• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Chaining Help

White Dragon ZB

Dragon Trainer
    Years
    I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I follow the tut and for some odd reasons the patches that is says to go to usually break for no reason after about 7 encounters. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong or at least give a link to a video that shows the entire try of chaining that was successful.

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    You're talking about going into patches four rows away, right? You aren't doing anything wrong, it's just bad luck.
    About the first 10 times I tried, I couldn't get over 12. Usually not even over 8. You just have to find a method that works for you.
    For me, I find a grassy area where you can count an even four patches in each cardinal direction (north, east, south, and west) from the center. Then I go down to the third row from the edge of the grassy area (meaning if you walked down two more patches, you'd be at the edge), and run there. When I reset, I won't go into the grass unless it shakes in the third patch from the edge on the OTHER side-- this ensures that it is exactly four patches away. This method has gotten me a shiny Buizel, several shiny Eeevees, and several shiny Zangooses, as well as chains of 36-38 that broke.

But it's also failed to get above 15 too. =P Sometimes luck just screws you over. Just keep at it, and remember the basic rules. Eventually you'll get there, and trust me, there's not much more encouragement in the chaining world than your first shiny. =3 Good luck!

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    Well, first thing I'd say NOT to do is save. =P Since it might break by accident and it would not be fun to have wasted all those repels.

As for what to do, I usually stop going into patches all together unless they're shiny. All it does is increase your risk of breaking it. Also, ALWAYS make sure to walk around the patch behind you, even if you don't see it shake. I've broken good chains like that. *coughEeveecough*._.
    And it's usually a good idea to reset somewhere in the middle of the grassy area as opposed to the edge. That way all four patches will shake, and you have a better chance of getting a shiny patch.
    Then make sure to save after you catch the first shiny. That way even if it breaks after a long time, you'll still have your shiny and more repels that if you didn't save. xD That's really all I do... save after every shiny, and careful not to wander too far off while reseting. One step too many can take you out of the radar's range and break the chain. I lost a Buneary chain that way...

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    Nope, not unless it runs out. =] You can only use a repel after your steps from the last repel go to zero. I'm just saying that sometimes it can take a lot of time (and repels) between shinies. So if you save, and then accidentally break the chain after you've used a lot of repels searching for your next shiny, you'll be able to turn off the game and restart with the repels you wasted then, and still have your first shiny(s). It's not a requirement, it's just something I do because I'm lazy and don't want to battle a dozen times to buy more repels. =P

Years
    got same problem i haven catch any shiny pokemon l(

but my record is 33 skittys lol...

o yeh and i can change pokemon while im in the grass?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    got same problem i haven catch any shiny pokemon l(

but my record is 33 skittys lol...

o yeh and i can change pokemon while im in the grass?
    Well, you can change Pokemon, but it'll reset the counter (back to 0...). So it's not advisable really.

The main thing is patience. It can take some time. I usually do it bits at a time - chain for half-an-hour, take a break, maybe even come back the next day or so. Take the time, and if you are not sure about a patch, don't go for it, just reste it after 50 steps.

Also - never step up (your big fat head blocks the patch above you...), and don't go for patches on the side - only go for patches that are surrounded by others in all directions. (e.g.:
    xxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx)
    The x's represent one square each. Pretending that that is the entire patch of grass, only the orange ones should be gone into, as otherwise the chain may break ont he side, more often in the corner ones.

Above all, patience, also plenty of repels (stock up!). It pays off - I 've got quite a few shiny Pokemon in this way (including those elusive Eevees :) ).

To start off, try maybe having a lead Pokemon with the Ability Static (it can be fainted, as long as it leads the party), and try chaining some electric type Pokemon (like Shinx). The likihood of Electric types would then by higher, and thus easier to chain.

