• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Charming Chikorita

Kavii

forever my furret
Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Everyone knows that you just gotta catch 'em all to learn about 'em all if you want to be an Ace Pokemon Trainer, but... how do you know which Pokemon to pick for your Starter?

When I visited Professor Elm to start on my first ever Pokemon journey, I knew what to expect - a discussion, a lecture, some advice, and then... my first starter Pokemon.

For us beginners, there would be three starter Pokemon to choose from - Cyndaquil, Chikorita, and Totodile. They each have their strengths and weaknesses and overall, their stats are fairly sound, so... who to choose and why?

Somehow, I had in mind that I would probably choose Cyndaquil because of my own personal leaning towards Fire, but...

When push came to shove and it was time for me to make my choice, the one who ended up screaming at me to, "Pick me, pick me!" was...

Chikorita.

The green, round, smallish, leaf-waving, Grass-specializing Chikorita.

He blinked at me with his large eyes and waved his leaf around and chirruped in a friendly hello.

"Will you pick me?" I could hear him asking and compared to the voices of the other two Pokemon, his was both the loudest and the clearest.

I hadn't expected that of the usually docile and gentle Grass Pokemon and his assertiveness called out to my own fighting spirit and so I answered back in kind.

"Will you train with me and be my first friend on my new journey?"

Chikorita chirruped again and that was all the answer I needed.

I was fully smitten by the fighting spirit shown by the green-as-Grass Pokemon and so I, Trainer Kavii, chose for my first Pokemon...

Chikorita

and I have never looked back since.

Yes, as to be expected of starting out my Training adventures with a Grass type, Chikorita and I faced many challenges during our adventuring, but together, we weathered through many a battle to a solid victory even where his weaknesses made him more vulnerable to attacks in comparison to his hardier teammates.

One evolution and many levels later, my Chikorita as a Bayleef has been one of my constant Pokemon companions - rock steady, fiercely loyal, and with a fighting spirit that makes it stand out from its own kind.

People scoff about how bonding with Pokemon can affect their performance, but I think there is truth in that and it is visible when my Bayleef and I battle together with other Trainers or meet them in the field for Pokeathlon.

Even though we still have a long long road ahead of us, I know that my Chikorita-turned-Bayleef-soon-to-turn-Meganium will always be there with me and be there for me to the very end.

That was the promise he gave me when he asked me to pick him and that was the promise I made back.

Always. Forever.

I consider him to be one of my dearest friends and every time he cuddles up to me and looks up at me I know that he thinks of me the same.

Here's to you, my Chikorita - I don't know how to say thank you for everything you've given me or shared with me or taught me, but I hope that I've been able to repay you in kind.

~ Kavii

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    omg this is the best blog entry ever ;;

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • This is exactly how I felt when I picked my starter in Gold, only I felt that aura from Totodile. :3

It may just be a game, but if you can't put all of your heart into it, it just feels mechanical after a while.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Guillermo;bt41888 said:
    Cyndaquil uses Ember!
    It's Super-Effective!
    Chikorita Fainted!

LOL! I ran into this problem when I encountered my rival though Chikorita didn't faint. The one that gave me the most trouble was Bugsy's Scyther and his U-Turn.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Forever;bt41889 said:
    omg this is the best blog entry ever ;;

D'awww! Thanks so much!

If you enjoyed the style of this blog post, there will be more in the future but featuring other members of my Pokemon crew. :)

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Signomi;bt41892 said:
    Chikariii~ ♥

Chi~koriii~iii! :D

And then it's Ba~ayleef!

I wish the HGSS games used actual voices for the Pokemon; that would be really awesome. The synthesized voices for Chikorita and Bayleef are still cute anyways, though!

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Pachy;bt41896 said:
    This is exactly how I felt when I picked my starter in Gold, only I felt that aura from Totodile. :3

It may just be a game, but if you can't put all of your heart into it, it just feels mechanical after a while.

It makes me happy to know that I'm not the only one who feels that way and I'm glad you shared a similar experience when choosing your starter, too. :)

Since I'm new to the Pokemon game series (never seriously played a game until HGSS despite keeping up with Pokemon since forever), there's so much to do in the game besides just battling and I can totally see that if I didn't really enjoy the 'company' of my Pokemom crew, I'd be getting bored and yeah... like you said, it would all just be a matter of mechanics and strategy.

I especially love how you can 'talk' to your Pokemon and I love even more how they seem to have incorporated the Pokemon's Nature and 'attitude' (for example, I have a Quirky Bayleef who is Very Persistent) into it.

Right now, I have a bunch of cuddly Pokemon of all sorts and yeah... I really do feel some sort of bonding with them and it helps to take a lot of that humdrum out of necessary level grinding.

Who can say no to a Pokemon who keeps looking at you adoringly and cuddling up to you?

Not me, apparently. :)

Quilava!

Fireeeee
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2011
    Haha Yh My First Pokemon Ever Was A chikorita and i found it so cute. then i realised that quilava is now my fave pokemon hence my name :L

Back