• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Cloning Pokemon - Pokemon X/Y

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
    ***PLEASE NOTE I'm just informing you guys about this glitch in the Pokemon X/Y games. I'm NOT encouraging anyone to perform this, it's really up to you and it DOES have high risks, still, but I thought maybe someone would like to know.***

Maybe some of you already know this or perhaps tried this, but especially in the past weeks it came to my attention that apparently, it is possible to Clone your Pokemon once more in the Generation 6 games.
    I'm not a player that clones Pokemon to spam them in random trades or on the GTS, in fact, I really prefer just to have all my Pokemon legitimately. But, I have to admit I was a sceptic at first, because I never would have thought cloning is back again in the Generation 6 games and therefore, would possibly work.

I just made this thread to share my findings about this with you guys, and I know for a fact now, that Cloning is possible again and it actually works in Pokemon X/Y. Even with the 1.2 patch, this still works, so I do hope this will be fixed soon in the future!

Okay, since I began playing Pokemon at the age of like 10 years old, I was always intrigued by the fact to explore glitches (and therefore, cloning) in the Pokemon games. When I first got my Blue copy (after that Red and Yellow too), I was one of the first to have successfully "performed" the infamous Mew glitch, and after that in the Gold/Silver/Crystal series I have used the cloning glitch once again to obtain all starters in the beginning of the game. And even after that, in Pokemon Emerald, it was still possible to clone.

This kinda made me want to check out this glitch in the new Pokemon X/Y games and see for myself if this actually would work or not, and here are the things you should know about cloning:
    1. You will need two 3DS consoles (I happen to have two, but obviously I don't expect most people having two 3DS consoles, so if you want to try, maybe you can borrow one of your friends or so);
    2. You will need two copies of the Pokemon X and Pokemon Y game (X-X, Y-Y and X-Y will do fine);
    3. Start both games on both consoles, make sure you put the two consoles next to each other, one on the left and one on the right
    4. Initiate a LOCAL Trade (WiFi will work too so I have heard, but you risk having more time-delay which is not recommended), on the Left 3DS Console, with a friend and:
    5. On the right console, Offer the Pokemon you want to clone;
    6. On the left console, Offer the other Pokemon you will trade in return;
    You WILL loose this Pokemon, so don't make any mistakes here or confuse the wrong Pokemon to be traded over because if done wrong from here on, you may risk losing the Pokemon you wanted to clone in the first place!***
    7. When both Pokemon are still "Offered" on both consoles, hit "Trade" on both consoles at the same time;
    8. The Pokemon will be traded over, note that the Pokemon you want to clone will be send to the left console, and the Pokemon that is the "bait" will be transferred to your right DS.
    ***CAUTION the next steps are crucial since you have to turn one of the two 3DS consoles Off during the process. REMEMBER that the 3DS you will have to turn off is the console which you used to trade over your Pokemon to clone, in this case, the Right 3DS Console has to be turned off in the next steps!***
    9. When the Pokemon are traded over, you will see a black screen for like 1 second, so make sure you have like a stopwatch near you so here is where it get's tricky: the screen will turn black for 1 second after the Pokemon are traded over;
    10. As soon as the screen turns black, IMMEDIATELY start your stopwatch and start counting till 4.5/5 seconds, when you see the counter go up to 4.5/5 IMMEDIATELY press the Power button at once on the Right 3DS Console;
    11. You will get the "Sleep Mode Screen" and that the device has been turned off. Wait a few seconds and press Home;
    12. Notice that on the Left 3DS Console, you have to see that the "Trade" is still in progress. After a while (sometimes it appears at once too), you will see that your top screen turns black and you receive an error message at your lower screen. Hit the power button on the Left 3DS Console as soon as you see this message, and press Home. ***This indicates the Cloning worked, if you timed correctly. It also happens you get a "Connection Lost" screen with a blue top-screen, indicating the Cloning failed. As long as you get the black screen and the Error Message, you're fine***
    13. Now start both games again;
    14. Check if the cloning worked. When done correctly, you will notice that the Left 3DS Console has your cloned Pokemon (this will be replaced by the "Bait" Pokemon), and that you still have your Pokemon you wanted to clone on your Right 3DS Console as well. So, there you go, now you will have two, exactly the same Pokemon.

Like I said earlier, this does come with high risks! Like Cloning in Pokemon Games always does, so if you want to try, be careful! You risk losing either one, or even BOTH Pokemon used in this process! Even though chances are really small to loose both Pokemon, there still is a chance! You may need to practice several times before you get the hang of it, the most tricky part is getting the timing right. Remember, it has to be EXACTLY around 4.5-5 seconds as soon as the "1 second black screen" pops-up after trading. For some it works around 4.5 seconds, for others it worked around 5 seconds. You don't have to use a stopwatch/timer, just do what appeals best for you.

This does work when done correctly, but like I mentioned earlier I do hope this glitch will be fixed in future patches, since it's still a glitch in a relatively new game.

Thanks for reading! ~ ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I've heard it also risks deleting your save file. It might be a scare tactic, but that on its own is enough to scare me!
    Also, where is the reward? Nothings beats a legit encounter.

Years
    This has been known for months. I use this method all the time to trade my flawless shinies with other people who do the same exact same thing.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
    I've heard it also risks deleting your save file. It might be a scare tactic, but that on its own is enough to scare me!
    Also, where is the reward? Nothings beats a legit encounter.

True that! I totally agree, that's what I'm trying to initiate, thanks for sharing this opinion! :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    In honesty, its much easier to just watch a youtube tutorial on it. It's very difficult to explain and absorb while reading it. This is also pretty common knowledge as its the only real method to clone, currently. However, thanks again for the contribution to the community :)

Chances are it also wont be patched, as its generally just how the game is coded to perform trades, hence why you are able to produce cloning via the same method in all Pokemon games. The only thing they can probably do is narrow the chance to produce a clone, as they have this time around.

Back