• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chatspeak

Years
    Um, I don't mind it that much, but it's kinda confusing sometimes.
    Like, I don't mind, "GTG, BRB, LOL, BTW", I can understand those.
    But not, "LDYSWSWW?" I can't understand that, don't do it.
    And things like, U wre l8 2day, also make my head hurt. xP

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    People don't actual use it in essays...if they do, they're doing it on purpose because they don't give a crap about their grades. Some that use shortened versions of words maaaaay do it on accident occasionally (I can't think of an example for that but yeah.)

Chatspeak is fine in moderation (like high fructose corn syrup lol <--see?), but shouldn't be abused.

Forums tend to be the worst place to shorten things, because people come here to read what others have said. If you're typing rofl m8s every five seconds that can be hard to do.

Regular chat rooms on AIM, MSN, or ones like our own PC chat are fine to use crazy stuff like that. Text messages, though, I actually HATE the T9-word feature, it never says what I want it to. I'll end up sending my friends the word "hippo" instead of happy, haha.

So I just type regularly, or use some shortened things like rofl, lol, or n00bs4uc3 when I'm insulting someone haha.

Lily!

moved
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2010
    I think it's annoying. However, I use LOL, ROFL and other various abbreviations frequently in MSN conversations.
    Otherwise, I like to type in proper English. :)​

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Ick, it's absolutely awful. I can't stand it when someone actually takes the time to type like that. It's especially bad when people say it out loud, like "El Em Ay Oh." I mean, can't they just literally laugh their *Censored* (Butt) off?

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Oh em gee do i love it. I mean it is not only 1137 but amazing. I lol so hard when i see someone rofl and i always rofl when i see someone lmao. ut lol man its just the best. I gtg now so dont hate kthnxbai!

Nah kidding it gets annoying but when its used like ^ then it gets to a point of head desk.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I don't really mind it as long as it's used in moderation. I don't mind people using "lol," "brb," "lmfao," and a few others. I always try to type properly, though. It doesn't matter whether I'm on a forum, MSN, or texting. Before I got my new phone, the T9 feature really helped with that (now I just use the keybaord).

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
    I don't mind it in text messages, but have very huge issues with it elsewhere. I mean, on a text, you have a set number of characters before it goes over to a new text, and I understand that, but when you are on an email or a forum, you have as much typing space are you need, so why write like that?

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    I think it's okay as long as I can understand them. Texting using it is a big yes for me. Also when using it sarcasticly is fine too.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Generally if I'm using noob-talk, it's because I'm kidding. If I am completely serious, I will never use it, but if I say something like, "ya ur rly fat" or the like, people generally know that I am kidding. XD;

Years
    Ok. I think I posted something about this topic a while back. But let me restate things. Yes it's good for texting or IM'ing, for jokes it's fine but excessive use in forums just makes you look really bad.

It's funny on how it starts seeping through our creative writing and school assignments though, but bad for the future. =/

Lily!

moved
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2010
    Generally if I'm using noob-talk, it's because I'm kidding. If I am completely serious, I will never use it, but if I say something like, "ya ur rly fat" or the like, people generally know that I am kidding. XD;

Yeah, that's the same with me. 8)
    I would never use it seriously in a sentence, but when I do use it, it's usually for the sake of internet humor.​

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I personally hate it. What's the point in talking like that when there isn't a limit on how many letters you use? And I doubt many people have to pay for every character they type on the internet.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I used to do that when I first started IMs, but now I really hate it. It's so hard to read and I've become more accustomed to just typing things in full; or sometimes slightly shortened (missing one or two letters from long words or using very, very common abbreviations).

Dainty

The Puppet Master
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2012
    Chat speak = you officially have an IQ below room temperature.

Nashua

lovely, isn't she? :D
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2013
    Chatspeak must die in a fire. So should all the people that use it. Yes, even when texting. Some phones do have full keyboards now, so they should be of use. This also applies even if you have a phone without a keyboard.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I despise TXTSPK/chatspeak. I never use it (Things like LOL/LMAO/WTF/FTW/FML don't count) on messenger and I don't even use it when I text people. If anything, it takes me longer to type in chatspeak than it does typing normally haha :/

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years
    With the exception of "lol" and similar abbreviations, I prefer to type in proper english. I have friends who'll type "Ohemgeeeee that is the cooooooolest thing I've everrr heard!" And I'll always think "isn't chatspeak supposed to shorten the words so you don't have to type as much?" Yeah, I even text in proper English, just to get a kick out of it.

Back