• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Canderis's 2nd Attempt on Fakemon and Sprites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canderis

Mr. Wejo
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2018
Well I have more material now.
WARNING: Big Image
Spoiler:

This is going to be the new pokedex for my game. The question marks will be replaced by new sprites. Every single sprite has been edited, most just subtly.

Years
Why do most of the sprites look anti aliased and blurry? Small edits of existing sprites aren't all that spectacular or interesting.. to me anyway.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Blurring the shading never makes things look nice, just weird - like some dodgy emulator filter. Especially when all the lines are still low-resolution.

e: you're also mixing 3rd Gen and 4th Gen sprites, causing inconsistencies between the two styles.

Last edited:

Canderis

Mr. Wejo
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2018
For one thing, i was using the sprites that came with the pokemon starter kit. I was trying to move away from the extremely pixel-y look. And i am more interested in feedback on the custom sprites rather than the edits.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
You need to start reworking them from the ground up then, focusing on drawing in higher-resolution instead of blurry shading that doesn't do anything good.

Also for your custom sprites, the two brown Pokémon have very poor outlines, ranging from non-existent to completely black. They're also looking to the side instead of facing the player. The white one has a very dull palette - the shading doesn't stand out nearly enough.

Years
Please be aware that the rules want you to have 4 pieces of original work when you start a thread. You've got three that I can see. Won't be closing your thread, but it would be nice if you could get some more work up. And while you're being nice perhaps you could consider scaling the stock images back to 'normal' size, or perhaps not show all of them. It's quite a large image to look at.

As for the work itself, it's... different. I'm not sure what to make of the blurred effect on larger sprites. It sort of defeats the purpose of them being 'pixel art' if they aren't made with pixels. Since by blurring them you're already going waaay beyond the standard 16 color limit of pokemon sprites perhaps you might want to try a style of pixel art that uses more colors than the pokemon style. You could use, oh I dunno, 8 or so colors to create gradients of specific colors instead of using blurs. Just a thought.

Canderis

Mr. Wejo
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2018
There is a fourth. Its hiding, and i need to re-scale it. I will upload the custom ones by themselves.

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
I think you really should begin at the beginnig. Start with recollors and stuffl iek that.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
all you have done is made 6 sprites ._.
and the three above i can tell are splices

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Please please please stop scaling up the sprites; it makes them look horrible. Also, why did you blurr the colours and leave the rough pixel outline? It's a really awful juxstaposition.

Your latest attempt is an improvement, but they are very obviously a slight alteration to the Garchomp evolutionary line. You need to read some tutorials on making Fakemon. Also, the colour palette you have used is wayyyy offf -- if you want to use a colour i.e. green or red then just go look at another Pokemon which is that colour and use its colour palette.

In summary: go read a tutorial on making Fakemon.

Years
It's true, please stop scaling the sprites and making them larger.. Also, i'm starting to think these are mere fusions/splices.. I suggest start putting some scratch work here.

pokepokemo

The RPing Challenger!
Years
I see a problem with the fire type final evo,it's back outline has a part where an outline is the same as it's back.

firebolt12

pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2012
Clean up the lines a bit. Also, if you are going to use a certain, style, stick with it. Also, try to edit a lil bit more! But I like the puppy fire type

TheAngryPidove

Don't Make A Pigeon Angry
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 25, 2011
Now, I'm gonna post some critique. Before you say anything, I do have sprites, I just haven't made a thread yet. Mostly because I need fifteen posts :D

Anyway, the most recent sprites are fuses. I could go through a lot of trouble pointing what pokemon they are and such but I don't know their names. The smallest one is an Axew head on a Sandile, as far as I can tell.

Also, the outlines are bad. Sometimes they are badly shaped, sometimes they are full black, and sometimes they aren't even there.

Also, stop scaling them up. It makes no sense.

So, in short, look at tutorials. Chesu has a good one. I don't know if you are trying to pass splices off as fakemon, but it seems like it IMO.

Canderis

Mr. Wejo
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2018
I did my first scratch, comments? It doesn't quite look right to me, but i can't figure it out what it is.

Don't even pay attention to the stuff earlier in this thread, its bad, i know.
EDIT: Fixed
http://min.us/mbtk6UFeriBdtV#1

Last edited:

Exxmaniac

lolwut???
Years
Well first of all, the black color is too dark. I can't see any shading at all.
Another thing, it isn't facing the right way, and there doesn't seem to be a determinable light source. Usually sprites have light coming from the top left.
Sorry if it's harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back