• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Completing Your Pokedex For The First Time

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2018
    How did you complete yours for the first time and which game was it?

Mine was on AS.

It began Christmas 2015 when I treated myself to a Nintendo 3DS & Y.

My starter was Fennekin and I found this newest generation frustrating from the onset. The graphics have become more childish, the newly revised experience share made leveling up way too easy and trapping Furfrou with Shauna was infuriating because I hate puzzles.

When I finally conquered the champions league and caught a few legendary's I thought this would be the last time I ever touched the franchise.

Then I got AS which reminded me why I loved Pokemon in the first place. Flying into space with Rayquaza during The Delta episode left me memorized and is by far the pinnacle experience I've had in all my years playing the games. The graphics are a lot softer and most what was bad about Y was fixed so I went on catching as many Pokemon as possible.

After a while I got a bit stuck so I became a member on here to complete my pokedex and you helped. First by giving me a warm welcome and then through trade corner.

To begin with I was too technophobic to take advantage of DaylightDreams awesome giveaway but she was understanding throughout and saved what I requested days later.

Prior to launching my Pokedex thread I was anxious because I still had many I could catch, evolve or breed through OR/AS & Y. This lead me to restarting Y so I could get my second legendary bird Pokemon which was 8 hours of marching through a land I grew to like. I did the same with OR so the rest of the starters could be mine.

Here are my top five most frustrating moments completing the Dex

FIVE: Regigigas
    This was more like completing a maze than catching a pokemon. An endless nightmare if your a casual gamer and you don't have an online guide to follow.

Four: Dratini & Staryu
    I've joined an elite group of fisherman who've spent hours trying to hook up with these two. I see Wailmer in my nightmares and would sacrifice my vegiterian priciples if I could get rid of the lot.

Three: Making Feebas Beutiful
    Anything that deviates from the from the normal steps of evolution sucks but this one particuly so. Who really wants to spend Pokemon hunting down berries?

Two: Articuno & Zapdos
    Can anyone mash up that family guy clip where Stewie shoots Peter for singing bird is the word but kills the legendary birds in xy instead? Having to hunt down these Pokemon is bad enough but eleven times is beyond tedious.

One: Heatmor
    Not only do you have to spend ages using sweet scent hunting Heatmor in a herd, it gets destroyed by Durants before you even have a chance to throw a pokeball. Frustrating but an agreeable type of difficult I can put up with unlike some of the others on my list.

I completed my Pokedex this weekend after trading with Namie & hhDude through trade corner. Thanks a lot guys because you've helped me fufil my inner childs dream!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I was very close to completing the Dex once in Pokémon Emerald, but wound up losing motivation eventually. At the time, the Pokémon that I needed were nearly to get a hold of.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • The first time I completed the Pokedex was in Pokemon Platinum. My mom surprised me and bought both the game as well as the guide book for me. I decided since I had this book that told me everything about the game why not do everything in the game.

Completing the Pokedex was only challenging because I wanted to also have a level fifty of every fully evolved Pokemon (so later I would have more choices for the battle frontier) so that took a lot of grinding. I also made it a rule that I can only bring Pokemon from other games if they couldn't otherwise be caught in Platinum.
    It took years and I had to trade away one of my Jirachi and shiny Suicunes but I finally had a 100% complete Pokedex.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I never completed the pokedex, but I do have an interesting and infuriating story on the topic.

So last year I decided I would finally complete an item on my bucket list: the pokedex. So I set out to transfer all my pokemon from previous games to my version of AS: platinum, white (1 and 2), and X & Y. If I could find it in ORAS I did not transfer it and that left me with around 200 pokemon still needed to be caught or trained up to evolve, or bred to get the baby stage. Anyway, after a lot of training, catching, and riding my bike for hours and hours, I narrowed the pool down to around 18, mainly consisting of legendaries (that somehow disappeared from previous games--zekrom, reshiram, kyurem, dialga, palkia, crescilia, giratina... etc. which were pokemon I knew I caught but I just couldn't find them or they got deleted when using PokeTransfer) Anyway, I narrowed it down and couldn't get much farther without events coming out for pokemon like Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, etc. (basically all the pokemon that are coming out this year). So I put the game down for a little bit and was waiting for events. I picked it back up one day and went to go play it and found out that the game card wouldn't read in any of my 3ds'. My heart broke, I was so close, I lost everything, my lvl 100 teams from 5 games, ~700 pokemon, and at least 1000 hours of accumulated game play. I was devastated, and now I have to start over. It sucks.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    My first completed Pokedex was in Gold. (I subsequently went back and finished the Red Pokedex.) When I first played Gold, I tried to catch Pokemon, but didn't really make a conscious effort to train lots of them or complete my Pokedex. Over time, however, I realized that I had made progress on my Pokedex, as I gathered up the version exclusives, starters, and other hard-to-get Pokemon. I remember when I received a Mew from a friend; I realized then that I actually had the possibility of completing the 250 Pokemon Pokedex, which I hadn't thought possible up to that point. Sometime thereafter, I went through my Pokedex and wrote down all of the Pokemon I needed. I then hunted them down one by one. My goal was to obtain at least one Pokemon per hour, on average (i.e., I wanted to complete my Pokedex before my game hit 250 hours), and I started out somewhat behind (as I had wasted a lot of time doing things other than catching Pokemon in my game).

The most annoying Pokemon to obtain was Omanyte. I had always chosen the Dome Fossil in RBY, and I wasn't much interested in restarting a file just to get a fossil. However, my friend had a copy of Yellow without any meaningful data on it, so I started that and played all the way through to get Omanyte. That was definitely more than one hour for a Pokemon (though since it wasn't on Gold itself, it didn't count towards my clock time). However, there was something very rewarding about going to so much trouble to obtain one (or two, once it evolved) Pokemon for my Pokedex.

The last Pokemon I caught was Unown. For some reason, the Ruins of Alph scared me when I first started playing. The music and sounds reminded me of Missingno, for some reason, and I was a little worried they would corrupt my game at first. By the time I figured out that they were meant to be encountered by the player, I had moved past the Ruins of Alph, and never got around to returning for a comprehensive Unown search until the end of my Pokedex completion. I did complete the Unown Dex in the end too, though.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I never completed the Pokedex, unfortunately! I'm currently working my way to it in Pokemon OmegaRuby though. The DexNav makes searching much easier, there's online trading for Pokemon not in-game and of course there's my sister's AlphaSapphire game for version-exclusives.

Back