• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Columbus didn't discover America [A Lost History Discussion]

Years
  • Correct - He didn't discover America. There were other people who were here way before him. Columbus claimed America. Yeah, I didn't see see the video, but I know that's what it was going to say. Vikings, for one, were here way before Columbus. My facts my not be too accurate, as we learned this in like, 6th grade and that was a few years ago. :x

I learned about it around the same time, but you'd be surprised at how many people are ill informed of that fact. :< Columbus's exploits have been deified in western society, which explains why it's so common a belief.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years

• I learned about it around the same time, but you'd be surprised at how many people are ill informed of that fact. :< Columbus's exploits have been deified in western society, which explains why it's so common a belief.
    I know. They need to give some of the people credit for what they did, even though the Vikings were pretty anonymous. There were the Native Americans as well, which is also a common sign that Columbus didn't discover America. And there was also the Mayans, Aztecs, Inca, etc. They traveled along the Western Coast and down to South America from what I can remember.

Years
  • I know. They need to give some of the people credit for what they did, even though the Vikings were pretty anonymous. There were the Native Americans as well, which is also a common sign that Columbus didn't discover America. And there was also the Mayans, Aztecs, Inca, etc. They traveled along the Western Coast and down to South America from what I can remember.

Exactly. And there's another old story that somehow Phonecian/Proto-Hebrew peoples made it over to the Americas, which is the basis of the Mormon faith. Something to consider. :o

Lunacy Giat

Archaeologist+Pokemon=Awe some?
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2011
    He couldn't "discover" it if it was already there....

Years
  • He couldn't "discover" it if it was already there....

Well he discovered it in the context of Medieval Europe, because apparently they had no idea that the Americas actually existed as a landmass. They believed one could sail due west from the straits of Gibraltar, all the way to the Orient, without hitting land.

Which i don't buy. Skilled Spanish and Portuguese Mariners (which they were, among the best of the time) would know that simple fact. China had known that for centuries already.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
  • What amazes me is the Yonaguni monument.
    I didn't know about that thing, and it seriously is strange.
    I doubt there were no water there a few years back, as I just checked the "maps" of the old world, after Pangea, Cretaceous and all...But then, it seems impossible that humans actually built it, I mean...Underwater ? We could possibly do it with huge cranes ? No way, I say D:

Leave it to Aliens Nature's mysteries ? A natural structure...Though after looking at some pictures, it also seems weird to think it's natural...Geez. xD

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

• One would think that, but you'd be surprised just how many people don't know this fact.

Really? We learned it in Grade 1 in Social Studies, and again in later history classes.

For the rest of them... it was the Templars guys - always the Templars covering it up.

Years
  • Really? We learned it in Grade 1 in Social Studies, and again in later history classes.

For the rest of them... it was the Templars guys - always the Templars covering it up.

Yes.. :/ We were taught that Columbus discovered America until high school or so. (I went to a Private catholic school until then, so that would explain it.) The Vikings didn't get a mention until High School.

Don't forget the Free Masons too.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

• Yes.. :/ We were taught that Columbus discovered America until high school or so. (I went to a Private catholic school until then, so that would explain it.) The Vikings didn't get a mention until High School.

Don't forget the Free Masons too.

Wow... that sounds horribly... backward, really.

And those Freemasons, they're just Templars under a new symbol man. Those Templars and their shenanigans.

Years
  • Wow... that sounds horribly... backward, really.

And those Freemasons, they're just Templars under a new symbol man. Those Templars and their shenanigans.

Well it was an ardent Catholic school where the teachers were all former nuns.. so. Self-Explanatory. xD But it was terribly backward. They aren't too fond of the truth.

Don't forget their eternal battle with the Illuminati over the ancient mystical truth either.

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • Colombus discovered America for the Europeans, but technically he didn't discover it because you can't discover a place that already has humans in it -.- I think it was generalized that Colombus found it because the Europeans only cared about themselves and thought they overpowered the Native Americans.

Also, it's because of him that Europeans started going to America, and so the Colombus exchange was established, and that was very important because goods from all over the world was traded in and out of the Americas, thus making America what it is today. Not to forget that Pizza and Milo were created thanks to the Colombus exchange ^_^

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • History has always been skewed. If you look at old Canadian history textbooks (that in the grand scheme of things aren't that old at all..) they refer to Native Americans as "Savages"
    :/ That's proof enough..

Years
  • History has always been skewed. If you look at old Canadian history textbooks (that in the grand scheme of things aren't that old at all..) they refer to Native Americans as "Savages"
    :/ That's proof enough..

Pretty much. :/ *points towards relevant Napoleon quote in OP*

Same with old USA texts. Up until recently (say the 70's-80's) you could find blatantly racist, homophobic and all around ignorant material in them. All of which is quite untrue.

Nitronite

You wanted something?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    Gosh, all of you are using such BIG words...
    I'm just gonna put its straight to the point. It wasn't Columbus who discovered America, he FOUND it. Like in a game where you hide one thing and a person goes to find it. He knew something was there, the hiders try to divert him with lies, eventually he finds it after deciding NOT to trust them. No one really knows who discovered America, but we know he wasn't the first. He gets that title because he goes everywhere telling everyone about it, and soon all of Europe thinks he is a Discoverer. Oh, and because of his really big flop of thinking it was Japan(or something). We know he wasn't the first because they found a viking helmet(possibly from one of Erik the Red's people) there, dating from almost two hundred(or thousand... my memory is failing me) years before Christopher was even born.
    So there.

Years
  • Gosh, all of you are using such BIG words...
    I'm just gonna put its straight to the point. It wasn't Columbus who discovered America, he FOUND it. Like in a game where you hide one thing and a person goes to find it. He knew something was there, the hiders try to divert him with lies, eventually he finds it after deciding NOT to trust them. No one really knows who discovered America, but we know he wasn't the first. He gets that title because he goes everywhere telling everyone about it, and soon all of Europe thinks he is a Discoverer. Oh, and because of his really big flop of thinking it was Japan(or something). We know he wasn't the first because they found a viking helmet(possibly from one of Erik the Red's people) there, dating from almost two hundred(or thousand... my memory is failing me) years before Christopher was even born.
    So there.

You are correct. "Discovered" is only used form a European perspective though, because at the time they had no knowledge of the American content. So in the context of the 15th Century European world, Columbus "Discovered" America. Even though now we know the Norse landed in Newfoundland in AD 1000, and Native American tribes had been living here for millennia already. It's from the European perspective.

Back