• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Childhood Rivals and Starter Selection!

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    From Pokebeach:

When you pick your starter, the other two go to your two rivals: Bell (the blond girl) and Cheren (the black-haired boy). They are your two childhood friends. All three of you start your journey together at the same time, just like Ash, Gary, and the other Pallet Town Pokemon Trainers in the show and the three Gold and Silver trainers in the Legend of Raikou special.

The game starts from Route 1, indicating that this region is much farther away than Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh.

Childhood Rivals and Starter Selection!

Many people were worried that there wouldn't be the classic "PICK A POKEBALL" thing, but dont worry its still there. It seems like you may get to battle your 2 childhood friends afterall. Cheren will most likely pick the pokemon that has an advantage over you while Bell picks the one that you have an advantage over. (You pick Pokabu, Cheren picks Mijumaru and Bell picks Tsutaja for example)

I know for a fact that you get to face Cheren:

This is just like last generation with Dawn and Barry but I hope that you actually get to face the girl trainer. I would love for there to be 2 rivals.

From Pokebeach:
    Belle is spontaneous and one of your two rivals. Professor Araragi leaves you a present along with Cheren and Belle and says to share it with your friends. This is when you pick your starter. Sometimes you'll battle them during your adventure. She also has a strong side to her that shows like when she goes out on an adventure against her father's wishes. During your adventure she will have times where she will be unreliable as well, but she will grow as the story progresses. Cheren is very intelligent. He's very trustworthy and will give you advice throughout your journey. His goal is to be a champion.

It looks like we do get to face both Cheren and Bell! HECK YEAH! I am happy that we now have 2 rivals! What do you guys think?

Because we have 2 rivals we could actually participate in a triple battle with them, or maybe just a double battle!

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    3 kids starting there journy at the same time. It isn't really new,but they are goign back to the classic ways. We arn't accidently getting our pokemon.

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
    I like this too. 2 Rivals. I was kinda upset that you couldn't battle Dawn, but I hope it'd be like this.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I like the idea of having two rivals too. Seems like more of a challenge :)

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
    Ah, yeah.. it's so much better that way,
    But what I'm really hoping is that soon we can create our own character.

Beelzenef

Luffy
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Ah, yeah.. it's so much better that way,
    But what I'm really hoping is that soon we can create our own character.

Yeah that would be cool. Like be able to customize your character's hair and eyes and what he/she will wear. I don't like the idea of choosing from just two characters. Sadly by the looks at the information we've gotten so far I don't think this will be an option in the game.

But I do like the idea of having more childhood friends and generally I think this game will have a lot of characters in the story.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I hope they do that someday. I would love to create my own character.

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    So we're going back to Route 1. I wonder where exactly this new region is. o.O

And the idea of two rivals is interesting; as one picks the Pokemon that has the advantage and another picks the one that has the disadvantage, how else will the two rivals differ?

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2010
    I like the idea of two rivals, more variety I suppose. Should be interesting :)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Belle is spontaneous and one of your two rivals. Professor Araragi leaves you a present along with Cheren and Belle and says to share it with your friends. This is when you pick your starter. Sometimes you'll battle them during your adventure. She also has a strong side to her that shows like when she goes out on an adventure against her father's wishes. During your adventure she will have times where she will be unreliable as well, but she will grow as the story progresses. Cheren is very intelligent. He's very trustworthy and will give you advice throughout your journey. His goal is to be a champion.
    This is the part that excites me the most. With such thorough character descriptions, I can just tell they're gonna be recurring more during the plot than previous rivals, maybe even ally themselves with you for the occasional double/triple battle.

also, call me crazy, but I highly suspect this Cheran guy might get involved in the villainous team somehow. His dark features, calm, intelligent nature, and subdued outfit just shout "I will double cross you if the chance arises."

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    So this makes me wonder if we actually get to see the opposite gender trainer at all in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've yet to see both the female and male trainer on the same screen right? I hope we get to battle/communicate with the opposite character.

I am happy to finally see two rivals though, that should be great.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    I totally agree with Timbjerr, I'm just ecstatic that our characters have such in depth personality as their physical designs. I see that Beru/Belle is going against her father's wishes in her journey, so I think that's awesome. This probably means we won't have so many do-good characters.
    Another thing I love is the fact that we have two childhood friends going on the journey with us! It seems like they both will be heavily involved in the story, which is great. I think that will really make up for the loneliness in most pokemon games.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    So there's two suckers we have to triumph over now huh? Hopefully these guys will actually have some personality, unlike almost every other rival, who all seem to come away from defeat with more confidence than ever -_-

I hope Cheren's a real challenge, he looks like the kinda guy that might end up being a champion. Although seriously, more childhood friends? I know it's no solid indication of the plot, but it's already pulling tabs from Anime 101.

Another thing I love is the fact that we have two childhood friends going on the journey with us! It seems like they both will be heavily involved in the story, which is great. I think that will really make up for the loneliness in most pokemon games.

I happen to enjoy that lonliness, one boy and his Pokémon travelling across the region. I don't know, I like the solidarity, it's what Pokémon is all about to me, bonding with your team. If I wanted to talk to people, I'd go to that place... you know... outside :P

Last edited:

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    So there's two suckers we have to triumph over now huh? Hopefully these guys will actually have some personality, unlike almost every other rival, who all seem to come away from defeat with more confidence than ever -_-

I hope Cheren's a real challenge, he looks like the kinda guy that might end up being a champion. Although seriously, more childhood friends? I know it's no solid indication of the plot, but it's already pulling tabs from Anime 101

id rather my character not be a loner actually!!

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
    WOO! Alright!! This makes me really happy =D
    Cheren seems like he's gonna be a really tough Rival
    Belle i really hope she's really strong too we need a Tough Female Rival

since we're going to be battling both of them when we get our starter
    if we beat them both looks like we'll be on Level 7 by the time we get to Route 1 xD
    or what if they make the Levels down to Level 1 ? o_o that'd be awesome/weird heehee

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    id rather my character not be a loner actually!!

I'm not suggesting they have to be, but I'm sick of knowing who my rival is from the get go.

What is wrong with meeting him/her around the first or second Gym? What's the big idea of giving our character and their rival a pre-existing relationship, I just feel it'd be better if we met them in-game and the relationship built up from there.

Perhaps we meet them and they help us at first, maybe they appear as a normal trainer and challenge us to a battle? Whatever, I'm just bored of the same thing.

Back