• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Collecting but not playing?

BJ088

It's been so long!
Years
  • What are peoples' stances on this. I mean, I know a fair few people who don't want to play the game itself but just wish to collect the cards and get enjoyment out of doing so. I'm one of those people.

But then some say it's pointless collecting the cards if you aren't going to play the game.

Thoughts? :)

Years
  • What are peoples' stances on this. I mean, I know a fair few people who don't want to play the game itself but just wish to collect the cards and get enjoyment out of doing so. I'm one of those people.

But then some say it's pointless collecting the cards if you aren't going to play the game.

Thoughts? :)
    I play and collect... mostly play, though... because the game is fun.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    I'm like this with all Trading cards that I have collected before.

I guess I just don't enjoy the feeling on winning a game of cards as much as I enjoy finding that rare card.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I see nothing wrong with it; after all, I myself do that. I sometimes play, but I mostly just collect. I like the feeling of getting a rare card better than I enjoy winning a game.​

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
  • well, i like both, i mainly collect, but i would love to play alot more but nobody i know knows how to play. i thought about teaching my dad but i don't know..

Riggzyd

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2013
    I use to have alot of cards but people stopped playing so i sold em all

BJ088

It's been so long!
    Years
  • Well at least people don't think there is something wrong with not playing. Because personally, I've never learnt the game but at the same time it doesn't really interest me.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2010
    I have never played because I've never met anyone else that did, therefore I never learned.
    I wish I had known more people that played, so I could have learned. I would have gone to the official Pokemon matches.
    I've always enjoyed collecting and trading, but no one my age collects anymore so I have no one to trade with for the last 7 years or so.

I miss trading with people. I have so many repeats of certain cards its crazy!

DJ Surge-N

Can I get a Spinda?
    Years
  • I have always been fond of collecting ever since the start, and having only gotten back into it a few months ago it's still the same as it was those many years ago with the original series. Collecting and completion is great.

However, in saying that I'd really like to play the game at some point. My sister is loving pokemon also so I could perhaps start playing with her. It's a shame because this weekend is the pre-release event for supreme victors here in New Zealand (we're quite behind the US in terms of releases) and we won't get to play. However, I hope from there I'll be able to learn (and so will my sister) so that'll be fun. Primarily though, I want to get hold of the promos and the booster packs and all.

But yeah, collecting.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • It's been many, many moons since I last even touched a Pokemon card, but when I was big into it I only collected them. I recall attempting to play the game on several occasions, but it just didn't work out. I loved the art, though, and I was something of a consumer ***** in my youth... so I still kept buying them.

I think my lack of interest in the actual game is why I started getting into Yu-Gi-Oh and eventually Magic: The Gathering. I was able to catch on quicker and enjoy the game much more. Ironic, because I sincerely doubt the Pokemon TCG is more complicated than Magic...

Years
  • It's been many, many moons since I last even touched a Pokemon card, but when I was big into it I only collected them. I recall attempting to play the game on several occasions, but it just didn't work out. I loved the art, though, and I was something of a consumer ***** in my youth... so I still kept buying them.

I think my lack of interest in the actual game is why I started getting into Yu-Gi-Oh and eventually Magic: The Gathering. I was able to catch on quicker and enjoy the game much more. Ironic, because I sincerely doubt the Pokemon TCG is more complicated than Magic...

It is very much not more complicated than Magic. But I still play both (I've quit Yu-Gi-Oh because of some of it's ridiculous rules).

Drapio

1 + 1 = Cat.
    Years
  • I haven't really played the game, I'm more into the 'real' Pokémongames, if you know what I mean. Platinum for example. I do collect the cards, just because they look so cool. Nothing wrong with playing the game, it's just not my thing. ;D

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Recently started collecting cards, after I found out kawayoo is doing illustrations for the Shirona VS Akagi deck.
    Also found out that TOKIYA is doing art for an Arceus.

I'm pretty amazed at the quality of illustrators they pick up.

Back