• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Changing sprite between gba versions

Years
  • Hi,

I need help with the following matter: I've always liked gyarados's sprite in fire red better than the one in emerald, so I decided to paste over the sprite between the versions.

It shouldn't be that hard, since the image already exists, has 16 colors and is already indexed (If I got that right after much research), however when I try to import the image using unLZ - GBA it just won't work.

I'd very much appreciate any assistance.

Regards

Froosty

The_Learner
    Years
  • if you are trying to say that you want the gyarados battle-sprite in emrald
    then simply open your fire red rom in PGE...
    open pokemon editor and export the gyarados sprite (and any other if you like)
    then open emerald rom in PGE...
    again open pokemon editor and import the previously exported gyarados sprite...:)

its so simple :)

Froosty

The_Learner
    Years
  • You can use PGE or other Pokemon Editor for this

well other pokemon editor rather than PGE
    G3HS and D&D editor...
    well I dont know any editor any other than these.... I dont know any other than these, might be there are more also...
    with G3HS you cant export the pokemon sprite... and I havent used D&D editor..
    well the PGE is the best in my opinion..... because it has lots of features... :)

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
  • You might be having problems due to the fact Emerald use two frames for animation. Did the above suggestions work?

Edit: In regards to Learner's reply, you can also use Advanced Series which I know supports dual frame sprites. You could simply change both gyarados in Emerald to the static frame in FireRed.

Years
  • You might be having problems due to the fact Emerald use two frames for animation. Did the above suggestions work?

Might be this. And might also be the fact that the sprite in FR has a different background color. What I've tried is:

*Downloaded both "Nameless sprite editor" and unLZ-GBA to access the ROM's sprites. NSE actually shows me a double sprite like you mentioned, while unLZ-GBA shows only the regular front and back.

*I don't know if this was necessary but I downloaded free space finder as well (cause I tried following a guide I found here), and since the sprites are 4096 bytes each, I looked for that number and it gave me this code, which supposedly I need to paste it where it says "Image offset", the code was E3CF64.

*Then I opened the sprite editors again, and I tried to import the FR sprite to the emerald ROM, and also using the code I just mentioned, or otherwise it would say "aborting operation, file is too big" or something, and it just wouldn't save using unLZ-GBA, and wouldn't work using NSE.

I'm not allowed to post links yet, or else I'd show you how the 2 set of sprites (front and back) that I have for each version look like.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • transparent color can be different from pokemon to pokemon. the animation wouldn't actually prevent you from at least replacing the first sprite.

if you want, you can make a separate double frame for gyarados :P or you can just dual-first frame or even delete its entry in the animation table

i'm pretty sure that nse will actually do free space stuff

did you also say "automatically replace pointers" or whatever it was

post it in sections so it isn't recognized as a link :P

Back