• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you help me determine if these games are legitimate?

Years
  • Hey everybody. Today I bought three DS games from GameStop. HeartGold, Diamond, and Pearl. I got SoulSilver on eBay about two months ago or so and after doing all the image comparisons and video watching, I'm still a little nervous I have bootleg DS games. I checked things out thoroughly on each game and matched them up with legitimate carts online and they seem okay. I know fake games generally experience problems the more they are played. Three of the four games have 50+ hours playtime on them (Pearl being the only with about 3 hours) and I fought a few battles in each with no problems at all, Pearl also played fine. I posted some pictures of the batch, the reverse images are in the same order as they were on the front side up (HG SS on top, D P on bottom). I probably shouldn't worry this much about but I have definite OCD (legitimately!) so I'm having trouble just putting my mind at ease here.
    Image one front: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEb1JuScjSaUXBSc1l1OWktd0k/view?usp=sharing
    Image two front: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEb1JuScjSacjU3WW5IZXNBNUE/view?usp=sharing
    Image three back: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEb1JuScjSaRWtQSTduc3NPamM/view?usp=sharing
    Note: Sorry about the image quality, I was pressed for time so I didn't have a chance to do them all one at a time. I notice the back of Pearl came out blurry a little, specifically the numbers on the chip board. It looks much clearer in person. I can redo a picture/game if it's needed. Thanks!!

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I can almost guarantee that your soulsilver is legit. I don't have a copy of the other games, so I couldn't say for the rest.

Years
  • Thanks for the responses! I don't have the pokewalker, unfortunately, I did want it but I don't think any of the shops here have it. I could order it online but if I did by the time it got here my return period with gamestop would be over I think, so if it was fake I'd be out of luck. The seller I bought SoulSilver from was very adamant about it being a legitimate copy (it was put right in the description) and none of his feedback represented selling fake games. So of the four that's probably the one I feel safest about.

Diamond and Pearl both gave me reasons to worry a little. I think when I first looked at the back of Diamond the numbers didn't line up exactly perfect with the spaces on the chip board. The more I look at it now though it looks normal. Pearl, it didn't have much playtime on it, so I wasn't sure about it being fake, as longer play time on a fake cart usually leads to more freezing.

That site is actually what I was using for comparison! After comparing them all with that, they do all look legitimate. I think I'm just worrying needlessly at this point. Just the fact of spending the money I did on fake stuff bothers me you know? It sucks that crooks have to ruin something like this for everyone else by making bootlegs.

Years
  • Whew, okay, I'm starting to feel better that I got a batch of authentic games here. I'm ordering cases from Nintendo to store the games in and I'll print cover art for them with my printer. I wish GameStop was better at selling cases with their games but, oh well, it's a lot easier to return games to the store than it would be to do a return on ebay. So I guess I'm willing to play the price (having to make my own case) for the convenience of it all.

As a side not, I'm not ready to buy them yet but, are counterfeit Pokemon Ranger/Mystery Dungeon games as rampant as main line DS games? Or are those relatively safe from the crooks?

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I have all 4 of them myself I bought new from Gamestop, and yours are identical down to the look of the plastic.
    Definitely authentic, none of the signs of the fakes are present at all. :)
    I know how hard it is to sort through the fakes on ebay, half of them are even secondhand by people in the US instead of China. :/

Years
  • Thanks for all the replies everybody! I'm so relieved that there's a consensus of everything being legit. I just have to wait for the cases to get here now and then print the labels. Then I can add them all to my collection.

Back