• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Come to the Dark Side

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I will quote Squall from Final Fantasy VIII regarding my view on "good" and "evil":

"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views."

Real life isn't made up of the good people and the bad people, and to lump characters into this is not only overly simplistic to me, but plain boring. There is nothing challenging about being flat-out told that "these are the good guys; those are the bad guys." It particularly makes little sense in an RP, where nearly every character is played by a single person. A character without a single redeeming trait becomes very grating very quickly. I've seen this first hand. Likewise, a character who has no flaws is also equally annoying. I don't see what I perceive as more realistic morality as being gray, so much as being normal and healthy for both reality and a story. Black and white are the weird ones to me and the only ones worthy of having a distinction.

When I create a character, I don't think of them as being either a villain or a good guy. I create them as a person first, one who has flaws and one who has redeeming characteristics. Even when I have played a person who opposes the views of most of the characters (basically, the villain), I don't see them as just a villain. They're a person too. They care about their cause just like anyone else. And even if it may be misguided or their methods borderline psychotic or questionable, they find it to be just.

Back