• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cause Art is Apparently a Verb

Bellacrose

Lover of Wartortles
Years
  • Let's art!
    This is my new shiny art thread c: I have a dA and my username is Milfeyu
    I'll be updating this periodically xD I just never post anything on dA because they're mostly scribbles and traditional work because I'm so busy with AP Art and getting my college art portfolio ready.. 8D; Nervousness...
    Anywho I'll be posting pokemon art.. But if you'd like to see my other arts you can go check there.. Even though most of it is old :x I'll start off with a few and update more it along this week c8

Also I'm making fakemon for fun c: But I may be letting someone use them soon... oAo I'll be making actual refs for them soon :x *procrastination*

Cause Art is Apparently a Verb

Water and Fire starters
    https://milfeyu.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0#/d30y8c8

Full Grass and Water starter evos I doodled o3o~
    https://milfeyu.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0#/d338yoc

More to be posted after I find and scan them :D

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I wasn't sure what level of crit you were comfortable with so I opted for my default. Hope that's okay. ;D

I'm not going to go all out on a single piece, but I'm going to comment on your style of art in particular.

First off, it's not wholly Sugimori-esque, that's for sure, but a bit more Disney-influenced if you get what I'm saying. Most of your pieces show that you like furry, rounded characters as your subjects, which is okay, but a bit derirative, if you don't mind me saying. For example:

https://milfeyu.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0#/d338yoc

The starter designs here are generally good, but you don't really flesh out the subjects much more beyond the cute and fluffy style you've got going here. Again, not bad, but a little variety won't hurt. The Koalee line, for instance, seems to be just the same Koala growing bigger and getting some wicked sideburns. Same thing with the Plater line. As a piece of advice, you might want to start venturing into more angular lines for your character design instead of the curves you've been cultivating so far. Adding a bit more detail and maybe even making a large deviation from the first starter to the end isn't bad. Look at Oshawott and its final evo. Oshawott is clearly bipedal, but the final evo is quadrapedal. Large deviations are okay so long as you give a small nod to the original basic form. In conclusion, your art style isn't bad, but a little deviation here and there won't hurt.

Now onto the big piece at the start.
    Spoiler:
    Nicely done, I can really feel the dynamic movement in this piece. The shading is generally well done and (again) makes your subject in this one look quite soft and rounded. In this piece, however, since it's not an original design and is just fanart, I don't blame you, but instead commend you for a great use of the structure you worked with. Using the blues and purples for shadows was a nice touch too. I especially like how you subtly highlighted the brown shell with the blues and purples while not making it look too out of place and instead making it fit in with the overall colour scheme of the piece.

Also, as a point of general interest, your background amuses me to no end because the colour here, which I identify as khaki brown (it might not be), connotes war which in turn is kind of like a pun on Wartortle. The silvery smudges on the other hand, give a nice sense of movement. Kudos to you on that.

Bellacrose

Lover of Wartortles
    Years
  • Wow thanks for the critique! I always love getting critique because it's the best way to fix problems you may not even see! And yes I agree completely with the cuddly round style staying consistent and that not being a good thing at all :I Shame on me for not seeing that >:I I wanted to try sugimori's style completely but I completely failed at shifting styles :c Ah well more practice! At first I thought you called them derogative and I was like what? D: But then I reread it lol. And everything was okay |D I agree about the whole making them change a lot more towards the end c8 I wanted to make them like the original starters and how they changed but still had hints of their old evos, but still looked unique. So I'm going to revamp them quite a bit and see where it goes o3o~ I really love the feedback thanks a lot! c: It helps to get critique on these kind of things especially <3

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I was thinking that the Art section would be offended at my style of critiquing, but this is some good feedback so thanks. ;D
    Yeah, the sugimori style is hard. I, personally, can't do it well, despite my 'rant', but I recognize it when I see it. Especially with some of his evos. Seriously, Oshawott to Daikenki is totally wtf-ish. Trapinch to Flygon was understandeable, though.
    And good luck with your revamping. (b'')b

Back