• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Approved: Chained Words

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
Years
  • Shiritori

The PokéCommunity Get-Together 8:
    EventsS » ShiritorI
    Welcome to The PC Get-Together 8's Shiritori!

ABOUT:
    - Because I'm lazy, this is what Shiritori's Wikipedia article says about this game:
    '' Shiritori (しりとり) is a Japanese word game in which the players are required to say a word which begins with the final kana of the previous word. No distinction is made between hiragana, katakana and kanji. "Shiritori" literally means "taking the bottom" as the Japanese language is traditionally written in vertical columns, from the top down. ''​
    - However, the PokéCommunity is predominantly an English-speaking forum, so we will be playing the English variant of Shiritori, also known (to some) as "Chained Words." This English variant follows slightly different mechanics when compared to the Japanese word game, but luckily, these mechanics will be briefly explained in the next section.

MECHANICS:
    - Participants will post a word which, unlike the Japanese Shiritori, does not have to be a noun; the word can be a noun, verb or an adjective (or if you feel like using another part of speech that will at least follow the rest of the mechanics, then feel free to do so).
    - This word has to start with the last letter of the word above it (that word, quite obviously, was posted by the previous poster).
    - Also, you cannot repeat words that have been recently mentioned.
    - Mimicking the twist implemented from last year's Get-Together, the word must also be related to the word posted above it. A short explanation must be included if your chosen word's relation to the previous is not obvious (yet honestly, I think that it would be best if you explain the word's relation anyway, so that you avoid breaking PC's '4 words and 25 characters per post' rule).
    - So to recap all that: your word must relate to the word above you, start with that word's last letter, not repeat a recently mentioned word, and include an explanation.
    - To illustrate what I mean:
    Person 1 said:
    Blue,heh?So Eyes
    I know a few people with blue eyes

Person 2 said:
    Stare,because you use your eyes to stare

Person 1(or anyone that isn't Person 2) said:
    I can't use eyes because that would be repeating a word,so Evil.You all know about evil stares right?

RULES:
    - All PC Rules (which can be accessed here →Chained Words ) apply. Kindly read these rules once again, especially if you are not used to posting in threads within sub-forums such as Pokémon Trivia and Other Trivia.
    - The thread will open at 12:00 AM EST on Friday, July 15 and close at 11:59 PM on Monday, July 18. That's the whole GT8, so you can participate in Shiritori all you want until the Get-Together ends. Yay!
    - Lastly, have fun!

SO, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO:
    First word:
    Pie

Last edited:

Cid

Years
  • I'm okay with the twist, because judging from last year's thread, it was a fun little addition. :D
    However, if we could think of other kinds of twists (like, maybe you have to make the two words rhyme, or stick to a single theme or maybe use the word in a sentence, or make the word antagonistic in meaning or all words should be proper nouns-- just brainstorming for twist ideas), then maybe we could change the twist daily for four days. Like if you have the normal Shiritori on the first day, then the GT7 (2010) version on the second and then more versions. However, it might be hard to implement, because it could possibly confuse people who don't usually check the first post and look at the latest one. It was just a random idea that may or may not work, anyway. xD;

BTW, I can do CSS if you guys would like to for the actual thread's first post then send it through e-mail (I won't have access to PC this week during its weekdays). Try to notify me, send me a message through this e-mail address: [email protected] ASAP (of course, identify yourself), and then I'll send you back the CSS code and text that either of you should probably post on the 13th (because I probably won't be able to do that). Or you we could do without CSS in our first post. We just have to talk first, honestly. :P
    Oh and regarding the possible (yet very unlikely) emblem given out as a prize by the event, maybe we could give one to the most active participants of the event...but besides that, I don't think anything else such as a normal participation emblem would work, unless you've got other ideas.

竜の子

Years
  • Oklay CSS would be nice,and how about this

D1 normal Shiritori
    D2 Gt7
    D3 Antagonitic Shiritori
    D4 Rhyming Shiritori

Plus let's the higher power said an emblem is okay if creative let's think of one

Cid

Years
  • Personally, I'm okay with that arrangement. :3
    However, if anyone else thinks that it might confuse some people during the GT8 (which is quite likely to happen), then let's just scrap the idea. ^^;

Oh and here's the first post I made. I went with last year's mechanics instead, because it seemed more simple. Please comment on what needs to be changed (I have no emblem ideas at the moment, so tentatively, we're not giving out any) and when you think that it looks ready after I change it according to your comments, then I'll e-mail you the code so you can edit it into the first post:

The PokéCommunity Get-Together 8:
    ShiritorI
    Welcome to The PC Get-Together 8's Shiritori!

ABOUT:
    - Because I'm lazy, this is what Shiritori's Wikipedia article says about this game:
    '' Shiritori (しりとり) is a Japanese word game in which the players are required to say a word which begins with the final kana of the previous word. No distinction is made between hiragana, katakana and kanji. "Shiritori" literally means "taking the bottom" as the Japanese language is traditionally written in vertical columns, from the top down. ''​
    - However, the PokéCommunity is predominantly an English-speaking forum, so we will be playing the English variant of Shiritori, also known (to some) as "Chained Words." This English variant follows slightly different mechanics when compared to the Japanese word game, but luckily, these mechanics will be briefly explained in the next section.

