• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chatspeak

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2024
    I don't mind people using it for texting/comedy purposes. It has its time and place.

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    Not if it's to the point of being retarded. I don't really have a problem with just: 'lol, you want to rate it?' but: 'lol u wnt 2 r8 it?' is retarded.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    Leet Lessons

Leetspeak:
    1 K4lL 17 l3375p34k. 1 4c74uLLy KW173 l1K3 17.
    W3ll, 7h@'2 m057 l1K3LY Ku2 1'M 4 g33k.

Advance Leetspeak:
    1 (4|_|_ 17 |_3375|>33|<. 1 4(74|_||_|_`/ |<\|/173 |_1|<3 17.
    \|/3|_|_, 7}{@'2 |V|057 |_1|<|_`/ B3(4|_|23 1'|V| 4 933|<.

Translated (To Real English!):
    "I call it leetspeak. I actaully quite like it.
    Well, that's most likely because I'm a geek."

Last edited:
    Years
    If you mean those times when people replace letters with numbers, that is an absolute no in my book.

Other things such as lol or rofl are fine, I myself am a frequent user of them, just not the annoying ones where I can barely read it. =/

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
    In all honesty, I view it as the biggest forced butchering of the entire history of written language. In my experiences with conversing with somebody using it and speaking it myself in my early days of using Internet communiqués, I've found that it causes the speaker to sound unintelligent and lazy, even when sending a text message via cell phone (you have a 1000 character limit for a reason; unless you're sending somebody a novel via text message, use it!). It's often difficult to understand somebody using chatspeak, especially when they misspell a word and you begin to start guessing at what they were trying to tell you because it seems completely foreign. Then after you send a message back saying, "What? What did you say?" they might ridicule you for being completely incompetent of understanding their horrendously broken English by replying with "lol omg ur so stpd y cnt u undrstnd wat im saing? its so ez."

I'm perfectly fine with the acronyms that come with it like "lol" or "brb." however; acronyms have been used in speech and writing for as long as we can remember because they prove to be practical.

In short, I would rather write and type in an intelligible format than revert to chatspeak.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2009
    I don't mind chatspeak like LOL, ROFL, LMAO, or some other words. Especially if they use it in texting, I understand the limitations of typing messages with cellphone.
    But I do get annoyed when people started typing with capitalized letter in every single word. Waste of time and, please, it does hurt our eyes.
    It's funny though when people says "LOL" instead of laughing when speaking directly.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    Chat-Speak in Roleplays, Fanfiction, Essays or anything else REMOTELY proper is ghastly and disrespects actual authors. I can't believe I'm actually saying this [my hatred for twilight knows no boundaries] but did Stephanie Meyer use CS in the Twilight Series? No. Should you? No. It's absolute laziness that shows a complete lack of disrespect for people in the roleplay and a lack of the basics of fundamental english [I don't mind grammatical errors if it's not your main language but just excusing yourself with the 'it's not my native tounge so i'll just use chat speak' makes me rather angry. >3>] and overall makes english teachers want to die inside.

Seriously people, it takes an extra couple seconds to type the entire word out and it makes you look that much smarter.

Patchy

-
    Years
    What's worse is run-on sentences. I can read 1337-speak pretty well anyway, since I do it a bit on msn. I just can't be bothered to do caps and periods when nobody will see it again, and everyone on my MSN list does it.

xMeowthz

Starting off fresh, again.
    Years
    i use chatspeak on msn, u know but no "RaNdOm CaPs" or all caps :3.(k, normal talk now) Of course I use stuff like smileys, abbreviations, etc.

I use 1337 rarely on MSN.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    As I've said before.. it works if you have if you have about 15 seconds to send a cellphone text, and then you're forced to close your phone real quick.

But for people to get used to typing that way, even when on a normal computer, where they could spend 30 minutes on a post if need be.. there is no excuse for typing that way. I swear, it's like they don't teach kids the correct way to type in school anymore. Either that, or kids just don't care.. which is sad, I think. Because typ1n lyke diz rly maks u l00k stpid. :/

If you don't feel like reading my whole post:

I hate it.

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    It's really annoying when someone is trying to tell you something important and they think someone's watching it so they put it in chatspeak, it's more hard for me to read though T_T

Back