Also, there are some good guides and info on Serebii Forums - look around in the dp section there. :)

Tazz

Tazz the Spazz
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2008
    This information is really useful. I just started chaining a couple days ago, and sadly I don't have any shiny pokemon, BUT I have some useful information for you...Actually, it's not that useful but whatever:

When your chaining, make sure that Poketch app 20 is on the lower screen. When you encounter your first pokemon, there will be a bar at the top displaying the pokemon it was and how many you've see, which increases by...well, however many you've seen! lol (in a row). When you walk into a patch of grass that you think is the same pokemon, watch that bar closely: If it's the same pokemon, then the pictuer on the bar will stay the same. If it's a different pokemon, the picture will dissapear a split second before the screen turns black and the battle starts. I don't know how this is useful, but it takes away some of the anticipation from having to wait untill you see the pokemon in the battle, thus making you less likely to get frustrated, thus making you want to chain longer =)
    hope this helps you a little!

Happy chaining!

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    Well, you can change Pokemon, but it'll reset the counter (back to 0...). So it's not advisable really.

Really? I've switched pokemon while chaining before (in case I forget to put the one I want to use in front beforehand), and it's never reset before. o.o

Also, catching a pokemon will not break the chain, so you can catch more than one shiny without restarting each time.

Though I do know that if you use your bike, run away from a battle, fly or teleport (obviously), or, for some reason, use a rare candy while chaining, it will break it. XD

For your new question, you HAVE to activate the pokeradar again after you start the chain. That's what chaining is =P It's the repetitive use of the pokeradar to bring "safe" patches that you can walk into to continue the chain, because a good patch will not always show up right after you exit battle in one. Does that all make sense? I'm not good with explainations. xD

And what Tazz says is very true. Poketch App. 20 is invaluable to your chaining and sanity. x.x.

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    Yup. And remember, sometimes the chain will break even if you walk into a "safe" patch. It's programmed to do that randomly, so no one could take advantage of it easily. So really, don't give up, even if it makes you really mad (I've seriously almost broken my DS before when a good chain breaks XD).

White Dragon ZB

Dragon Trainer
    Years
    Lol, I almost did that once when I was at 35 and it broke. I'll try it tomorrow since right now the only pokemon swarming is on route 227.

Years
    another quetion :P just wanna be sure

when i complete a chain of 40 i keep reseting?

and well if i find a shiny pokemon? and i catch it, wath do i do next? keep resting until i get anotehr shiny? or just go the next patch

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years

and well if i find a shiny pokemon? and i catch it, wath do i do next? keep resting until i get anotehr shiny? or just go the next patch

When you get to 40, you keep reseting. However, it's usually a good idea to stop going into any patches at all unless they're shiny, to decrease your risk of breaking it.

After you find and catch your shiny, SAVE! Then, don't go into another patch unless you happen to be very lucky and another shiny one pops up. Just keep reseting until another one comes. No need to risk it.

Hope that helped.

Years

Yeh when i get to 40 i usually get at least 3 shinies of the pokemon then if im bored just go and do a bit more chaining maybe to like 45 then do a bit more resseting i know it dont increase my chances but my eyes hurt doing the same crap XD

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Really? I've switched pokemon while chaining before (in case I forget to put the one I want to use in front beforehand), and it's never reset before. o.o

Also, catching a pokemon will not break the chain, so you can catch more than one shiny without restarting each time.

Though I do know that if you use your bike, run away from a battle, fly or teleport (obviously), or, for some reason, use a rare candy while chaining, it will break it. XD

For your new question, you HAVE to activate the pokeradar again after you start the chain. That's what chaining is =P It's the repetitive use of the pokeradar to bring "safe" patches that you can walk into to continue the chain, because a good patch will not always show up right after you exit battle in one. Does that all make sense? I'm not good with explainations. xD

And what Tazz says is very true. Poketch App. 20 is invaluable to your chaining and sanity. x.x.
    Ah, ok, I though he/she meant change the Pokemon you were chaining... switching around the Pokemon in your party is perfectly fine - do so myself (spore/flase swiping Brellom is great. :) )

Back