MECHANICS:
    - Participants will post a word which, unlike the Japanese Shiritori, does not have to be a noun; the word can be a noun, verb or an adjective (or if you feel like using another part of speech that will at least follow the rest of the mechanics, then feel free to do so).
    - This word has to start with the last letter of the word above it (that word, quite obviously, was posted by the previous poster).
    - Also, you cannot repeat words that have been recently mentioned.
    - Mimicking the twist implemented from last year's Get-Together, the word must also be related to the word posted above it. A short explanation must be included if your chosen word's relation to the previous is not obvious (yet honestly, I think that it would be best if you explain the word's relation anyway, so that you avoid breaking PC's '4 words and 25 characters per post' rule).
    - So to recap all that: your word must relate to the word above you, start with that word's last letter, not repeat a recently mentioned word, and include an explanation.
    - To illustrate what I mean:
    Person One said:
    So the first word is Blue, eh?
    I'll go with Eyes. I know a few people with blue eyes.
    Person Two said:
    Stare
    Because you use your eyes in order to stare.
    Person One (or anyone else who's not Person Two) said:
    You thought I was going to go with eyes? Think again. I read the mechanics, you know. :>
    Evil. You do know what evil stares are, right? *shudders*

RULES:
    - All PC Rules (which can be accessed here →Chained Words ) apply. Kindly read these rules once again, especially if you are not used to posting in threads within sub-forums such as Pokémon Trivia and Other Trivia.
    - The thread will open at 12:00 AM EST on Friday, July 15 and close at 11:59 PM on Monday, July 18. That's the whole GT8, so you can participate in Shiritori all you want until the Get-Together ends. Yay!
    - Lastly, have fun!

SO, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO:
    First word [/placeholder]:
    Pie

EDT: And wait, before you use this CSS, please ask for permission (LATEEDITforclarification3: I mean, ask for permission to use CSS first, and then ask again if he can check the thread the moment that we've got everything settled) from Hiroshi Sotomura first.
    E-mail to me his response, and I'll send you the first page's code with or without CSS accordingly. Thanks. >.<

EDIT2: I should have stated to PM Mr. Hiroshi Sotomura. Eep.

Last edited:

竜の子

Years
  • Okay,I'll use the each day a rule idea,if Hiroshi sama doesn't like this idea,we scrap that and go back to last year's,but I didn't want to be repetitive

EDIT: hadn't seenthe approved sign when I posted.So guess we'll go with new idea and if trouble people we go back to Gt7,mkay?

Cid

Years
  • I did ask to be sent a PM in the event that you guys needed this checked off. It didn't happen.

I also asked that if anyone needed their events to be given a name or description change, they would post in the Event Questions thread. That didn't happen. Even if it did (which would mean the name wouldn't be effectively sprung on me) I wouldn't allow it because it's the event's traditional name, and that it's been, from the start to the moment I sent the mass email for the GT8, advertised as "Shiritori". I won't allow it to be changed.

Alas, the CSS is fine and the event is explained very well, so I'll approve what you've done so far. I ask however that you continue using the "Shiritori" name.

I'm really sorry.

I shouldn't have assumed that 竜の子 was simply instructed to use the title "Chained Words" instead (because if that were the case, then it should have been stated in the events list), and neither should I have written that into the first post draft's title. I honestly had no intention to change the traditional title without permission, but it's still my fault that that point wasn't clearly evident. >.<

And I wasn't sure if what I posted was ready to be used as the first post yet, so I thought it would be okay to post my first post draft and hear 竜の子's comments before asking for permission to use CSS and using it as the first post. That was wrong for me to do.

- - -
    @竜の子: I should have stated from my last edit to PM Mr. Hiroshi Sotomura only when we've got everything okay. My bad. :(
    Also, judging from what was approved, I think we should simply implement last year's Shiritori mechanics, so that everyone would be familiar with it and that no one would object with any sudden change. It makes things less complicated for everyone.

Last edited:

竜の子

Years
  • I'm really sorry.

I shouldn't have assumed that 竜の子 was simply instructed to use the title "Chained Words" instead (because if that were the case, then it should have been stated in the events list), and neither should I have written that into the first post draft's title. I honestly had no intention to change the traditional title without permission, but it's still my fault that that point wasn't clearly evident. >.<

And I wasn't sure if what I posted was ready to be used as the first post yet, so I thought it would be okay to post my first post draft and hear 竜の子's comments before asking for permission to use CSS and using it as the first post. That was wrong for me to do.

- - -
    @竜の子: I should have stated from my last edit to PM Mr. Hiroshi Sotomura only when we've got everything okay. My bad. :(
    Also, judging from what was approved, I think we should simply implement last year's Shiritori mechanics, so that everyone would be familiar with it and that no one would object with any sudden change. It makes things less complicated for everyone.

Yeah,already did that,the definite thread ill have Shiritori as it's name and the CSS is definite with last year rules,now it's just a matter of time

Back