• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer/OS Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Well, I may get a new laptop this year... Well... I tell you more infomation about it, I am sure it's better than my desktop computer that I am currently using.. (it's a cheap one.... I can't do much with it... lol.)

Anyway, I installed Windows 2000 on my vmWare and It was faster instead of the one I installed on Virtual PC 8 months ago... :P..

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Hey, Shining Arcanine. Could you describe your case or post a picture? I'm curious. ^_^; What did you say was the cooling on yours?

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
The cooling and power parts are going to be replaced this Christmas. I didn't have the funds to get anything other than what I had when I build it. ^_^;;

Here is a link to the listing on the site where I brought my PC's case:

http://compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=osn105jm7vq1nka&id=1000057

Edit: Here are the upgrades I am planning for my computer in the order that I plan to do them:

1. Power and Cooling Parts.

2. 2 72GB Raptor Hard Drives in a RAID 0 Config

3. Smart Display LCD Monitor (I orignally wanted a 3D OLED Smart Display but none of those 3 technologies have been combined so I will have to settle, ^_^;; ), new speakers, mouse, keyboard.

4. New Scanner to replace the one that failed last summer.

I can't think of any other upgrades to plan for. The parts inside my computer could probably stand an upgrade in 2.5 years but I doubt I will do it considering that I don't need more speed.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
I might get this laptop from Dell for christmas:
Pentium 4 Processor 2.27 gHZ
30 GB Harddrive
8x DVD Drive/4x CD Writer Combo
256 MB Memory
Windows XP Professional SP1
14 inch screen

Shingo`

The `Latios` Owner
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2004
A company's garbage can be your dreams =D
* Found a mp3 player and a 10/100-BaseT NIC in there *

Custom Built
- 10/100 Ethernet (Linksys)
- 56k modem (US Robotics)
- Westell 2200 DSL modem (umm... don't ask.)
- Audigy2 6-speaker/sub setup
- RAID 0 Configuration, Western Digital 120GB HDD, Maxtor 4.3GB HDD
-Iomega NAS 1.4TB (Network storage)
- nVidia GeForceFX 5800 (found that digging through my 'piles' near the bed)
- 3.50GHz Intel P4/HyperThreading
- 3.44GHz Intel P4/HyperThreading (dual cpu)
- Plextor PleXwriter PX-504UF

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Well, My computer got upgraded again..

DELL DIM 2350
INTEL CELERON PRO. AT 2.0 GHZ (1999 mHZ)
384 MB OF MEMORY (128MB AND 256MB DDR DIMMS)
30 GB HARDDRIVE FORMATTED NTFS
12x LITEON DVD DRIVE
56k MODEM
32MB INTEL INTERGRATED GRAPHICS
100mps/10MB INTERGRATED NETWORK CARD.

Shingo`

The `Latios` Owner
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2004
Anyone have dream computers with OC-48 internet connections? *drools*

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Shingo` said:
A company's garbage can be your dreams =D
* Found a mp3 player and a 10/100-BaseT NIC in there *

Custom Built
- 10/100 Ethernet (Linksys)
- 56k modem (US Robotics)
- Westell 2200 DSL modem (umm... don't ask.)
- Audigy2 6-speaker/sub setup
- RAID 0 Configuration, Western Digital 120GB HDD, Maxtor 4.3GB HDD
-Iomega NAS 1.4TB (Network storage)
- nVidia GeForceFX 5800 (found that digging through my 'piles' near the bed)
- 3.50GHz Intel P4/HyperThreading
- 3.44GHz Intel P4/HyperThreading (dual cpu)
- Plextor PleXwriter PX-504UF
Shingo, that RAID setup must be pretty small. You are limited to 8.6GB in it due to the way striping works. How do you bare it?

Intel has never made a dual CPU motherboard where both CPUs can have different clockspeeds. How did you pull it off?

Also, you must have a super cooling solution since the heat generated by those CPUs alone should be enough to fry every component in your system. What do you use to cool them?

What are your memory settings in the basic input/output system on your computer?

