i would rate it "crap", but from that hack I learned, and not saying my current hack is perfect, but it is a vast improovement. Rom hacking is a skill that almost anyone can learn. Even the greatest hacks in the rom hacking sections started from to bottom, and worked thierselves up, through many hardships and annoying spam. But the thing i'm trying to say is : The scrapbox should be kept :). Hacks that are crap, are only crap because of these reasons:

Inexperienced hacker
    Lack in imagination
    Lack in hacker's willingness to learn new skills.

Also if we were to look at the scrapbox and read the first 2 lines and say...yup yet another crappy hack and just leave....we arn't really helping now are we? That is why you MUST give constructive criticisim to ALL hacks, either crappy or great. This HELPS the hacker to move on and learn what needs to be changed or improved upon :) For example: my hack is in the scrapbox still...but it is not entirely crap (accorfing to the comments). But some hacks have like 2000 views and 5 comments...yea so many people looking and leaving and only 5 people who actually care...

PS. was that too long?

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    is it just me or did interdpth get his wish and the scrap box is shutting down...

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
    is it just me or did interdpth get his wish and the scrap box is shutting down...
    It is shutting down, but the way Anthony said it, it sounded as if the moderators had been talking about this idea for a long time before interdpth even posted this thread.

DreadWaffle

LOVE AND PEACE!
    Years
    The Speaker recognizes, DreadWaffle
    I reserve my right to make a statement;
    So noted

thank GOD for scrapbox dying, i see so much crap there
    i have even made crap and poo there, and i am fine with that. But seriously, this is essentially what people have already said but scrapbox to me is a first update step, then when i decide to stop playin counter-strike and Cod6, i will eventually work on something, just not anything related to my hack, but make tiles or something 0.o
    But if the scrapbox had the progressing hacks thing where it has to be accepted, it might be better. I doubt that would work.

I yield my time

RedBaron474

I don't even know
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    The Speaker recognizes, DreadWaffle
    I reserve my right to make a statement;
    So noted

thank GOD for scrapbox dying, i see so much crap there
    i have even made crap and poo there, and i am fine with that. But seriously, this is essentially what people have already said but scrapbox to me is a first update step, then when i decide to stop playin counter-strike and Cod6, i will eventually work on something, just not anything related to my hack, but make tiles or something 0.o
    But if the scrapbox had the progressing hacks thing where it has to be accepted, it might be better. I doubt that would work.

I yield my time

True, there may be some of the worst hacks ever there, but hacks have to start somewhere. You can't just expect a new-to-the-forums hacker to go straight to the Progressing Hacks. So I think that "scrapping" the Scrapbox is being somewhat unfair to new hackers.

R.I.P. Scrapbox!!

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    True, there may be some of the worst hacks ever there, but hacks have to start somewhere. You can't just expect a new-to-the-forums hacker to go straight to the Progressing Hacks. So I think that "scrapping" the Scrapbox is being somewhat unfair to new hackers.

R.I.P. Scrapbox!!

Ergh... I agree with this. New hackers SHOULD be treated fairly. Not all of them act like the SPAMers or requesters. Getting rid of the scrapbox, whilst means that hackers must provide work and probably help them get more used to hacking and maturer, isn' really too fair on those hackers with great ideas, but need help, and criticism before making them.

But that was the theory that failed to the Scrapbox... That a hack is posted for ideas and criticism before being made, to secure the scripting of it all. That failed so... Get rid of it. If only we took that attitude more often... I guess eventually the Scrapbox may be back. Harsher rules like Mod Approval would probably be implemented if it returns.

~Gary~

PSN: xAzureZePhYr.
    Years
    I agree with this. New hackers SHOULD be treated fairly. Not all of them act like the SPAMers yep they really should be treated nicely

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    They'll be treated nicely if they won't spam, request, ask for a scripter, etc.

... Right, OK, most of them do, but not ALL of them. You cannot stereotype everything. Remember Cello? Yes, he was new, but wasn't like the vast majority, was he? He learnt Tile Inserting, and quickly fitted in. I say that we revise our attitude, and only treat the people we KNOW are SPAMers and Requesters like this, and all the new people as equals. Innocent until PROVEN guilty? At least when the Scrapbox is... Gone.

