• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cap for ability.txt is 255?

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2023
    According to the appropriate wiki page, up to 999 different ability IDs can exist in the ability.txt document. That's all good, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I've programmed the effects of over 255 abilities for the game I'm workin on. When an ability an ID number over 255, however, it wraps around to the start.

For example, Wigglypuff should have the "Puff Up" ability, which is ID 273. When I test this Wigglytuff in the game, however, it instead has the Insomnia ability. Insomnia has the ID number 15. Needless to say, 271 - 256 = 15.

Despite the fact over 255 abilities exist in my abilities.txt, I can only get the first 255 to appear in-game.

This seems like it would be a very simple fix, but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The wiki page was inaccurate. You can only have up to 255 abilities.

Back