• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Cheren? Bianca? But I wanted to name them Jack and Jill!

What do you think of not being able to name your rivals?

• Total voters

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
  • Yes, lame title is lame. XD

So, with Pokemon Black and Pokemon White we are unable to name our rivals, similar to Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Sapphire and Pokemon Emerald.
    What do you think? Do you think the characters being called Bianca and Cheren suits them and you wouldn't name them anything else, don't mind or would you have liked to have named them, whether after your friends or whatever. XD

Personally, I don't mind. Although I normally like naming my rivals after people who are close to em so they actually feel like "rivals", they have enough character to make them seem like rivals anyway.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I don't mind at all as I usually never know what to name my rivals haha. I tend to just name them by their official names anyways, so didn't bother me one bit.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I just name them what there official names are. I don't really mind. Plus, I think those names suit them. Or I've just gotten used to them.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Like posters above me, I name them whatever their official name is anyway, so if I had had the option to name I'd have named them "Bel" and "Cheren" anyhow. I generally use the Japanese name instead of the English name b/c it's more suiting (i.e. Jun > Barry) but sometimes I like the English name better (i.e. Brendan, May).

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I don't really mind. In HGSS, I named my rival Silver, soo...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I wish I could've named them. :/ I really don't see any reason why we couldn't. It's not like there's voice acting or anything. I guess the names are hard-scripted in instead of just variables that the script grabs from but... would it have been so hard to implement that? :(

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • It really bothers me. The name 'Bianca' is so ugly ugly ugly. Now I'm tortured to hear that name forever--I would've named them Jeremy and Aelita.

Cookies to whoever gets the reference.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    I understand why people would like to name their own rivals and such but I'm one of those who would use official names anyway so good thing they already did it for me XD.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I don't mind, I happen to like their names. Though I liked Belle better than Bianca, but i'll live.

So, with Pokemon Black and Pokemon White we are unable to name our rivals, similar to Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Sapphire and Pokemon Emerald.

Hmm...more similarities to RSE. More clues, more proof that the remakes are coming soon :P

SeanTheOriginal

Serious trainer is serious
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2011
    You may find that in some games, as with life, you don't always have control over the names of everyone. This may come as a shock to you, but yes, the names of other people can be out of your control. In time, I think you'll be able to accept this as reality and be able to GET OVER IT!

Woobat

Koromori
    Years
  • I don't mind it at all. It saves me the fifteen minutes of stress in which I would be sitting there trying to think of good names before ending up giving them the default names.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You may find that in some games, as with life, you don't always have control over the names of everyone. This may come as a shock to you, but yes, the names of other people can be out of your control. In time, I think you'll be able to accept this as reality and be able to GET OVER IT!

Yup, in the game where I travel as a teenage girl, control massive, legendary creatures with powers to create and/or destroy worlds and use them to fight other people with similar monsters, while saving the world from an evil team, I want realism.

Back