Seth, what if I put you in the same group as... Well, some of the arrogant ones who insult the new hackers who are expected to pick up where we leave off? You see? Cannot stereotype everything, as if we do, you will be likened to many arrogant people, which you will hate.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    ... Right, OK, most of them do, but not ALL of them. You cannot stereotype everything. Remember Cello? Yes, he was new, but wasn't like the vast majority, was he? He learnt Tile Inserting, and quickly fitted in. I say that we revise our attitude, and only treat the people we KNOW are SPAMers and Requesters like this, and all the new people as equals. Innocent until PROVEN guilty? At least when the Scrapbox is... Gone.

Seth, what if I put you in the same group as... Well, some of the arrogant ones who insult the new hackers who are expected to pick up where we leave off? You see? Cannot stereotype everything, as if we do, you will be likened to many arrogant people, which you will hate.
    It's not generalization or stereotyping; it's more like natural selection. The strong move on; the weak die. If a new hacker is able to figure out that s/he can't request hacks, knows that asking a scripter will get him/her nowhere, and that they shouldn't spam, then they'll be just fine, and will actually get somewhere without being frowned upon.

There will always be some who commit the offense, improve, and then move on to greater heights. These are the ones that will be frowned upon, but understand they cannot do such things, and will be alright.

And, as always, there will be some who commit the offense, and do not learn from it. They will continue until banning/leaving for good.

I never said any specific members or types of members commit the offense. Of course, it's mostly newer hackers that do, because they're new.

And, I don't mind if you group me with people who do not like newer hackers; you'd be the stereotypical one, though. To be honest, I really don't like when new members cannot learn from their mistakes or even read the rules. I'm in no way saying all newer hackers are like that; some are, some aren't, of course. Plus, if someone is so lazy that they don't read up on what they can and cannot do here, then it says something about them. It says that they have little to no motivation to learn what's right and wrong in a hack, which in turn makes them fail, and results in people looking down upon them.

I agree that they should be treated fairly, but we're humans. We're not perfect; we make mistakes. We get angry. We have ideals, opinions, and feelings and beliefs. None of us will get along perfectly at every time in our lives. It'd be nice if we could, but like I said, we're not perfect. Believe me, I'm not trying to make an excuse for being harsh to new members or anything of the sort, but some of us just don't like them. I'm not going to say which side I'm on, because that would cause people to say I'm biased, and only want what's best for my side.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    So... Actually, I am amazing myself when I say... Yeah, you're right. They should learn, and some do. Shame the vast majority don't... But you seemed to be generalising. You did seem to act like you thought all new hackers did it. But, I digress, as you didn't mean that, as I now understand.

It seems a shame. The ones who needed the scrapbox abused it the most, and now they, and every other potentially great hacker are paying the price...

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2010
    I am new at all this stuff, well actually, am new to almost everything with the exception of AdvanceMap. But may I ask what do you guys consider "poo" and not "poo"? The hack that I'm helping work on is not very far along at all, mapped up to the first gym, but I want to know what's original and not.... I mean, we're trying to make a completely new region and stuff, whilst trying to incorporate our storyline into the Pokemon timeline. I don't want to sound like "oh, this hack is truly unique" etc., because I know that there are amazing plenty of amazing hacks out there, as well as many not-so-great ones. I just wanted to know your guys's opinion on this stuff.

Pogeygothaxed

Pokémon exDeltaSpecies Creator
    Years
    Wow, I was actually offended by some of the comments posted and the topic itself. I, for one, am a n00b. I started off in the scrap-box, posting my idea. It's still in the scrap-box, actually. Technically, I had enough screen shots to push it into Progressing Hacks, but that's no my point. I, tried entering Progressing Hacks at first, and my thread was rejected. So, I moved on to the scrap-box, and posted there. And almost every comment I got, was positive. I'd say it could have been one of the "diamonds" you speak of. But, you're right, a lot of the people new to ROM Hacking don't finish their first hacks. Have any of you ever finished yours? You hack, you learn, you give up...but then you come back. And when you do, you take everything you learned the last time, and put it into this time. Some of the ideas are everything you're asking for. Mine wasn't a recolor, or a remake, or anything like that. But if I didn't post it in the scrap-box, then I wouldn't have even gotten to where I did before I took a break. Because you do need support, or else you won't have motivation. ROM Hacking is hard. It does take a lot of work, and a lot of time, but no one is going to put in that effort for nothing. They need people to look at it, even if you do just read the first few lines and say "omg noob". You can't expect them to learn on their own. Just post a pity comment directing them to the tutorials section. And if they go there, work on it, then they might make something great. If they don't, then, you didn't lose anything...not every hacker is going to finish their hacks. I bet you that over half of the hacks in the Progressing Hacks will not be completed. Most don't get past a first beta...

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I couldn't read through this and not give my two cents.

Back