Also, how loud is your GeForce 5800. I hear it is comparable to a vaccum cleaner or a jet engine but never have been able to find someone with that part to ask about it.

Shingo`

The `Latios` Owner
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2004
Shingo, that RAID setup must be pretty small. You are limited to 8.6GB in it due to the way striping works. How do you bare it?

ANSWER RAID 0- It makes Windows think that two drives are ONE.

Intel has never made a dual CPU motherboard where both CPUs can have different clockspeeds. How did you pull it off?

ANSWER Who said I used an Intel motherboard?

Also, you must have a super cooling solution since the heat generated by those CPUs alone should be enough to fry every component in your system. What do you use to cool them?

ANSWER Hydro cooling system, and AlienIce (www.alienware.com, k00l case also).

What are your memory settings in the basic input/output system on your computer?

What?

Also, how loud is your GeForce 5800. I hear it is comparable to a vaccum cleaner or a jet engine but never have been able to find someone with that part to ask about it.

ANSWER *Ears bomb* It's not really THAT loud, but it's sort of... *pulls out earplugs* what?

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Haruka said:
Cool! I already knew... I wish I had a copy so I can install it on vmWare to try it out..

The current builds are pre-alpha so you shouldn't install them. Wait until 2005/2006 for Longhorn to come out.

Shingo` said:
ANSWER RAID 0- It makes Windows think that two drives are ONE.

ANSWER Who said I used an Intel motherboard?

ANSWER Hydro cooling system, and AlienIce (www.alienware.com, k00l case also).

What?

ANSWER *Ears bomb* It's not really THAT loud, but it's sort of... *pulls out earplugs* what?
For one thing, Windows has to have a RAID driver. Another thing is that every other cluster is added to the virtual drive. Since the 4.3GB drive will run out of clusters before the 120GB one will, you will only get 8.6GB out of it. You should know that having done a RAID 0 with them.

Another thing that you should know that I stated in my previous post that your computer's configuration is impossible to obtain simply because... It is not possible to have dual P4 processors clocked higher than any P4 on the market operating at different clocks in a computer even if you overclock them. Therefore you are lying.

Harbinger of Chaos

Chaos of the World
Years
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 8000
Debian GNU/Linux Unstable (Sid)
1000 Mhz Pentium III
256 MB RAM
ATI Mobility M4 (Based on Rage 128) 32MB
32 GB Hard Drive
8x DVD-ROM
Modular Floppy Drive
Modular 12x (I think) CD-RW
Extra Battery
Screen has some problems, and the pointing stick is broken (still have the touchpad, though)

Desktop
Custom
No OS now (unused) Planned: Either Win98 (games) or dual-boot Debian/Win98
416 Mhz Pentium II (Overclocked from 333 Mhz)
320 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 7500 64MB
2x 20 GB Hard Drives
16x DVD-ROM
LS-120 Disk Drive
External Backpack 4x CD-RW
15" Flatpanel Monitor

Handheld
Sharp Zaurus SL-5600
Runs Linux, but nothing on there now, I'm working on a custom ROM.
400 Mhz Intel Xscale
32 MB RAM
32 MB Flash RAM (storage)
32 MB Flash ROM (OS image)
240x320 Touch Screen
Sliding-panel covered keyboard
64 MB SD Card
256 MB Compact Flash Card
Linksys WCF12 Wireless Compact Flash Card

Yep, there you have it. My precioussseses (ok, so I can't spell that word well ;) ).

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Wow, you have an LS-120 Drive too? Do you know that they are now refered to as SuperDisks. lol I wish Imation didn't discontinue them... Considering my drive doesn't read its own disks anymore and I can't find a replacement at CompUSA (too lazy to search the net ATM).

Look into installing Windows XP on your desktop and laptop. Perhaps Windows Embedded 2003 on your PDA. You shouldn't be disappointed.

Shingo`

The `Latios` Owner
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2004
I took the 4.3 out. Forgot to mention that earlier. I added a new 120GB from Maxtor and a 120 from WD. Also, my motherboard has Firewire-800 support and SATA in its logic (hehe, faster than IDE/EIDE/SCSI!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back