• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Catching Full-HP Pokemon

Years
    I'm sure that this'll sound like some noob spamming, but I did manage to catch Registeel in RSE at full health with a standard Pokeball. Go figure. I've yet to run a calculation to see whether something went wrong...

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I caught an Azlef at full health with a Quick Ball. It wasn't even at the beginning of the battle and the Quick Ball was my last. It was suprising because it had no status effects.

Years
    I usually do the same thing when I have high level pokemon and am trying to capture a low level pokemon. Catching low level Bidoofs and Shinxes are pretty easy with a pokeball without any real need to lower hp.

The ability to catch pokemon is based on formula that takes into account the pokemon's maximum hp, the current hp, status effects, type of pokeball, and catch rate (specific for each pokemon). Freezing and inducing sleep are easy ways to help catch pokemon without decreasing hp.

I've caught some normal pokemon like Bidoofs and Buizels with just a single pokeball and no status effects or lowering hp. However, it's really tough to catch a legendary pokemon with just a pokeball. It can be done but requires a lot of luck. I find that it's still easier to lower hp and cause status effects so that I don't waste my pokeballs and thus waste money.

Rosepuggins

Master Trainer
    Years
    I'm really enjoying this discussion. Thanks for your input, everyone!

This best belongs in General Pokemon Gaming.

-MOVED-

Sorry Evil. :embarrass Am new and will try to do better in the future. (Am currently playing Diamond so put this in the D/P section...)

My claim to fame is definately one that nobody believes. I remember it clear as crystal, though. I was busy fighting Articuno on my Blue version, and I was becoming more frustrated with every reset. Eventually I just reset the game and as soon as the battle started, I threw a regular Pokeball. Lo and Behold, it caught.

I screamed. xD

^^This cracked me up lol.

Hitokage2: I'd be interested in looking at that formula you mentioned. I've had some Pokemon down to their last HP and asleep, used every type of ball available on them, and still they won't be captured. Some of them chose to go into the strangest balls, too...

SuperBob

Professor Bob
    Years
    Believe it or not, I caught a Giratina with a regular pokeball without reducing its hp or sleeping / paralysed it in Pokemon Platinum.

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
    In my first playthrough of pkmn diamond, my team was kinda under leveled (lvl 40 and lower) when i got to dialga. And because of that he wiped out my whole team without taking damage. i only had my torterra with low hp left. My last option was to throw an ultra ball even though dialga's health was full, so i threw it and caught him. how lucky was that XD. also whenever i beat the game (all pokemon games) i stop weakening pokemon and i just throw an ultra ball (except legendaries of course). always works for me.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I did this all the time when I was trading my Pokemon to Pearl, I would go to the first route and capture those Pokemon and trade them to the Pearl game. As well as Emerald to Ruby/Sapphire and so forth

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    When I'm too lazy to have a "catcher" (something with false swipe/poison or burn inducing pokemon) I do this

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    I've gotten quite a bit of full health catches, but mostly just against pokemon that are easy to catch anyways. My only 1337 capture was with a dusk ball against girantina at full health.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2009
    i had no idea reducing stats will become a major factor when trying to catch a pokemon. thanks !

Back